The 2012 Weekend Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um... is this thread only for comedy writers or can anyone join in?

Before joinging AW I was working to an outdated copy of Writer's Market, which stated that 'novel length should be around 195K words'. I completed my novel at 196K. Then I found AW and discovered the (arghhhhh) truth. That's got to qualify as funny, right?

But I've been cutting and cutting and cutting... and I've got the behemoth down to 120K - by today's count. Only another...pant...20K... to...go.

*staggers out of thread*

theelfchild

Thinking up something clever
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Anyone can join, don't worry. *hands Gail a cookie to provide strength for editing*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to all Weekend Updaters, past, present and future. Yes, it's a new thread for a new year!

To refresh for those long-time Progress Reporters and to clarify for all the new ones -- we're here to help you achieve your goals by being the place where you're accountable, being a cheering section, the shoulder to cry on, the folks who say those people who rejected you are fools, FOOLS, and they'll rue the day, the folks who cheer wildly when you get an acceptance, and so on.

The "Rules" for posting here are pretty simple.

1. You don't have to write humor to post here -- any writer writing in any or all genres can post here. But you can be funny if you want. We're all over the funny.
2. Every weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Sunday, we post the progress we've made with our various writing careers. This includes whatever you consider part of your career -- writing, editing, submitting, critiquing, promotion, brainstorming, research, etc. It's your career, it's up to you.
3. How to report? Give us your word count for the week, your submissions for the week, the number of words you edited during the week, any acceptances garnered, and anything else you did to move your career forward. It's that simple.
4. Since many writers are also artists and musicians, we count art- and music-related progress as well, as long as it's also part of your overall career.
5. The WPR Dominatrix (that's me) hands out virtual prizes and encouragements and so forth. We occasionally have a Guest Dominatrix because, thanks in great part to this thread, I'm traveling frequently these days. Sometimes there are reporting challenges that all are encouraged to participate in, since they build writing skills (we swear).
6. There are prizes for: The most words written in a week; the most submissions for the week; the most words edited for the week; the first to report each Friday; and the last to come in late (we don't encourage competition for this one!); the exciting news of the week (like acceptances, media coverage, getting paid, etc.); and, 2010's fave new award, the best sucking up to the thread leader. Sometimes the WPR Dominatrix hands out extra prizes, depending on her mood and what someone's done. You never can tell.
7. What counts for submissions? Anything where your piece could be rejected. Blogs count for word count, but not for submission, UNLESS your blog can (really and truly) be rejected by someone else other than yourself, aka an actual editor/boss. When posting, be sure to make the distinction for a rejectable blog, so it can count in your submissions tally for the week.
8. Remember that being accountable helps achieve goals. We encourage updates even when someone hasn't done anything or anything much. The act of reporting IS an important step, and we want to hear from you, even if it's to say you achieved squat for the week.
9. Yes, if you drift away and come back there are no penalties. This is a support thread, not your job or your mom. Therefore, it's up to you how frequently you update. Studies have shown that being accountable is a huge factor in success (seriously, and we are not making this up), but it's all down to you, and we will not be down ON you.

Still confused about how it works? Check out the 2010 & 2011 threads for examples.

So, welcome to 2012, the start of the next decade for those who refused to believe 2011 was the actual start! Let's make 2012 the Year of the Updaters and really achieve those career goals!

Last edited by a moderator:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
*walks in...looks around...kicks thread's tires....*

*sucks in lungfull of air*

Don't you just love that new thread smell?

*goes back to 2011 thread for his nanner...returns with nanner and tucks it away in his...um...sooper sekrut nanner hidey hole*

Okay, let the games begin.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Nanner!

I wrote a bunch of pages of possible scenes in my notebook. I was supposed to do 10K, according to Ally, but...

Yeah, right.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
On the outside chance that accountabilty might fertilize my driver I'm going to give it a shot .. I may eventually get around to reporting word count but is so hard to find that little 'tools' button in what is usually my 'present state'. I'll settle for item reports for now.

1.Started my first blog, inspired by a chihuahua of all things. I even managed to put the URL in my signature.

2.Now that I have decided to attribute mis-spelling to typo error, my mis-spellings have dropped a little, though the typo count is climbing.

3. I have found a loving, supporting, mod here who will cradle me through the process of getting better and better each week.

By the way Haggis, this may help with what you call a new thread smell

old-spice-high-endurance-deodorant.jpg

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um... is this thread only for comedy writers or can anyone join in?

Before joinging AW I was working to an outdated copy of Writer's Market, which stated that 'novel length should be around 195K words'. I completed my novel at 196K. Then I found AW and discovered the (arghhhhh) truth. That's got to qualify as funny, right?

But I've been cutting and cutting and cutting... and I've got the behemoth down to 120K - by today's count. Only another...pant...20K... to...go.

*staggers out of thread*

Welcome to the Progress Report thread.

Since you're the first to report you get the always coveted nanner
:banana::banana::banana:

Editing
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nanner!

I wrote a bunch of pages of possible scenes in my notebook. I was supposed to do 10K, according to Ally, but...

Yeah, right.

Written pages
:Clap::Clap::Clap:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the outside chance that accountabilty might fertilize my driver I'm going to give it a shot .. I may eventually get around to reporting word count but is so hard to find that little 'tools' button in what is usually my 'present state'. I'll settle for item reports for now.

1.Started my first blog, inspired by a chihuahua of all things. I even managed to put the URL in my signature.

2.Now that I have decided to attribute mis-spelling to typo error, my mis-spellings have dropped a little, though the typo count is climbing.

3. I have found a loving, supporting, mod here who will cradle me through the process of getting better and better each week.

By the way Haggis, this may help with what you call a new thread smell

old-spice-high-endurance-deodorant.jpg

Blog
:hooray::hooray::hooray:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's the first report of 2012 I'm going to be easy on the lack of word counts.
Remember weekly updates should include word counts, written edited etc for the week.
Next week the beating shall commence for those who neglect to include word counts.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
everybody knows you can't beat Porter ....

... well not without an appointment anyway.

Last edited:

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
Nanner!

Yeah, right.

The 10k was her idea! Though she made pouty faces at me until I forgave her, so I won't scold her anymore.

I'll report back tomorrow. I want to finish the 10k I set out to do.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
6103 on the WIP

One blog post

Began a novel length crit - I'm halfway thru it.

Watch out, 2012. This year, it's personal.

6,103 words
:Clap::Clap::Clap:

1 blog post
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be careful of that fairy, Haggis. She's tougher than she looks

funny-pictures-is-it-just-me-or-do-the-garden-faeries-seem-more-aggressive-this-year.jpg

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
Happy new year folks! :partyguy:

Word-count for the week: 7333 for the week.
I also hit over 200 pages for my novel. That just feels really impressive to me.

For January, I'm pledging myself to write at least 100 words, every day. So is Yeshanu, so hold us accountable!

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I meant to come back regularly, really I did! But I had a two week+ assignment during the holidays that kicked my a-- - about 30K words worth (I realize that doesn't count for the past week.)

I'm planning on dropping in much more often this year as it helps keep me focused, allows me to see my little old-timer pals and possibly mock you newbie-ish types (there are so many of you...new to me, that is).

To keep myself accountable this week:

• I will do something besides Spider Solitaire and study Italian, Argentine, Spanish and Chilean red wines.

Status
Not open for further replies.