• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first negative comment on my latest chapter T___T

makes me sad, especially because it was such a personal one.

Don't let it get to you too much. It's only one comment. I'm sure if you keep plugging along, getting more comments, things will change for the better. Hang in there.

AGreyWorld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
agreyworld.wordpress.com
Don't let it get to you too much. It's only one comment. I'm sure if you keep plugging along, getting more comments, things will change for the better. Hang in there.

Thanks, it was one where I could see what they were saying, but had reasons not to agree - I might change some of the future chapters though and bring some things forwards, because it is useful to get an idea how other readers might be starting to think.

All feedback is constructive, and tbh negative is usually more useful. Still a blow though...

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Realized that holding me back was the scene, it was difficult and tough for me personally to deal with. Once I forced myself to push through, it got easier. Other stuff, not so much.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is in the recommended length territory and no end is in sight. I'm stuck on the current scene, and my critique partner is on vacation so I can't bounce ideas off of anyone. :(

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I've bitten the bullet and bought some key books for researching my next book. It feels frivolous and wrong to be thinking about this one before my current one is submitted, but I can't progress till my beta readers get back to me and not writing is making me miserable as hell.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finding out my current opening is a yawner. I was told to start as close to "the trouble" as I could, but now I'm writing a new opening where we meet all the main characters but the "the trouble" is no closer.

wolfking

From the Depths he comes
Registered
Reaction score
Upset at the fact a newly released novel has the same name for its villain. Efffffff.....

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having the lonely blues about mine. I write some every day, but not as much as I'd like, and it all seems like crap. I know it's just a dry spell and that I'll get back in the groove soon, but still...

fiendish

nightwriter
Registered
Reaction score
I've bitten the bullet and bought some key books for researching my next book. It feels frivolous and wrong to be thinking about this one before my current one is submitted, but I can't progress till my beta readers get back to me and not writing is making me miserable as hell.

Working on the next book is definitely neither frivolous nor wrong. Enjoy it! There is absolutely no point in being miserable if you can work on a book instead. :D

Thinking that, after a day spent at a tile factory and a badly air conditioned IKEA with a baby, I'm amazed at what I can still do at the keyboard. But then, the only other option (besides sleep) is being miserable too. Not an option.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
You could split it into two volumes. I think that's what I'm going to have to end up doing..

That's probably what I'll end up doing. :) I'm going to write until I'm done and see where I end up. If I have to split it up, it won't hurt my feelings.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I didn't write much yesterday. I had one of those days where I just felt sorry for myself and my sucky writing "ability", and I just feel/felt like I am/was completely stagnant. Like I'm not getting worse, but I'm not getting better either. It's just all....depressing. :/

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having the lonely blues about mine. I write some every day, but not as much as I'd like, and it all seems like crap. I know it's just a dry spell and that I'll get back in the groove soon, but still...

And having posted that yesterday afternoon, this morning I woke up and did one of my writing prompt exercises and boom! off to the races again.

Sometimes you just have to allow yourself a little time to sulk, I guess.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Starting on research and plotting for The Next Book.
Stupidly excited! Want to tell everyone! Know I mustn't tell everyone! So I am boring them with random factoids from my research instead, like Anne Boleyn buying the King's son Fitzroy a horse as a present in 1530, but it was a really rubbish horse and not even in good condition.

MrsMig, glad it's picked up again!

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Nekko -- Congrats! You're in the game now--sometimes it's even fun. :)

I've had a great week for new words--almost 10K on my main WIP & some polishing, adding foreshadowing to the beginning, etc., along with studying & classes & promo & etc. This game has a way of yanking the chair right out from under you, though. Woke up to a surprise review (I usually don't read those in the morning) that started out great but ended with the reviewer hating almost every odd little thing that she'd picked the book up for in the first place. Sometimes you just can't win. Or it's me. No writing until I can resist the urge to write a nice, normal Romance with rich (maybe a billionaire??) alpha characters who do predictable things.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing my query and my MS is almost ready to send out to agents--and I want to puke. All. The. Time. I'm having an awful time with it. I'm convinced I've written something so awful I'll get instant rejections as soon as anyone pops the email open. I feel like I'm standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon and going "I said I wanted to jump into that? HA!"

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Well, I didn't write much yesterday. I had one of those days where I just felt sorry for myself and my sucky writing "ability", and I just feel/felt like I am/was completely stagnant. Like I'm not getting worse, but I'm not getting better either. It's just all....depressing. :/

*commiserates* *offers selection of chocolates or alternative pick-me-upper* Everyone has those days. Just keep your eyes on the horizon (or another piece of chocolate).

I just took my first baby step on the road to becoming published - I made my first ever submission to a magazine!

Tomorrow - I seek and submit elsewhere....

:hooray: Good luck!!

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Writing is, by far, the most insane thing I've ever done. It's not a job, it's part of me, part of who I am. And as much as I love art, as good as I am at it, it doesn't come close to the experience of writing. And as much as I loved teaching little kids, it can't compare to how I feel about writing. I can't explain it. I love it, I need it, it scares me, inspires me, tortures me, fulfills me. It's like I found a part of myself I never knew was missing.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Finally decided to keep my story as a novel. However, at this point, it's starting to look like I'm going to have to re-write everything all over again. I realized that the sheer number of times that I've edited the pre-existing text has made it uneven, repetitive, confusing & just plain illogical.

Already started. Plan to post the new draft of a scene tomorrow afternoon in SYW. I pray to god I'm getting better. Pretty sure I am.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Good luck Nekko! Well done for biting the bullet.
Nekko -- Congrats! You're in the game now--sometimes it's even fun. :)
:hooray: Good luck!!
Thanks everyone! You guys know how to make a girl feel loved!:e2flowers

Starting on research and plotting for The Next Book. Stupidly excited! Want to tell everyone! Know I mustn't tell everyone! So I am boring them with random factoids from my research instead!
That is one of the fun things about writing a book! Enjoy the process!

This game has a way of yanking the chair right out from under you, though. Woke up to a surprise review (I usually don't read those in the morning) that started out great but ended with the reviewer hating almost every odd little thing that she'd picked the book up for in the first place.
Ugh! A kick in the pants is never a fun way to start your morning! She's just one person, don't let her keep you down.:Hug2:

I'm writing my query and my MS is almost ready to send out to agents--and I want to puke. All. The. Time. I'm having an awful time with it. I'm convinced I've written something so awful I'll get instant rejections as soon as anyone pops the email open. I feel like I'm standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon and going "I said I wanted to jump into that? HA!"
Back away Little A...nice and easy now.
Submitting a short story wasn't too painful, perhaps because I haven't invested as much blood, sweat, and tears into it as my long WIP. That I'm terrified of submitting. Good luck. You know that we're all rooting for you!

Writing is, by far, the most insane thing I've ever done. It's not a job, it's part of me, part of who I am. And as much as I love art, as good as I am at it, it doesn't come close to the experience of writing. And as much as I loved teaching little kids, it can't compare to how I feel about writing. I can't explain it. I love it, I need it, it scares me, inspires me, tortures me, fulfills me. It's like I found a part of myself I never knew was missing.
Even your emotes are well written. I think too few people find what they love. I'm glad you found yours, even if a times it tortures you. :)

fiendish

nightwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Wishing I'd spent the last hour writing my book, rather than reading the c**p that is someone else's bestseller. :rant: One for the 'Books you've thrown across the room with force' thread, except that I can't bring myself to do that to even the worst books. Maybe I should this time - it might make me feel better.

Or perhaps I'll just get on with mine instead, particularly since I seem to remember making some kind of breakthrough on Friday night.

Okay, I think I've just talked myself out of my fury - on with work ...