What's a good price for sketch/lineart commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I have no drawing skills, whatsoever. But I do have digital coloring knowledge and have been practicing for years to improve.

So, I had an idea. Would it be okay to commission an artist for a sketch/lineart for a cover, and then color it myself? What would be a decent (cheap yet good) price to ask for a lineart commission?

Of course, I'd credit the artist for his/her work.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Heya,

It's absolutely okay to commission an artist for line art or pencils. In the comic business at least it's fairly common to divide jobs up this way--line artist, sketch artist. If it were me, I'd hit up sites like deviant art and browse portfolios until you find someone you like, and then make them a proposal.

I happen to manage an artist's portfolio and social media for him, and try to get him jobs. He'd charge you between 5 to 30 USD for line art, depending on the complexity of what you need. You can check out his portfolio here.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Let me hand the computer over to my artist friend who's visiting at the moment, this question's right up his alley...

Hey, I personally prefer Line Art and Pencil work to doing all of the above. Usually if it's a cover piece (11x17 is standard), it's around $20-$25, then for the inks it's usually another $10-15 on top of that. In all honesty, Inks are where a lot of the definition for the lineart comes from so it can take longer than the initial sketch itself.

If you want to see what I'm talking about here's a link to my personal Deviant Art. If you have any more questions drop me a line through there :). Good luck!

Last edited:

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Good price for line artist

Yeah, it is totally fine to commission an artist for the pencil or line art because comic business requires division of jobs. Line artists normally charge $5-$25 but it depends upon the complexity of your requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.