What are you reading?

theantisplice

Punctual
Registered
Reaction score
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Almost to the end. It's interesting, and I feel like it's building up to something big. Guess I'll see soon...

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
I just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. Which I loved.

Now I'm starting Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and The Scot, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by Annette Blair. Something a bit more serious with something light and fun. Sounds perfect to me.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Dean Koontz's latest, Breathless. Now I'm about to start Three Days To Dead by our very own Chaostitan! :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Joy Fielding's Still Life. A bit predictable, and I skimmed some, but it was fun.

Currently into Three Days To Dead. Not my usual genre, but I am definitely enjoying it!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions

Not really a fan of the book but of the paltry stock of books I have but have not read, it's the one I feel I should labour through.

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lee Child's Echo Burning. I like his Jack Reacher character, and am working my way through the series.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
And what do you think about the idea of a novel within the novel? Atwood is one of my favs. Great writer, and ingenious.

She IS a great writer! As for the 'novel within the novel' idea - it's interesting, especially reading it for the second time (everything makes more sense this time around, haha). I like that the two stories run parallel to one another, and trying to link them, event to event; I also like that the tale of the blind assassin/mute girl is a 'story within a story within a story'. Old-woman-Iris's voice is fun to read, too, because she's so critical of everything.

I can totally see why Atwood is one of your favs - she may become one of mine, too. It's on to Alias Grace after this...

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
She IS a great writer! As for the 'novel within the novel' idea - it's interesting, especially reading it for the second time (everything makes more sense this time around, haha). I like that the two stories run parallel to one another, and trying to link them, event to event; I also like that the tale of the blind assassin/mute girl is a 'story within a story within a story'. Old-woman-Iris's voice is fun to read, too, because she's so critical of everything.

I can totally see why Atwood is one of your favs - she may become one of mine, too. It's on to Alias Grace after this...

Oh yes, absolutely! The old Iris's voice was, for long time, some sort of "role-model-in-writing" to me. Although I don't write in 1st pov, I like to think that this is how I wish I write, if I ever convince myself to use 1st pov. I agree with you about the blind assassin/mute girl's story -- quite fascinating.

Try also The Handmaid's Tale -- I didn't see the movie, though.

*~~* Merry Christmas to you, too!*~~*

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Flying Troutmans Miriam Toews. First book of hers that I've read but fell in love immediately with her style and voice.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Flying Troutmans Miriam Toews. First book of hers that I've read but fell in love immediately with her style and voice.
It's not her best. But if you like it, you really MUST pick up a copy of A Complicated Kindness. It's one of my all-time favourite reads. You'll LOVE it!!

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. So far, I'm very intrigued and I'm liking her writing style.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Fugitive Pieces. The first novel by Canadian poet Anne Michaels.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
It's not her best. But if you like it, you really MUST pick up a copy of A Complicated Kindness. It's one of my all-time favourite reads. You'll LOVE it!!

Thank you, CaroGirl! I just ordered the book through the Interlibrary Loan Service. I didn't know about this writer and now, you and Kathleen42 have stirred my curiosity.

I'm reading The Fiery Pantheon, by Nancy Lemann, while waiting for Toews's book to arrive.

Adagio

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, CaroGirl! I just ordered the book through the Interlibrary Loan Service. I didn't know about this writer and now, you and Kathleen42 have stirred my curiosity.

I'm reading The Fiery Pantheon, by Nancy Lemann, while waiting for Toews's book to arrive.

Adagio
Cool! Let me know how you like it...