Mail box locations name

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
This has been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks now.

Like so many things, this has gone upscale with Mail Boxes, Etc, and the UPS Stores, but I'm assuming that in certain areas, like around colleges, there are still places that provide mail box service to people that are not the US Post Office. I remember them having a specific name, but it's been a long time and maybe I'm wrong.

So anyone know what these places are called?

Rep points to all who help.

Best of luck

Jim Clark-Dawe

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean what we call an individual store that receives packages on behalf of others, or are you looking for a chain name that's escaping you? Between the UPS Store and Mailboxes, Etc, you just named the two largest.

They're called independent mail service providers, or agents. See USPS Form 1583, which is the form a person needs to fill out to utilize the services of any of these agencies.

~ Anna

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
The collective street name. It seems to me there was a one or two word name to describe them, rather than "independent mail service provider" or "mailbox store."

Jim

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my day to day, I just hear people call them mailbox providers, or mailbox stores, followed by, "you know, like a UPS store." -- seems the UPS Store brand is fairly prolific in all the places I've lived.

~ Anna

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
letterbox?

mail drop?

private post office?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In school in the late 1970's we referred to the place as the "drop box." As in "I gotta hit the drop box on the way home." It was actually a counter at the Five and Dime though...

Jeff

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I think "drop box" is what I was thinking of, but I'm going to use "mail drop" to make it clearer to the reader.

You can still find places where the mail boxes are a part of the total operation and not the whole thing. Mail Boxes, Etc. and UPS Stores are too corporate and organized so my character won't use those. But there are plenty of smaller operators where nobody does a lot of checking of people.

Thank you for all of the assistance.

Jim Clark-Dawe