Into the Woods

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I have searched and searched and could not find a thread on this even though I feel like there was one, so mods please feel free to merge if there is indeed an existing thread.

This is a movie based on the extremely successful Broadway musical and something Sondheim fans have been waiting for FOREVER. It brings all of the Grimm fairy tales together, but came way before Once Upon A Time and is significantly darker.

The first half of the play tells the stories as you know them (or at least as the Grimm Brothers wrote them, so, for example, the stepsisters cut off their toes and heels in an effort to fit into Cinderella's shoe) and the second half tells of "what happened after". It subverts the idea that fairytales should be aspirational. Are Cinderella and her Prince a healthy couple? What kind of PTSD would a woman have being trapped in a tower all her life? What happens when giants seek revenge on wilful boys who steal from them? It's dark, but still hopeful, and the music and songs are just fantastic.

Well I've been kind of nervous with all the things we've been reading about this production (certain characters who are supposed to die, won't be for example) and the look for the Wolf is less than inspiring (see here: http://io9.com/johnny-depps-big-bad-wolf-from-disneys-into-the-woods-i-1649330684). Also there was the concern that while Meryl Streep can do no wrong, her singing was less than inspired in MAMMA MIA and she has to kill it in this movie.

Well this trailer, featurette thingy, is helping a lot to allay my fears. Especially the question of Meryl. And it really does look gorgeous.

If you are interested in this film, watch it! http://link.brightcove.com/services...k5Nz1HmLGrVlkxGTUBUM_JtH-&bctid=3854877348001

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the wolf make-up, either. It probably wouldn't be such a let-down if they hadn't tried to use "the reveal" as some big secret in the teaser trailer - only showing the wolf's hand, and what-not. (He looks a lot like the Big Bad Wolf from Disney's original 3 Little Pigs to me.)

Meryl's voice here isn't too bad. I think it fits the character better than her voice did in Mama Mia.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yes, that's true, if they hadn't made it such a big reveal it likely wouldn't have had quite the response. Though, I mean, it's still pretty friggin' weird. And VERY predatory looking (like if there was ever a poster for Stranger Danger, that face would be on it) which is so confusing because they said they were getting rid of all the sexual stuff with Red Riding Hood since they'd cast an actual child in the role. I guess they are going to make it still about a sexual predator maybe, but remove the sexual awakening bit for Red? At least, so long as they haven't changed anything, the Wolf isn't really in the show that long (hence why the actor who played him on Broadway also played Cinderella's Prince).

The rest though is starting to look surprisingly good. People are still concerned about the singing, and I am too, but I remind myself that Sondheim always said he preferred actors who could sing, not singers who could act. Plus I just think Meryl had some bad direction in MAMMA MIA in general, her whole performance was not up to her normal excellence.

I'm a wait till I see the movie before passing judgement girl, but this is definitely the first time I've felt some excitement about this movie. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I had NO idea about this movie. I'm cautiously hopeful -- I adore the musical, so I'd love to see this translated to the big screen. But after Les Miz, I'm...nervous.

I can't help but see the Witch as Bernadette Peters, who absolutely killed it in the musical. But I admit that performing for a live audience is very different than performing for a movie, so maybe Bernadette would have been poorly cast in this case. Fingers crossed for Meryl...but still. ("I wish!")

And I always liked how the Prince was also the Wolf in the musical -- I thought that double role was intentional. Clearly, that's not the case here, since Captain Kirk is playing the Prince (hah, that's appropriate) and Captain Jack Sparrow is playing the Wolf (have a whole animal theme going on there, don't we?) -- guess we'll have to wait and see how it all works.

And TP: It's not going to follow the musical exactly? I think that's a shame. :(

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well it is supposedly quite close. But they have changed a few things, and obviously cut some stuff (the play is very long). I don't mind changes when you change the medium. In fact when film interpretations are too literal they tend to be less effective. But we shall see if they've done it well. Lapine and Sondheim have been deeply involved in the making of the movie which is good

Yes Peters would have been amazing, but she never had the on screen presence like Meryl does. She's been good in movies, but on stage is where the magic happens. I like Meryl. She's the right age for the role and has the acting chops, I just have to hope her singing lives up to it.

I'm actually thinking Chris Pine might be a big surprise in this one. A few moments in this clip quite impressed me. We shall see . . .

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I am incredibly excited for this. I never watched the play or knew about it. Anyone know what the run-time for this is at?

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I'm a big fan of ITW, in fact I performed it this summer (which put a crimp in my writing but worth it) as the Mysterious Man.

As for the double casting, that's how the Broadway version did it and Sondheim and Lapine, I think that is their preference, but MTI allows for it to be cast as the wolf as one character and the Prince as another. (interesting Sidenote, their is an alternative plot thread that Lapine used when he revived ITW in 2002, with a 2nd wolf chasing the 3 little pigs and the two wolves share a duet on "When You're Talking To Your Meal" (I don't think that is the right name of the song, but you know what I'm talking about)

Anywhoseit, the production I was in, we eliminated all the double casting in order to give as many people roles as possible.

I'm a little disappointed that they cut and combined the narrator and the mysterious man into The Witch, I'm not sure at all how that is going to work and some of the other changes that they have apparently made to "Disneyfiy" the story, but Lapine and Sondheim did those changes so I guess I can't complain too much.

I like everyone's look except Johnny Depp's, which I have mixed feelings about. _IF_ this was on stage and was playing with not making it traditional fairytale (see the London version from a couple of years ago, that was transferred to B'way with Amy Adams and Chip Zein (the OG Baker) as the Mysterious Man and used a child as the narrator) I would love it. But with the traditional fairy tale look that everyone around them has, it's like Rob Marshall and Johnny Depp saw the 3 Little Pigs Bop and the Tex Avery Little Red Riding Hood as a lounge singer cartoons on YouTube and said, "Yes that is what we want!" It's very glaring when compared to the look of the rest of the cast.

I just want to know when all of Depp's weirdness is going to collide and we get a Jim Jarmusch musical written by Sondheim about Captain Jack Tonto--in real time.

hefronica

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I'm a big Sondheim fan so I'm cautious about this production. I didn't like the teaser trailer (way too dark and gloomy, IIRC) but this video gives me a bit more hope.

...but I remind myself that Sondheim always said he preferred actors who could sing, not singers who could act.

Huh. I'd never heard this before, but this helps explain some of the casting in Sondheim's shows (Lee Remick, Glynis Johns).

That doesn't mean I'm not worried about Emily Blunt or Chris Pine. I like CP as an actor (and really liked him in Princess Diaries II, which is a guilty pleasure of mine :D) but can he sing?? 'Agony' and its reprise are two of my favorite songs in the show. Also I know Anna Kendrick can sing but I think her voice/range (? I'm not a singer; I don't the technical terms) is too low for the part. I feel like Hugh Jackman had the same problem as Valjean.

Part of the charm of the stage version is how everything is so tongue-in-cheek in the first act: the narrator, treating the cow as a prop. And you don't get creeped out because the kids are (usually) played much older. It looks like they've just turned this into another dark and broody story, like they did with Sweeney Todd. I blame Batman & Christopher Nolan. Everything has to be dark and broody now. Bleh.

True story: I worked on a production in college and invited some friends to watch. They left at intermission because they thought the show was over. ( If you think about it, all the storylines appear wrapped up when intermission comes around.)

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
True story: I worked on a production in college and invited some friends to watch. They left at intermission because they thought the show was over. ( If you think about it, all the storylines appear wrapped up when intermission comes around.)

HAHAHA we had the same problem after opening night (although I partially blame a broken AC unit (1 of 5) in the theater making it hotter then hell in there partially on the fact people were leaving. we actually had board members of our theater standing out in the lobby reminding people not to leave, that there was a second act.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've performed the show twice (once as The Witch and once as Jack's Mother) and am incredibly curious to see which numbers make the cut - for example, if they'll use "Our Little World," a duet for The Witch and Rapunzel which was added for the UK premiere of the stage musical.

hefronica

Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHA we had the same problem after opening night (although I partially blame a broken AC unit (1 of 5) in the theater making it hotter then hell in there partially on the fact people were leaving. we actually had board members of our theater standing out in the lobby reminding people not to leave, that there was a second act.

Yeah, you can bet I told the rest of my non-theatre-understanding friends that the show wasn't over at that point.
Good to know it wasn't an isolated incident. :D

Songs that were cut (from a completely unverified source = some poster on imdb):
Cinderella at the Grave - it's short and could easily be done with dialogue

I Guess This is Goodbye/Maybe They're Magic - these deletions annoy me. I love both of them. But they're short and I guess that made it easier to transfer to dialogue.

First Midnight & Second Midnight- They'll have other ways of showing the passage of time, plus it cuts all the little characters who probably don't have much to do in the film.

Ever After - understandably cut because there doesn't need to be the big Act I finale (like the chandelier in Phantom being moved to the end of the film)

No More - I love this song but with the narrator/mystery man cut, I guess there's no point. Too bad.

I guess this means the one song that I DESPISE is still in the show (I Know Things Now). I just hate it. Hate. It. I don't think there's another song in all of musical theatre that I loathe as much.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm I don't mind Depp's look in this too much. I'm actually okay with it.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can bet I told the rest of my non-theatre-understanding friends that the show wasn't over at that point.
Good to know it wasn't an isolated incident. :D

Songs that were cut (from a completely unverified source = some poster on imdb):
Cinderella at the Grave - it's short and could easily be done with dialogue

I Guess This is Goodbye/Maybe They're Magic - these deletions annoy me. I love both of them. But they're short and I guess that made it easier to transfer to dialogue.

First Midnight & Second Midnight- They'll have other ways of showing the passage of time, plus it cuts all the little characters who probably don't have much to do in the film.

Ever After - understandably cut because there doesn't need to be the big Act I finale (like the chandelier in Phantom being moved to the end of the film)

No More - I love this song but with the narrator/mystery man cut, I guess there's no point. Too bad.

I guess this means the one song that I DESPISE is still in the show (I Know Things Now). I just hate it. Hate. It. I don't think there's another song in all of musical theatre that I loathe as much.

As long as "Giants in the Sky," "Agony," "No One Is Alone" and "Children Will Listen" made the cut, I'm okay with it.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm quite sad about "No More" it's probably my favourite song in the piece (how depressing am I?), and about the removal of the Mysterious Man/Narrator. But I do at least understand it. And I don't know why I'm not as worried about Pine or Blunt. I just feel like there are a lot of handsome prince looking actors out there and while Pine is a known quantity he's still not uber uber famous. I feel like they could have chosen one of many other male actors at his fame level, so I feel like he must have impressed them somehow. Blunt I just feel is great at everything, but that might be my bias.

Streep on the other hand is the biggest concern because she's what they are using to sell the film and so it's not like there was another actress they could have easily used if she didn't have the singing chops. I mean, she can sing, but it's more folky simple singing. I did like the little bit I heard in this featurette though, and fingers crossed she can pull out the big stuff.

It's funny, in the heyday of the movie musical almost all the lead women were dubbed by Marni Nixon and that was a time we look back on with, "Why can't they make musicals like that anymore?" I guess we live now in a time where dubbing would be just the most scandalous thing EVER. But still. It was common practice back then.

Hefronica - remember too they are trying to appeal to a general audience with this trailer and so they are trying to appeal to that dark mysterious Nolan thing which is incredibly popular (witness how depressing the new Avengers trailer is even though the Avengers tends to be way more lighthearted than the DC films). Every interview I've heard about the film though has the creators talking about how funny it is. I think you might be pleasantly surprised :) .

Last edited:

xDream

Hopeful Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how this will do. It has a lot of big name actors and actresses (Anna Kendrick will definitely bring in more tweens and teens). I'm just a little concerned as to whether the script will hold up.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I saw it!!!! Went to a press screening today and can't really say much until I post my review. BUT. I will say don't fear the quality of singing. In fact this is one of those rare modern movie musicals where you can sit back and relax knowing that the quality of the singing won't make you cringe. And also - Meryl can belt. I had no idea, but she can.

Oh and Agony is fantastic - the audience actually applauded after it was done. :)

There's a lot more to say, a lot more . . . complicated stuff . . . to say. But there you go for now :) .

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I adore Anna Kendrick and I'm super stoked to see it. How musical is it? Sometimes musical based movies get... not to sound trite, but too musical. There's ample dialogue throughout though, right?

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The thing is, Sondheim is a very particular kind of musical composer. His stuff is almost opera in that people sing A LOT. Sweeney Todd has almost no talking (they added talking to it for the film). There's A LOT of singing in this one. There is also talking, for sure, but it's not like CHICAGO say. They cut some songs in INTO THE WOODS, but they also cut some dialogue, so really it's the same proportion of singing to talking as the broadway show.

I really didn't think it was too much though, simply because of how all the music weaves together. It's not like talk, then a song, then talk, then a song, where you get whiplash and it just kind of starts to feel silly. It's more like singing, a couple lines of talking, the refrain again, leading into another number, then talking singing, then just talking, then a proper song with a beginning middle and end. Etc. There's a flow to it.

So basically I can't say if you'll think it's too much. It really depends on your feelings about Sondheim musicals :) .

Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I'm very excited to see this. I enjoyed the musical and I seem to enjoy musicals translated to film more than a lot of people (I liked the recent Les Mis, for example).

hefronica

Registered
Reaction score
Oh and Agony is fantastic - the audience actually applauded after it was done. :)

Very glad to hear it. 'Agony' (and its reprise) are tied with 'Your Fault' and 'Giants in the Sky' for my favorite songs in the show.

And where can I find your review? Love to read it when it's posted. :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, Sondheim is a very particular kind of musical composer. His stuff is almost opera in that people sing A LOT. Sweeney Todd has almost no talking (they added talking to it for the film).

Gotta disagree with you here. I've done Sweeney Todd three times and there's plenty of dialogue in the show. The crap they added to the film version was to pump up the Judge's role, and they cut other, better material to make room for it.

Yes, there's lots of music in Sondheim shows (he does, after all, write musicals), but he also collaborates with major librettists (James Lapine, John Weidman, Hugh Wheeler, just to name a few). Some of the dialogue scenes in Sondheim musicals are legendary - the Book Depository scene in Assassins, for example, or Joanne and Bobby's dialogue leading into "The Ladies Who Lunch" from Company. And I won't even go into Gelbart & Shevelove's incredible libretto for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Sondheim is first and foremost a collaborator, and his shows all contain book scenes that are memorable in and of themselves. They're not just there as bridges between songs. Film treatments of the shows may cut much of that dialogue, but that's not how the stage versions were written.

Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Evita, Cats, The Phantom of the Opera and Rent are closer to what you're talking about: "sung-through" musicals, with very little actual dialogue.

(Sorry for the derail and the lecture - I built my career on performing Sondheim musicals, and I can get a little testy when discussing his work.)

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um . . . okay. I guess you are disagreeing with my use of the "almost like opera" thing, and have obviously had people say something like "God Sondheim is so boring, there's no dialogue" to you before or something because all I was doing was trying to answer a question in a straightforward simple fashion and I did make it I think quite clear that there was dialogue in a Sonheim musical. A person asked if there was going to be any dialogue and if it wasn't too muscial-y. Byt the very nature of the question I assumed the person was worried there would be too much music and so I wanted to let the person know that when it comes to many (not all - but again, I was trying to be simple in my answer and not lecture) Sondheim musicals there is a lot of music. It isn't like something like CHICAGO where you have a scene then song then scene etc. I believe I described what I meant above and included the fact that there is indeed dialogue. I never said otherwise. I just said relative to those other kinds of musicals there is A LOT of music. I do like your comparison to LES MIS etc though, it would have been good for me to mention that there is definitely more dialogue than in that. So thank you for that.

As for your opera thing, some Sondheim is more opera than others and while you might feel dogmatic in that SWEENEY TODD is not one, other people in the industry have been debating for years if it is and I've actually seen a professional opera company produce it.

Anyway, the point to all this was quite simple: there's more singing in INTO THE WOODS and more constant music playing than in something like CHICAGO, but as mrsmig says there is more dialogue in it than in something like LES MIS.

And regardless of the quantity, I found the film's mixture of dialogue and song very well done. I have other opinions on the movie which I can't share yet, but I don't think it comes off as too musical. Then again, I know this show off by heart so I might be a bit biased in its favour when it comes to its composition.

Last edited: