Rejectomancy

Working Title

The Indomitable Snowman
Registered
Reaction score
19-day form R from DSF. And I thought that was my best story to date. :\
I'll bet it was a "read the start and done," though, because I know my first line might be too intense for the story itself.

So...are you the other 28-day R on duotrope? 'Cause they did the exact same thing to me. I spent the morning wondering if the story was so bad that they intentionally held it until just after the deadline, so I couldn't send them more crap.

Then I realized I was probably being paranoid. I mean, no editor is that manipulative...right? Right??

Still, one day earlier would have been nice.

It appears to me that Abyss & Apex reads in waves. They go through stories they've had for 5-12 days, pass on some and let others move on, then the next day they go through stories they gave the go ahead to a few waves ago and are sitting at 20+ days. Right now it appears they're going through the stories they've had for the whole month and making decisions. If anything, I'd say 28 days means you passed at least one round of slush reading!

I only know this because I've been stalking this market since they have a story of mine, but it's only at the 18-day mark, so they might not be looking at it yet.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know any of those people. Oh well, I'm sure they'll do a DF 3--and that too will be filled with "big" names. :tongue
If you like Lovecraftian fiction, check out Laird Barron. He takes setting a scene to the furthest end of the spectrum, but the effect is a rich, atmospheric world, with 3D characters and environments you're interested in, even if you don't necessarily care about. (And I only mean by the latter that he tends to write about broken people, who aren't necessarily Joe or Jane Hero). In other words, none of us should feel bad about losing out to him! :D

Last edited:

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
So i've been reading this thread and thinking, omg, getting published is hard...but if I get a rejection, I could post in this thread! I can do that! Odd motivation perhaps, but it got me to finally sub a story, first one ever. So, I'm sort of pleased to report a 4 day form from A&A. (it does suggest the ones they like they hold on to longer, right? Although, maybe it was gotten through so quickly becuase it was a flash story.) Much quicker than I expected, and now to mail it onwards!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
So i've been reading this thread and thinking, omg, getting published is hard...but if I get a rejection, I could post in this thread! I can do that! Odd motivation perhaps, but it got me to finally sub a story, first one ever. So, I'm sort of pleased to report a 4 day form from A&A. (it does suggest the ones they like they hold on to longer, right? Although, maybe it was gotten through so quickly becuase it was a flash story.) Much quicker than I expected, and now to mail it onwards!

Welcome to the Rejectomancy thread Datepalm!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
My submission, "Shock Totem’s May 2012 Flash Fiction Contest vote," was declined for publication today. :(

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, isn't it weird seeing the red word "Decline" show up for something like that?
Yeah. Kind of wish he would have us withdraw it so we don't get zinged on our official tally. It's just a nit, but I hate artificially inflated rejection lists. :D

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Midnight Echo. I'm not too discouraged as I know where I'm sending it out to next (I'm just going to wait until tomorrow when I'm not half asleep).

Yeah, isn't it weird seeing the red word "Decline" show up for something like that?

I keep waiting for you to post in the braggage thread so I can congratulate you on your Shock Totem flash contest story. Don't keep me waiting forever ;)!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my midnight echo rejection too. Bleah. I plan to crack that mag sometime, but obviously not with this story. AND a Clarkesworld R to christen my latest story.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I just got a 204 day rejection from Bull Spec. Which was my last piece out before the great "work takes up all my time" period.

Which means, I'm back to writing and subbing. Not at the pace of last year. This year-- moderation.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations for all the R's, everyone. Those Midnight Echo ones seemed to arrive all at once. Sorry to hear about the Shock Totem ones, too - they sound a bit brutal - just a big 'decline' button? Ouch. And the long 203 day Bull Spec one sounds bad - rejections are never fun, but it always feels worse to me when they've had the story for a long time.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
rejections are never fun, but it always feels worse to me when they've had the story for a long time.
I know! I have a short at a market going on 231 days. The subs listed at Duotrope have been whittled down to 19. Even though they show activity only once a month at best, I still scour their listing and website for updates. When that rejection hammer falls, it'll hurt, but part of me will be glad for the release.

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score
19 day form reject from dsf ...

Thank you for submitting your story, "Blessing of the Boats", to Daily Science Fiction. Unfortunately, we have decided not to publish it. To date, we have reviewed many strong stories that we did not take. Either the fit was wrong or we'd just taken tales with a similar theme or any of a half dozen other reasons.

Best success selling this story elsewhere.

Upon reflection, the story wasn't the best fit for the market in the first place and I've since started to re-write it anyway :)