F1 2013

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
"Like he'll ever see this...*

Congrats Valtteri Bottas!!!
and Thank You for putting a Williams back where it belongs.

Wow.

Interesting site.

F1rejects?
Isn't it though?
Just think of how 'at home' JVC would probably feel there...
;)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
"Like he'll ever see this...*

Congrats Valtteri Bottas!!!
and Thank You for putting a Williams back where it belongs.

Wow.
Bottas did brilliant today and I'm sure Williams are very happy with their new chappy.

I found this qualifying very exciting indeed. A little water goes a long way.

F1rejects?
Isn't it though?
Just think of how 'at home' JVC would probably feel there...
;)
:e2tongue:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I really feel sorry for Massa, who just can't catch a break sometimes. However, the mayhem it caused did add to the thrill at the end. It should be a brilliant race tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to it. And I get to watch it live and in full as this is one of the races the BBC is showing. :yessmiley

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Was it last year?

24 Hueres Du Mans
12 Hours of Sebring
and the 6 Hours of Montreal......

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Every session I was pointing at the timing, saying "Bottas? BOTTAS?" Boy done good. I am not a Maldonado fan whatsoever so that made his success even sweeter ;)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Every session I was pointing at the timing, saying "Bottas? BOTTAS?" Boy done good. I am not a Maldonado fan whatsoever so that made his success even sweeter ;)

I like F1, but I can't say that I'm a fan of any particular driver. When I first started watching there were names I heard a lot, like Kimi, David, Rubens, Ralph and Michael - and all of them seemed to be very professional. As I learned more about the sport, drivers came and went. One day, I watched a rookie named Lewis find himself on a podium for the very first time. He was so surprised, modest, nearly apologetic, and so well mannered that it was difficult not to like the star struck kid. Yet the way he handled himself a year or two later when he was frustrated and nothing was going right... made me change my mind.

I did learn something though... that famous Senna quote:

By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver, because we are competing.

So.... I can't blame Hamilton or Maldonado, or anyone else (new or old) for going for that gap. They are race car drivers after all, but I do still have that same perspective as a fan of the sport that I had in the beginning: I enjoy seeing driver's that know what a privilege they have been given, and continue to respect that rare opportunity. I enjoy watching drivers who have manners and represent their teams and behave professionally.

And I love seeing the underdog win, or the b-driver win, (or the bridesmaid) or a return to glory for a team that had it once.. or to see some 'new' kid surpass everyone's expectations.

Given all of my odd criteria and likes, I think it would be easy to see why Lewis, Sebastian, and Fernando can really irritate me at times. I don't wish them any harm... but I'm not buying that "I deserve" mentality one bit. Young drivers with equal skill get turned away every year - and yet I know - it would be a boring sport if every driver was an accommodating, and gracious gentleman like Rubens...

So yes... Go Valtteri!
Go Jean-Eric!
Go Daniel!
Go Adrian!

-all of whom advanced to Q3!

Bravo!

Well done.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that bad. Boring that Vettel won with such a lead, but there was plenty of action going on down the field. Shame that Bottas couldn't convert the 3rd place on the grid into some points, but he did well, nonetheless. Would've liked to have seen Hamilton keep his second place, or actually be able to challenge Vettel up front. I don't think he was helped by certain drivers ignoring the blue flags.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
That is terribly sad.
My heart goes out to his family.

I really do want to celebrate the record setting sixth place finish by STR-Ferrari's Jean Eric Vergne. Way to go!

And
- somebody should note the truly bizarre:

Paul di Resta finished seventh yesterday in his Force-India Mercedes after doing something quite unusual. He dashed into the pits to replace his worn out medium compound tyres........

on lap 67.

Chew on that for awhile. =)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Paul did a truly incredible job out there. Sutil - who is no slouch as a driver! - stopped twice before Paul's first stop. As JB lamented afterwards, Force India's one stop strategy knocked the socks off everyone else trying to go down the same road.

Speaking of McLaren, a truly dire afternoon for them. Despite splitting the strategies, neither driver got into the points for the first time in 65 races. JB messed up in quali, but it's clear from both cars' finishing positions that's as fast as they can go. Really not good enough.

Alonso, though, showed he's the class of the field. Such a great drive from him - never gave up, no matter what. If he hadn't also messed up quali, he might have been able to fight Seb (who also had a great race). Really strong performance from JEV, too, and I felt sorry for Bottas and Ricciardo to end up down in P14 and P15 respectively. Very odd to see so many of the field lapped though - a quirk of the track or midfield drivers holding things up?

I was shocked and saddened to hear about the marshal. Without the efforts of race marshals around the world we wouldn't have a championship. Much respect to them all.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Now there's something I could see a little more of...

A podium without Seb. :)

*and a fantastic come back from dead last to 6th by Felipe!* Woohoo!

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I missed quite a bit of the race as I was switching back and forth between F1, the Tour de France, and Wimbledon. Though the last few laps of the Grand Prix were pretty exciting, and I was out of my seat yelling for Dan Martin to win the stage in France, I have to give the edge to Wimbledon this time :D. Way to go, Andy Murray!!!!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be back... I, ummm,
have to go show Jules where to find the parking brake lever.

:D

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
:D

In hindsight, that was quite funny (knowing that no-one got hurt), but watching it at the time it was seriously scary!

It was a pretty good race, I thought. Nice to have a bit of a challenge up front for a change.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I am bummed. With all that's going on here, I won't be able to get back into F1 until after August.

I miss all the fun.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
You'll miss Hungary and Spa, but thanks to the summer break and the weirdly uneven timetable that's about it. Oh, and the Young Drivers test.

I highly recommend James Allen's blog for staying up to date!