Last Movie You Watched...

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw 12 Years A Slave last night and cried my eyes out at the end. A movie hasn't made me cry in a LONG time.

I saw it twice when it came out; once with a friend and then I made my mother (a movie theater phobic) go see it with me. Both times I cried. Every single performance is brilliant in that film.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Last watched: The Raven. The way the shots are framed makes me wonder if this was originally in 3D. Yes? No? Well it should've been, because that swinging pendulum is missing a real opportunity if it wasn't. Anyways, I needed another Luke Evans fix before the next Hobbit movie comes out. It was okay, not great, but entertaining enough in a pinch.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I know its been out for a while, but I just recently watched Lone Survivor. I watched it right after reading Unbroken. Both were so profound. Often we are distant from what happens in battles and war because much of what we see and read are the stats. But these true life stories that give you a front row seat to what one person experiences, really help to wrap our brains around why those statistics are so poignant. Great film.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Today is going to be a good day. I found an online place that burns copies of OOP movies and my order arrived yesterday:

The Devil Rides Out (Squee!)

plus 3 Mexican horror movies from the early 60s:
The Witch's Mirror (niece marries handsome bastid; he kills her, niece's aunt takes long, delightful revenge)

The Curse of the Crying Woman (a La Llorona story)

The Black Pit of Doctor M (two doctors who run an insane asylum promise that whichever one dies first will return to tel the other one about the afterlife; what could possibly go wrong?)

:hooray:

Srsly. why on earth has Hammer let The Devil Rides Out go out of print? It's one of the best Hammers ever.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Started with The Curse of the Crying Woman. It's like an early Roger Corman. Some stagehand off-camera is howling like a dog or a werewolf and the MC's LI says: "It sounds like a woman." :roll: the LI looks at him all big-eyed and helpless.

So bad it's good. Just what I hoped for.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Last watched: Dracula Has Risen From The Grave--classic Christopher Lee Hammer Horror flick. These movies are so much fun. My Dracula-thon this year has made me realize something: I think I prefer Dracula in movies that don't actually follow the events of the book. Since they're hardly ever faithful anyway (the closest so far have been the Jack Palance version and the Gary Oldman version, with various flaws and strengths, neither one perfect, and no I'm not counting Nosferatu because it's OBVIOUS, obviously), it's more fun to just skip to some other era where they're going, "But-but-but, we killed him in the last movie--what does he want now?" That, or go full-out Castlevania-style RPG brain-candy nonsense, like the Luke Evans version. (Heeee!) Also: the Lucy (because there's always a Lucy, even if there isn't a Mina) was parkouring all over the rooftops of 19th century Germany, and it was awesome.

Also watched: We Are What We Are. DAAAAAAAAAMN that was more intense than I was expecting, but not until the very-very-VERY end. You figure out they're cannibals about halfway through. And then you realize: Wait. We're only halfway through. That . . . wasn't the reveal, was it? No, it was not. 0_0 Good stuff, guys. Not to taken with food. There is one (1) small child, but he's tucked away safe and sound pretty much the whole time. I dunno how you (and I'm looking at you, Calla Lily, when I say this) feel about teenagers in peril? Because that's kind of a thing? Anyway, GREAT, if you can stomach it.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Watched both Silent Hill: Revelations and Cabin in the Woods today.

For Revelations, it was far better than the first Silent Hill. It did change some things from Silent Hill 3 than I wasn't fond of, but looking at it purely on its own, it was good. They did do a good job of portraying Heather getting stronger throughout the movie, just like the game.

As for Cabin in the Woods, I won't give away any details but it was a really good mix of horror and dark comedy.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Judge...

It was intense - I loved it.

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
Detention. Hands down the weirdest movie I've ever seen; still trying to warp my mind around it.

Tonight You're Mine (You Instead). Predictable but cute. As someone who lives and breathes music, I thought it was fantastic.

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Southland Tales. No matter how many times I see it, it still infuriates me. Potential through Act I and part of Act II, but just collapses in on itself midway through the second Act. I get what Richard Kelly tried to do by rewriting it with all of the political overtones, but I still wish he hadn't. It's a great example of a screenwriter over thinking to a fault.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Gone Girl. I'm told that it's better the second time around. David Fincher is a fantastic director with a style I really appreciate (dark, brooding, boundary-pushing) but I thought he could've fleshed Amy's character out a lot more. Supposedly, you get a lot more of her perspective in the book and the dynamic is more about the husband and wife playing off of one another. I was surprised to learn that the book's author also wrote the screenplay. Huh.

threetoedsloth

Registered
Reaction score
Fury. It wasn't the best movie in the world and had a few issues I don't want to go on about, but by God it was fun! I came for the tanks, and I freaking got tanks!

As a side note I broke down the structure of the movie in my head while watching and tried to see how it would be rewritten as a book.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Watched The Conjuring last night on HBO. Perfect Halloween night horror film.

Calla Lily, it had been a while since I had seen it and I forgot that the kid scenes really are intense, so if you haven't watched it yet (I think it was you who was not into the horror movies with kid scenes), I'd suggest holding off on this one. It's a brilliantly done movie, but definitely has a different kind of scary factor because of the kids--I have two young daughters). I freaking sobbed at the end. Of a horror movie.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^That one made me cry, too. That's what I love about horror when it's done right--the final moments, when the intensity has been driven up as far as it can, are such a relief that you can only weep when it's over. And sometimes, it's even uplifting. It's why I keep watching the stuff--for moments like that.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
^That one made me cry, too. That's what I love about horror when it's done right--the final moments, when the intensity has been driven up as far as it can, are such a relief that you can only weep when it's over. And sometimes, it's even uplifting. It's why I keep watching the stuff--for moments like that.

yes, yes, YES! I wanted to run in and kiss and whisper my eternal love to my sweeties during that end scene. Actually, I did after the credits began rolling, but I do that every night before going to bed. :)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"The Lost Boys". I'm not a fan of vampire flicks or the horror genre, but wow...I really enjoyed re-watching this movie. (First saw it in a movie theater, summer 1987).

:Thumbs:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
3 Days to Kill. Surprisingly good. I found it to be very entertaining in an offbeat, quirky sort of way. It had all these subplots that sort of all worked and meshed together towards the main plot, but some of them were just so weird that hubs and I were like, WTF? But it was LOL funny and action packed, and even managed to pack a little punch of emotion (might have just been the daughter/daddy stuff which ALWAYS gets me). I thought Amber Heard's performance was a little over the top at times, but she was also pretty bad-ass (though it was slightly cliched bad-ass at times). I had never heard of this movie and wasn't planning on watching it when hubs put it on, but I got sucked in and enjoyed it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Black Pit of Dr. M, a Mexican horror from 1959.

Epically silly and bad and not at all horrifying (oops). The funniest recurring bit involved the courtyard. The mental hospital is a converted estate built around a central courtyard with a non-working fountain. Must be lowland, because it's always misty at the right moment. :tongue

I've never seen so many responsible adults who've been living in this place for months or years completely incapable of finding the right room or the right person from this courtyard exactly when the plot requires them to find said person or room because OMG disaster!

:roll: Highly recommended.