Novice poem

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Hello all! As the title states, I'm a total poetry newbie. I haven't written a poem in 15 years, since my college poetry class. I think I got inspired to write this because I was going to an open mic of poetry, and also started reading poetry again. I have a website that's all about meditation, relaxation and self-love, with a dash of my writing journey thrown in. I think I'd like to share this poem on there in the future. But I'm feeling nervous (really nervous) because I am just not a poet. This poem just sprang up in my mind and I felt I had to write it down. I wrote it after getting some criticism that really upset me. So this is hopefully my first step in sharing this poem to a wider audience. I have shared my prose on AW before and I've always found it to be a supportive and insightful community. I am grateful I have a place I feel safe sharing this, so thank you for having taken the time to open my post. I would love to get your overall feelings of this. Okay, deep breath. Here it is:

My Garden

One year I decided I would plant
an exquisite garden
with all kinds of
flowers, herbs & plants.

When it was fully grown I opened the
gate to my garden & welcomed in my
neighbors to see what I'd created.

The first person said I'd planted too
many roses. 'Roses are so cliché,' they said.
You should change that, it makes the
whole garden seem old fashioned.

I found myself nodding my head and agreeing.
How could I have been so stupid?
Roses are totally cliché and overdone.
I should have been more original.
The roses are stupid, I can see it now,
and I hate them when I look at them.

The second person said my cactus in the corner
was weird, and it messed up the whole garden.
It was too random. What was a cactus doing here?
It made no sense.

And again, I found myself nodding in agreement.
How could I have been so stupid? The cactus is weird,
and now everyone knows I'm weird for having put it here.
The cactus is ugly and pointless and it's ruining everything.
The cactus has to go, all I can see when I look at it
is how much I hate it.

The third person to come didn't
pay much attention to any of it,
including where they walked. They
crushed my geraniums and stomped
right through the strawberry patch.

After they left I realized the whole garden was stupid.
It deserved to be stomped on.
If I'd done it better, they would have praised it.
They would have tread carefully, treasuring it.

But it's okay.
Next year I shall do it again,
and I won't let anyone see it
until it's perfect.

At the end of the summer I closed the gate
and locked it up tight.
I built the fence higher so no one could
see my garden until it was ready.

The next summer my garden bloomed even
bigger and brighter than the summer before.
But this plant was wrong, and that herb was wrong.
And I kept ripping things out, moving them,
and I changed so many things
that half of it died.

It wasn't perfect.
No one shall see it.
It's okay.
There's always next year.

And the next year and the next year
it went that the garden bloomed but
it wasn't perfect, it wasn't ready to be shared.

As the days went on and I sat alone, looking at all
that was wrong with my plants,
I began to feel an emptiness.
I didn't understand what was happening.

This had once brought me so much joy
And now I felt so sad and empty
each time I came
that I stopped gardening all together.
And by the fifth summer,
all I had were weeds.

I sat behind my locked gate, with my high walls
and I knew, this was something no one could see.
No one could see what a mess I'd made,
no one could see how I'd neglected and ruined
my beautiful garden.

During the sixth summer I sat alone in what had
once been my garden. The air turned
cool and the leaves began to change.
All I had now was the memory of my
first garden.
Which I still loved.
And I began to wonder, if maybe it
had been perfect all along,
and it was only me who needed to see it.

That winter I unlocked the gate. I
took down the fence, and replaced it with
some chain link fence that would keep
the animals out but allow the air to flow
freely, in and out.

When summer came, my garden bloomed.
The roses were back,
the cactus was back,
and it was all perfect,
just as it always had been.

When the first person came, I
did not wait for their comment. Nor
did I let them rush in and trample.
I stood before them, and I said,
“Be careful where you walk
for this is my garden.
Each petal, each leaf,
each needle of the cacti is important to me. You may
not understand or like everything, and that's okay.
I only ask
you take those thoughts,
hold them in your mind,
and use them to make your own garden,
just how you like it.
Because this one is mine.”

And as that person prepared to go
I said,
“Thank you for coming.
Know that I cherished you while here
like you were one of my own flowers.
Because although this garden is mine, it is
a gift I can only enjoy when I am able
to share it with others. The time you
took to be here brightens my heart,
and I hope you will come again.
Maybe one day you will plant
your own garden, and if you do,
please invite me to see it,
because no two gardens are ever
the same, and that is a gift
we give each other.”

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Welcome to the poetry forum! I don't know why it's been so dead this week -- I'm thinking everyone's on vacation or something.

Anyway. You'll find this is a pretty nice and supportive group here. And we have people writing all sorts of different styles of poetry, so there's plenty of room for everyone.

As you did with your poem, I usually share my poems here in the main forum, so that people can read it without plugging in a password. FYI, from what I can tell, more people actually read the poems posted in here, probably for that very reason. If that's what's important to you, this is a great place to put your poem. And often (though not so much this week), people do comment on poems in here, and even offer critiques. Not always, but often.

But FYI, if you definitely want a critique, there's a specific password-protected forum for that -- check it out at the top of the page.

A tip, wherever you decide to post -- if you wander over and comment on someone else's poem, they're more likely to wander over and comment on yours. (And you'll read a lot of good stuff that way, too.)

I very much like the concept of your poem. You say you wrote it after a piece of scathing criticism; the garden works nicely as a metaphor for a beloved creation. I could also see the garden as a metaphor for an individual life, which must be shared in order to be complete, and which need not be perfect to be beautiful.

I also like your extension of the metaphor into the people dissing the roses and the cactus, and clomping through without much regard for the plants you cherish.

While I think it works nicely on the metaphorical level, and also tells a good story, I do think you could maximize its effectiveness as a poem if you tightened it a wee bit.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Thank you so much for your comments Cassandra! I did not realize there were separate places you could post poetry for feedback. I have poked around in here and looked at some other's poems, but I was overcome with insecurity that I didn't know what I was doing and my comments would be useless. Although now that I think about it, the best way to learn is to just to start sharing, and my own fear really isn't helping me, is it?

I will take out my pen and do some tightening on this, as you suggested. I'm looking forward to spending more time in this group. I was always quiet intimidated by the poetry world, but now that I've actually stepped in here I have been seeing a lot of support, as you said, many different styles.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't know about the different forums either when I started posting, so I thought I'd let you know. I usually choose here, because I like sharing mine. If someone is also moved to comment, that's great, but I'm also happy just to share, and I'd just as soon make it easier for the non-poetry forum types to get in to read it.

Please don't ever feel intimidated from commenting or posting!

For what it's worth? Sometimes I just say I like a poem, or that is resonated with me. Or maybe that I loved a particular line or metaphor. I can promise you that the writer will always be happy to receive such a comment. And sometimes I've asked when I don't understand what a poet is trying to do with a line -- the answer is nearly always interesting to hear.

You don't have to be profound in your comments. In my opinion, the only kind of comment that is "wrong" is one that is just plain nasty without being constructive. And you'll find your fellow poets rarely roll that way in this forum.

And yes, the best way to learn is to read, comment on, and write more poetry. Please stick around. If you have questions, please feel free to PM or rep me. Also, our forum mods (Stew21 and poetinahat) are lovely, helpful, supportive people, as is our current poet laureate, Steppe. And for that matter, I think you'll find most of the people who come here are quite nice.

Welcome!

Last edited:

Tsaro

Registered
Reaction score
That's a really sweet poem! I think writing is definitely comparable to gardening in how you plant the seeds and then they take on a life of their own. A clever and resonant metaphor, bravo.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Thank you for the extra help Cassandra! I've been spending more time around here and it's very fun.

Also, thank you Tsaro and Steppe, your words means a lot to me. I'm feeling more ready to post this on my website!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Cassandra that this needs pruning. (Pun intended in a moment of weakness.)

The reason for the password is that most publication won't take anything that has been placed in public view. The password protection on the critique section makes it non public.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

PoeticRendezvous

Registered
Reaction score
Quote-
Nor did I let them rush in and trample.
I stood before them, and I said,
Be careful where you walk
for this is my garden.

That right there is inspirational to me. A beautiful confidence that I hope those struggling with esteem issues can grow and nurture in thier 'life's garden'.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Thank you PoeticRendezvous! I have yet to publish this poem on my website like I said I was going to. I kept putting it aside, but you've given me motivation to put it out there, and to let it be free.