What does it mean when you see a Bluejay on your fence?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It means spring has arrived! Yay!

(that is according to the old song: Gone away is the bluebird, here to stay is the new bird... and that song was about winter so there ya go)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It means spring has arrived! Yay!

(that is according to the old song: Gone away is the bluebird, here to stay is the new bird... and that song was about winter so there ya go)
Not according to reality. Bluejays don't migrate. We see them all winter, practically every day. Around here, it's the robin that's a sign of spring.

I'm feeling literal today. ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't a Blue Jay on your fence mean it's time to get a new fence? Isn't that the joke from Kindergarten? :D

Oh look, it's licketysplit.

I don't know, QW. I never went to kindergarten.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
It was deemed unnecessary for me to attend kindergarten. Didn't need it.

And you've proven that evaluation correct admirably. Knowing the days of the week, the weather. I'll bet you can even color inside the lines and everything.

You're an inspiration to us all. :)

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I've studied all the folklore of the Appalachians, diligently searching out bird lore. If you see an owl in the daytime, some say there'll be a wedding and some say a death. A crow on your house (maybe even your fence) is bad luck. Gold finches bode well, as do bluebirds. A robin sighting signals spring is here, and a cardinal sighting means it's going to rain. No luck with bluejays, either in finding lore about them or in determining whether they bring luck. I'd say, seeing a bluejay on your fence just means that you saw a bluejay on your fence. :)