Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love to cook and I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving because my wife & I prepare everything together. It's an all day event.

I love to cook, too, but I'll be doing Christmas this year. My folks and I alternate who does which holiday, so no one gets overwhelmed.

But as I said, I do have pies to make.

cook.gif

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I have a normal day of work, which is abnormal in that we've had OT almost everyday so it's seems shorter. Plus I took a 1/2 day for the girls b-day and got out 15 minutes late, so I'm taking those 15 minutes today. So a shorter than normal day.

Plus there's some sort of training I'm supposed to get, may get it today, may not. If I do, it'll be another 30 minutes offline. So I'm hoping for an easy day.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm off, but also got errands to run. Have to take my folks computer into the Mac store so the folks there can officially pronounce it DOA. I don't think there's anything else to be done for it, but need to be sure.

Also, I'm slowly but surely talking my self into an iPad, because it would actually be a useful thing for me, and not just a gizmo (which is why I lack a smartphone).

I'm hoping sticker-shock will cure me of that.

:D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Do you even know how to boil water PD?

Yes, I have boiled water. How do you think the boxed-macNcheese gets made???

And I make toast. If I'm really desperate, I'll scramble an egg too :D

I'm off, but also got errands to run. Have to take my folks computer into the Mac store so the folks there can officially pronounce it DOA. I don't think there's anything else to be done for it, but need to be sure.

Also, I'm slowly but surely talking my self into an iPad, because it would actually be a useful thing for me, and not just a gizmo (which is why I lack a smartphone).

I'm hoping sticker-shock will cure me of that.

Well Black Friday means rebait/giftcards at a lot of stores if you buy something that expensive -- just a thought

Sure she does.

She asks her mom.

:roll:

Yeah, my mom doesn't cook much anymore either. Only on holidays and it's goodies to give away to people! Lol!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I used to like to go to a certain store with a happy-face and sit and watch the mayhem ensue.

It's amazing what people will bump/elbow/bruise/assault each other for if it's on sale :D :roll:

*And if you don't want to face that, you could always order it online on whatever day happens to be Black-Friday-Internet-Day coming up ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be working on Friday. Not that I go out into that insanity for anything. Never have, never will. There's no sale so tempting that I need to submit myself to that. I'm just glad I'm at a gas station and not any other form of retail. Worked the day once, back before it became a national obsession, and that was bad enough. Just not my cuppa.

But, then, everyone I need gifts for has specifically asked for gift cards, and if I get them at work, I get money off my gas purchase, so that makes it really easy for me.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
When my girls were younger, before my wife & I started to shop on the internet, we'd sometimes go out on Black Friday. We'd be out there at 4am. It wasn't fun.

Now we order everything online.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I've never experienced a Black Friday, and I hope never to. I've always hated shopping when there are crowds, like the day before Christmas Day. Being that close to that many people... *shudder*

And if the news reports that make their way overseas are anything to go by, nothing I've experienced in Australian or New Zealand shops could have prepared me for the kind of violent free-for-all that happens on Black Friday. :tongue

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I've never experienced a Black Friday, and I hope never to. I've always hated shopping when there are crowds, like the day before Christmas Day. Being that close to that many people... *shudder*

And if the news reports that make their way overseas are anything to go by, nothing I've experienced in Australian or New Zealand shops could have prepared me for the kind of violent free-for-all that happens on Black Friday. :tongue

Go watch the trailer for World War Z. It's rather like that, only you have to pay at the end of the line with cash or credit.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I've never experienced a Black Friday, ...

Yes, you hold onto you money, and push and shove, and trying to get at something you want. Angry glares are usually intimidation, because people usually just grab what you have and run off to the register with it.

Do not get a shopping cart, trust me, carrying is better - unless you plan to use it as a battering ram or buy a TV...

Go watch the trailer for World War Z. It's rather like that, only you have to pay at the end of the line with cash or credit.

Yeah, very early in the morning, this. Definitely this.

Although I went to a Kohls last year on black Friday thinking the mayhem would be over after 4pm. They were still lined up all the way back to the back of the store and almost into the storage room at that hour. :(

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I have a question. What do you do when someone has a self published book, they asked you to review it on Amazon & Goodreads and it's really badly written?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got news. I've been booked to appear on PA Radio 01-17-13, where I can talk Vision of Shadows!

Congrats! Do you have a list of things they're going to ask or are you just going to have to be surprised?

Yes, you hold onto you money, and push and shove, and trying to get at something you want. Angry glares are usually intimidation, because people usually just grab what you have and run off to the register with it.

Do not get a shopping cart, trust me, carrying is better - unless you plan to use it as a battering ram or buy a TV...

The women of my family spend the evening after Thanksgiving dinner with all the various ads and their shopping lists. They figure out how many stores they need to hit and make up lists for each store and exchange money to cover each list.

Then they recruit their teams. Three people to a team, with one preteen or teen preferred. The preteen/teen is the one who goes in and automatically gets in line, since most people don't seem to want to beat up on a respectful kid. The other two scour the store for the things on the list (one with a cart, one for all the pushing and shoving).

Then they test their walkie-talkies to make sure they all still work, figure out call-signs, etc. (this was back before the days of cell phones, mind you--don't know what they do now.)

They make arrangements for who's calling who when to make sure everyone's moving in the wee morning hours, so the teams can assemble, meet at the local all-night Dunkin' Donuts for coffee and last minute checks, and go out.

They're generally not finished until sometime that afternoon--meaning over 12 hours of holiday shopping.

My sisters claim it's the best way to do it, since it gets everything but stocking stuffers out of the way, but I think they're insane. Just watching the prep scared me off ever attempting it, lemme tell you.

I have a question. What do you do when someone has a self published book, they asked you to review it on Amazon & Goodreads and it's really badly written?

Is there anything positive that you can mention? A decent character, a plot twist, anything? Or is it so horribly written that you can't make out a sentence, let alone anything more?

Personally, I wouldn't ever agree to do that, especially if it's an acquaintance. A friend would know better than to ask me. ;)

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Just looking at that shopping operation makes me grouchy and agitated, never mind actually going to those crowded stores. More power to them, but I'd rather embrace the alternative American Thanksgiving tradition of spending the following 3 days in a food coma.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I missed this earlier - congratz!

Thanks!

Congrats! Do you have a list of things they're going to ask or are you just going to have to be surprised?

No, unless they send me something before hand. They discuss all things paranormal, so I'll be asked about my book, get to plug it. They said that they'll ask if I have any life experience with the paranormal. Stuff like that.

Is there anything positive that you can mention? A decent character, a plot twist, anything? Or is it so horribly written that you can't make out a sentence, let alone anything more?

Personally, I wouldn't ever agree to do that, especially if it's an acquaintance. A friend would know better than to ask me. ;)

Positive? Um... It's short.

That depends on who the someone is. Are you able to just... decline?

I kind of told them in advance I'd do it. I hadn't read anything from them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.