The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who may not know, Ms. OFG had a birfday today.

Yep. It's true. She's #%* now.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
:roll:

Back when I was finishing school in Buffalo, I bartended to pay the bills. The bars there used to serve a sandwich (still do I understand) that consisted of a hand carved roast beef, sliced from a steamship round, and served on a special roll called kummelweck. Kummelweck is kind of like a kaiser roll, but made with kummel (a german caraway seed based liquor with an umlaut [the word "kummel" not the liquor itself]) and topped with kosher salt (the roll, not the liquor). We served it with horseradish and a dill pickle on the side. The bartenders carved the beef. I got so I could cut it so thin you could almost see through it.

Every Friday about a minute before midnight, the Catholics flocked to the bar. I always started slicing ahead. :D

Eventually I got so sick of roast beef I couldn't eat it for a couple of years after I finally left that job. I'm better now.

Haggis! Fellow Buffaloian! Best place by me was Bailo's, hands down, at Lovejoy and Bailey Ave.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Mmmmmm... grits! With butter.

And bacon. Thick sliced, hickory smoked bacon.

And fresh eggs - got a client who has 40 hens. Brings me two dozen eggs a week. FRESH eggs.

And hashbrowns.

Man... I'm hungry. Having made it through the 59th birthday yesterday with nary a scratch, I think it's about time for breakfast!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
finishing school in Buffalo

Just checking facts. There's a finishing school in Buffalo, New York? And you attended?

Edit: My dad was born in Bufflo, Wyoming. It was lucky to have a grade school.

Every Friday about a minute before midnight, the Catholics flocked to the bar.

I would've been right there. I never minded most Friday fish dishes, but I drew the line on shrimp pizza with pineapple before Friday night at the movies. Ugh!

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis! Fellow Buffaloian! Best place by me was Bailo's, hands down, at Lovejoy and Bailey Ave.

I kindasorta remember that place. There were lots of good eateries in Buffalo.

Just checking facts. There's a finishing school in Buffalo, New York?
Indeed there is.
And you attended?
Can't you tell by my marvelous etiquette?
I would've been right there. I never minded most Friday fish dishes, but I drew the line on shrimp pizza with pineapple before Friday night at the movies. Ugh!
The only things that belong on pizza are cheese and pepperoni. Maybe the occasional sausage or bacon. But that's it. I love shrimp, just not in pizza.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only things that belong on pizza are cheese and pepperoni. Maybe the occasional sausage or bacon.

I agree. Crustaceans and acidic fruit on pizza are desperate attempts to avoid red meat. I'd much rather wait until zero dark thirty on Saturday and go to a Protestant bar serving juicy roast beef.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Crustaceans and acidic fruit on pizza are desperate attempts to avoid red meat. I'd much rather wait until zero dark thirty on Saturday and go to a Protestant bar serving juicy roast beef.

And a Bloody Mary!

OFG Happy Belated Birthday.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Just checking facts. There's a finishing school in Buffalo, New York?

Yes there really sort of was. Barbizon school of modeling had all that. Just looked on internet they actually still have one in Buffalo. Imagine that. They even produced models who got real modeling jobs too. :D

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
POA.JPG

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
....The only things that belong on pizza are cheese and pepperoni....

There's this marvelous Italian eatery here in OKC... the owner - long dead - used to be affiliated with all sorts of riff-raff (mobsters, presidents, celebrities, etc...). They have a Deep Fried Pepperoni Pizza that will make you slap yo mama. I know... I know... sounds awful! But deep frying the pepperoni makes it crispy - like potato chips - and they pile it high on a hand-tossed crust that has a buttery finish.

:sigh:

Want one for breakfast...

And a Bloody Mary!

OFG Happy Belated Birthday.

Thank you... thank you. :)

Happy belated birthday, OFG!
And grits!I could go for some grits....

Thank you, too!

I made breakfast on the deck yesterday. Ol' Boy fired up the charcoal side of the gas grill and I fried bacon and potatoes and eggs. Made biscuits in the gas side. Al fresco dining... the closest I'll get to actually camping out these days. YUM.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Thank you! It's been a damn fine week, as birthdays go. I've not been a big fan of 'em since I was 20 or so... but the older I get, the more I realize they're a good thing. As opposed to the 'not having', y'unnerstand.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving for all you oldtimers who celebrate the historic feast.

WriterJane

Registered
Reaction score
I remember carbon paper. Recently I had to explain it to a couple of sweet young things who wondered what that "cc" line stood for, anyway. I told them about the horror of realizing that you'd put it in backwards and now had two unusable pages--one in mirror image, one hard to read because it had stuff all over the back.

They were appropriately awed by how tough life was in the Oldt Days.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ah! Carbon paper!

I went to work for Xerox back in the day... sometime around '77, IIRC. In the first week, I needed to type something I needed to make a copy of and asked the district manager's secretary if she had any carbon paper...

... the look on her face was a mixture of amusement and horror.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember carbon paper. Recently I had to explain it to a couple of sweet young things who wondered what that "cc" line stood for, anyway. I told them about the horror of realizing that you'd put it in backwards and now had two unusable pages--one in mirror image, one hard to read because it had stuff all over the back.

They were appropriately awed by how tough life was in the Oldt Days.

:ROFL:

:welcome: WriterJane. You can park your walker right over here. :)

Ah, yes. Carbon paper! Actually, I still use it. Not in Ye Olde Typewriter, but for tracing sewing and embroidery patterns.

Useful stuff. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.