• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Ravenous Romance

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
As Victoria---this thread's moderator---already pointed out, WOW, you have an odd fixation on RR and frankly, I think you seem bent on stirring things up about this publisher for no good reason whatsoever.

If you have legitimate questions about RR's administrative operations, its contract, its personnel, its sales, etc, that's one thing, but you don't. You're instead splitting hairs about what you think the journalists who are writing _about_ RR have in their heads when they are doing press coverage. That's not in the spirit of this thread, IMHO. It belongs on a wisecracking blog or something similar, not a fact-checking thread.

Not only is it annoying, it's getting in the way of anyone who's looking for serious background info on this publisher via this thread.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Banter aside, I think WOW makes a valid point about RR and any inaccuracies that they're bothered with. If these inaccuracies are such a big deal that they complain about them, but then do nothing that can make one wonder about the publisher. Personally I think it's great that they're getting people talking about what they're doing - I've not seen anyone in this thread who has wished that they go under. They seem to have a strong beginning and that's good. But if there are inaccuracies somewhere that bother the publisher enough to publically say something about them, then I believe that does merit some investigation. Or maybe RR realized later that it wasn't such a big deal after all, and that's why they've not made a move to correct it. Maybe it all just comes down to semantics.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Well it appears WOW has retreated, but I'll leave my responses to him/her up for the time being, unless Victoria thinks they should come down, too.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Ravenous posted an entry on the publicity (and some of the inaccuracies in some of the articles) on their blog today: click here

Last edited:

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Ravenous posted an entry on the publicity (and some of the inaccuracies in some of the articles) on their blog today: click here

I might suggest, though, that they fix the title of the post where they misuse the term "It's"--which is a contraction for "It is" and not the possessive they obviously intend. Nit-picky? Sure. But since portions of this thread have discussed quality control issues at Ravenous, well...just saying. And it's my pet peeve, if you see what I mean. :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Apparently, the anthology Sex and Shoes (with my story in it) was available but I can't find it on the site. The cover is beside my author name, though, and it's really cool!

ETA: I asked Lori about it on her blog and she emailed me to say it was a website glitch and they're working on it.

Last edited:

HaxxanDreams

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have updates on Ravenous Romance's response time for a full? It says 4 weeks on their pdf download. Any idea if this is still the norm for a short story?

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
I think they are being inundated with submissions since the launch; you could probably query them after six weeks with no response. . .

HaxxanDreams

Registered
Reaction score
Just updating, 8 weeks for me and waiting. Anyone else on the waiting bench? How long?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not a fan of censorship in general (and I'm not an asshat who says "I'm not a fan of censorship in general..." and then encourages censorship... I don't think...), but can "Writing on Walls," and any residual new user IDs, be seriously discouraged from posting in this thread again (should s/he return). S/he's officially got "0" posts recorded. S/he's posted a gazillion times (give or take), and thus, has removed a gazillion (give or take) posts.

Or take away his/her "delete post" function, and probably the "edit post" function, too.

I wasn't interested in the spat going on (srsly! really, really, so-totally-srsly. I've seen more than enough...), but for anyone looking for info about this publisher, reading one side of a conversation that was clearly somewhat incendiary is irritating at best. "Edit" and "delete" functions allow for an alternate reality that's so not cool. It's just not what the B&BC thread is here for.

Sorry, but that was just abusive. I'm okay now.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I disagree about banning members or urging them not to poste somewhere, but strongly agree on the deletion of messages. It is incredibly irritating.

A board I used to moderate set things so after a day had passed a post could no longer be edited or deleted without a moderator's intervention. Perhaps this is an option to explore? We have a lot of threads of this nature here, it seems, where entire conversations have been altered.

Sorry, just adding my 2p. I know this is way OT.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Haxxan, I know for a fact that they are inundated w/ submissions, and they give priority to reading submissions by their existing stable of authors. New authors therefore go to the back of the line. I'd encourage you to be patient.

They're a great publisher to work with once they do get to your work, BTW. Very professional and supportive.

Elphaba1977

Registered
Reaction score
Haxxan,

I heard back from them relatively quickly. I sent my query and such a little before Christmas and heard back from them around the 2nd week of Jan.

HaxxanDreams

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Elphaba1977. If you sent in a little before Christmas, that was after I submitted. Now I'm wondering if mine got lost or what. Like Sakamonda said, they could be just innudated. I did send them a follow up email on January 16th, but no word yet to that either. I'm kind of counting it as an R at this point.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
But most epubs offer a much higher royalty percentage than print----i.e., most print pubs offer 8-10% of print cover price, while epubs like Ravenous offer a royalty rate of 38% of net. And the only place you are going to see net sales are via the secondary markets like Fictionwise or All Romance Ebooks or Kindle sales on Amazon, all of which take a cut of the sale. (and most ebook pubs still sell the largest portion of their sales directly from their own sites).

So the substantially higher royalty percentage gives you a much better deal than what you'd get on print net sales. (and mind you, most of the big NYC houses are still only giving authors pittance 8-10% royalty rates on the ebook and Kindle versions of mainstream print titles)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That is true. But I was commenting more on the net versus gross element. Especially a broadly interpreted net. It means that it is quite likely that 35% at Loose Id (gross) is more than 38% at RR (net).

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
The exact wording in the RR contract re: net is "amount received by publisher". So if publisher receives 4.99 from Fictionwise on a book that retails for $6.99, then the author gets 38% of 4.99. Meanwhile, if someone buys direct from the RR site, their cover price is "discounted" to $4.99 (from the $6.99 they charge on secondary markets like Fictionwise), and the rate is still 38% of 4.99. The fact they build the secondary market fee into their pricing structure helps put more $$ back in the authors' pockets on the secondary markets.

Which is good, since I seem to be getting a lot of sales on Fictionwise, All Romance Ebooks, and Amazon Kindle.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
"the net dollar amount received by the Publisher for sale of the Publisher’s publication(s) of the Work from the retailer or consumer, after discount, less actual returns or credits issued relating to prior sales; less shipping, mailing, insurance and handling expenses; less credit card, payment processing or collection costs; and less currency conversion costs; and excluding sales, GST, VAT or other taxes"

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I apologise if this is a stupid question, but how can you have returns on e-books, and how can there be shipping expenses?

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Ravenous offers a money-back guarantee on their books. And they also are selling the print rights of their books as well as foreign rights (mostly print0, so their print/foreign titles can have returns and shipping expenses.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
PS, I'm currently reading a Harlequin Christmas-themed title. I'm not very far in, but in the first ten pages there are six -- typos; missed paragraph indents; missing quotes; wrong punctuation (glaringly wrong); homonymous word choices where the wrong guess was made.

FWIW.

Often I think we can all be too critical..... Crap happens.. things get missed even in books.....BTW I love Harlequin Titles :)