Suggest a book/series for a Potter fan

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you try Diana Wynne Jones, also look for Joan Aiken, probably best known for 'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' and many sequels. Not magic, but alternative, historic England. Also many short story collections with either magic or strangeness in them.
As for Asimov, I don't know about 'themes', but I read 'I, Robot' when I was 10, and enjoyed reading the 'history' of robots, in a series of short stories.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the Artemis Fowl series. I still absolutely love rereading those books.

I also recently read The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series and found them to be clever, funny and to make fascinating use of a wide range of historical characters.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Might want to be a tad careful on Anne McCaffrey given some of the, er, things the dragonriders do that are of adult content, though tastefully alluded to. I confess to reading those early myself as well.

Really? Oops. I guess it HAS been a long time since I read her stories. (Come to think of it, I was young enough when I read them that such scenes may have gone right over my head). Sounds like I have some re-reading to do!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I really like "A Night in the Lonesome October" by Zelazny; it came out a few years before MG was much of a thing, and I don't believe it did well (it was also a departure for the author) but it is a fun, silly MG-ish monster mashup including Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Lovecraft mythos, Jack the Ripper, and a handful of others, all told by Jack's familiar, a dog named Snuff.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Anything by Roald Dahl.

He may be old enough to enjoy Piers Anthony or Anne McCaffrey. I started reading both of those fairly young and enjoyed the heck out of them.

may want to avoid Fireflies.....admittedly I read that at like ten or eleven, but I had no idea what I was getting into. It is a bad, over-written book anyway, but highly sexualized too (for kids...it is a horror/erotica mix) and apparently something of a cause celibre in some circles who see it as a justification or advocacy piece for pedophilia....Piers got a lot of shit for it, and IIRC his defenses were less than stellar. WAY less. :-(

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
may want to avoid Fireflies.....admittedly I read that at like ten or eleven, but I had no idea what I was getting into. It is a bad, over-written book anyway, but highly sexualized too (for kids...it is a horror/erotica mix) and apparently something of a cause celibre in some circles who see it as a justification or advocacy piece for pedophilia....Piers got a lot of shit for it, and IIRC his defenses were less than stellar. WAY less. :-(

Ack! My childhood! I only read the Xanth novels and the Incarnations of Immortality (and whatever that book was where a girl travels through dozens of parallel universes). I knew nothing of this.

Well that's just great. My recommendations have made me look like some kind of perv. Sorry OP.

:(

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i don't think it went into his other writings....but even a browse of the amazon or B&N reviews of fireflies is...interesting

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for Percy Jackson series and the other books by Rick Riordan set in the Percy Jackson universe.
I also am seconding votes for Artemis Fowl, Dealing with Dragons, all Terry Pratchett, and His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.)
Additionally, I'd like to recommend Sabriel by Garth Nix.

Poet of Gore

Banned
Reaction score
As a possible warning, those things have Christian themes up the yin-yang...

Another thought, on roughly similar/Arthurian inspired lines - would he be too young for T. A. Barron's Lost Years of Merlin series?

christian themes like love and forgiveness? well, forget that. I mean, being civilized is so passe

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
I third Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, but also highly recommend Patrick Ness's The Chaos Walking Trilogy. Just brilliant.

Andieee

Potatoes gon' potate.
Registered
Reaction score
Darren Shan's books are pretty awesome.
Also, Joseph Delaney has written a dark series called The Wardstone Chronicles. Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams is a brillaint series and one of my all time favourites (it was discovered by the same guy who found Harry Potter, from what I read :D )

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Without any reservation I recommend The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott -- best YA fantasy I have ever read. Scott is a master folklorist and an authority on world mythologies, and his use of magic is more creative and compelling than any I have ever encountered in a YA series.

It's amazing. I can't say enough good things about it.

Last edited:

Andieee

Potatoes gon' potate.
Registered
Reaction score
Without any reservation I recommend The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott -- best YA fantasy I have ever read. Scott is a master folklorist and an authority on world mythologies, and his use of magic is more creative and compelling than any I have ever encountered in a YA series.

It's amazing. I can't say enough good things about it.
How could I forget about this? D: That book series is amazing!