What are you reading?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished: Fire in the Grove: The Cocoanut Grove Tragedy and Its Aftermath by John C. Esposito (pretty good) and Cheryl Strayed's Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar (some lovely, compassionate responses but it all began to sound the same after a while).

Now working on Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See and liking it very much.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Recently read Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer - astounding, inspiring, loved it.
Then read The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - absolutely adored it, can't wait to read the sequel, The Rosie Effect.
Now reading and enjoying Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.
On a roll :)

WaywardSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Caleb Carr's The Alienist. I'd probably be doing better with it if I weren't reading it in very short bursts during my commute; it's dense and I'm forgetful these days.

nastyjman

not nasty at all
Registered
Reaction score
Shibumi by Trevanian

I discovered the book after watching John Wick. An extra in the movie was shown reading this book. I think it was the part where John Wick was entering the abandoned airstrip.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a run of three 200,000-word+ novels. I read Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries and I'm now a third of the way through J.G. Farrell's sixth and last completed novel, The Singapore Grip and after that Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. Whether I'll get through all that by the end of the year is a good question. The Catton and Tartt and both nearer 300k than 200k.

I've had a reading project with J.G. Farrell this year, and have reread Troubles and The Siege of Krishnapur and read the other four novels, including the three from the Sixties which are hard to find, and the first two (A Man from the Elsewhere and The Lung, both published as by "James Farrell") change hands for three or four figures on used book sites. I had to get them via an inter-county library loan as Hampshire Libraries didn't have them. The third novel, A Girl in the Head, was the one which had a paperback reprint after the author's death in 1979 and was the one I liked the least. The Sixties novels are contemporary-set comedy-dramas (all about 70k words) and are of interest but are all minor works and tended to be a little derivative, of Malcolm Lowry, Vladimir Nabokov and others. The Lung was the best of them for me, a black comedy clearly based on personal experience: Farrell, like his protagonist, had had polio and had spent time in an iron lung.

You can see a big jump in the three years between A Girl in the Head and Troubles, in word count as well as achievement, and it's the Empire Trilogy (which might have been a Quartet with The Hill Station, the unfinished novel published after his death) is what his reputation will stand on. The Singapore Grip, set in that country during WW2, is written in third person omni, and there's a remarkable chapter which goes from one character to another during the course of a night, ending with the death of a native character in a bombing raid.

Last edited:

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Last Call" by Tim Powers; I'm starting Marc Daniels "These Are the Voyages: Season Two"...cool behind-the-scenes look at Star Trek's second season.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. (-: Because I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss.

fahrenheit9on1

Young Author
Registered
Reaction score
A friend gave me a copy of Stephen King's The Green Mile a while back and I finally got around to reading it. Kind of wish I'd started reading it sooner. Next it's off to Kafka and then Edgar Allen Poe.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
A Girl is a Half-formed Thing, by Eimear McBride. I feel slow-witted, just can't catch on to the rhythm of it.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
A Girl is a Half-formed Thing, by Eimear McBride. I feel slow-witted, just can't catch on to the rhythm of it.

I felt like that while I was reading it (at the start anyway) but now think it was brilliant and intend on reading it again. Worth wading through (despite the heavy themes) for the pure direct-into-your-brain writing.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Just finished reading Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.
Didn't see the movie so had no preconceived ideas about it. Although an original and unusual read, I didn't care for any of the characters. No redeeming qualities and the ending felt pretty unsatisfying. I'll put up with almost anything in a book, even a bleak read like this one, if it has a satisfying resolution or even ANY resolution. But there really wasn't one. It just seemed to circle back on itself to square one, only worse.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Last Picture Show

Had no idea Larry McMurtry wrote that.

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
Wait For Signs, Craig Johnson. A collection of short stories featuring Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire, with an introduction by actor Lou Diamond Phillips. Phillips portrays the character Henry Standing Bear in the television mystery series Longmire on A&E.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading one nonfiction book, Passport to Magonia by Vallee (actual book) and one novel, The Princess Bride on Kindle.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Some Luck by Jane Smiley. So far, so good.

TheUnknownWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Ajaye, Into The Wild is a great book. Have you read Into Thin Air? I haven't yet, but I love Krakauer's work and would love to pick it up some day.

I'm reading S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams. I know the "mystery in the margins" thing is sort of a gimmick, but I'm pretty wrapped up in it. It's a rich, intricate mystery, full of conspiracy and melancholy and literary/historical references.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Ajaye, Into The Wild is a great book. Have you read Into Thin Air? I haven't yet, but I love Krakauer's work and would love to pick it up some day.

I'm reading S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams. I know the "mystery in the margins" thing is sort of a gimmick, but I'm pretty wrapped up in it. It's a rich, intricate mystery, full of conspiracy and melancholy and literary/historical references.

Hi Unknown. No I haven't read Into Thin Air yet but I plan to. I'm about a third of the way through his Under the Banner of Heaven (about Mormon fundamentalism) at the moment, which is educational if not exactly enjoyable cos of the subject matter. Yep, I love Krakauer's work too, his research must be enormous.

Hey I knew nought about S, had a google and now intrigued. May have to add that to my list! :)