How do I get ongoing speaking engagements

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
How do I go about getting speaking engagements that pay or at least pay for my travel expenses? I have specialized in my talents and feel people can benefit from what I have learned. I am eager to share my expertise with those who care to accept it.
So, you start a thread with a question. You claim that you want help.

Well, I have executive experience in business matters and as such thought I'd help out a fellow AW member.

So, I asked you some questions so I can get a better feel for your problem, generate a problem description, and begin work on a solution.

However, you fail(ed) to answer any of the questions I pose and instead opt for childish back and forth on this thread...

I guess you don't want any help or are serious about wanting help.

good luck to you

Mel....

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I would be happy to speak to you but not on the public board. It doesn't matter what I list as credentials, people will mock me. If you would like to speak in private, that will be fine.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Do we have any more of that sparkly popcorn?

Jeff, did it ever occur to you that if you came here a little less confrontational, did a little less dodging, and just kind of chilled out a little - that no one would mock you? You come here full of attitude, snark about how useless you think AW is, and then expect help? Really? You see nothing wrong with that?

Of course, you won't answer - since that's kind of your MO when it comes to questions, isn't it?

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I was fine until the mod got her panties in a wad. Go back and review the threads, she provoked me. It happens frequently when I come here. In my most recent visits I've been calm until provoked. I will answer any question you may have. What's on your mind?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
You mean the mod who simply and clearly told you to stop spamming multiple fora with the same question? A clear and reasonable directive you're describing as "got her panties in a wad" and claiming as provocation for your little dick-waving spree of general narcissistic tantrum and abuse?

Righhhhht. Why are you still here? Didn't you promise to leave again, over in one of the PA threads?

Because I'm getting really tired of you, Jeff, quite frankly. People tried to defuse your snit with humor, and you just got snittier -- until I'm really perplexed as to why I should continue to allow you to post here at all.

ETA: You know what? I'm not going to let you post anymore, Jeff. I'll leave your account, and leave you with read-only access, just in case you're actually capable of learning. But asking my mods to deal with you is a waste of their time and energy.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff,

every action we take has a consequence. When I offer my consultant services I do so at a considerable rate which I will not disclose here but I will say that you probably couldn't afford my services.

I feel a very special kinship with AW, if not for AW I would have never become a regularly published AND PAID author. As such, i've helped several AWers out on private business matters giving them guidance for free and in one case prevented an AWer from making a $20K mistake.

I was going to extend you this courtesy since I just assumed you were the normal AW member. I was going to treat your question as a project and see if I couldn't make your dream a reality since public speaking is something i've done. I even owned a company that did paid lectures and speaking events.

But then I've read a few of your posts.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5039797&postcount=2735
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5039850&postcount=2741

Every action has a consequence and I can't in good faith help someone who views AW in such a bad light.

This site is gold, this site is free, and this site asks nothing in return. How you've come to your views about AW I have no idea, nor do I care. And the way you insult some of our most esteemed and respected members makes me want to take you behind the shed and "Have us a talk".

good luck to you and please do not contact me again. You will be the second person whom i've put on ignore in my 4 years as an AW member. So that should say something.

Mel...

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
See? Like I said, does not answer questions. Of course, now he can't publicly, but it doesn't matter because he won't anyway. I suppose if someone says they are an expert in something, I'm supposed to just believe it because hey, they said so.

I don't get the mentality of coming into someone's house (in this case, Mac's), telling everyone how crappy you think it is, and then being surprised (or, worse, actually offended because everyone gets their "panties in a wad" -which is one of my pet hated phrases, TBH) What do you have to be on to think people wouldn't be defensive about something like that in the first place?

Sorry, but if I'm laying out money for someone to read my slush, or to speak as an expert on a topic, I want real, verifiable credentials that go beyond your word. I want someone who ISN'T going to just not answer questions (or do the, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. What did you want to know?" when those questions are right there in plain sight. Cyber-speaking, of course.)

Not taking just your word. Not when, from what I've seen on the minimal background research I've done, my cat is more expertise. And I don't think there's anything amiss in anyone else doing the same.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but if I'm laying out money for someone to read my slush, or to speak as an expert on a topic, I want real, verifiable credentials that go beyond your word. I want someone who ISN'T going to just not answer questions (or do the, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. What did you want to know?" when those questions are right there in plain sight. Cyber-speaking, of course.)

What amuses me is, there's a recently added call for editors in the Paying Markets forum with two ways listed to send your credentials. I can guarantee that Jeff hasn't sent anything to one of the e-mail addresses listed, because I'm monitoring it and, if he did happen to send something to the other contact listed, he hasn't passed their initial screening. Somehow, I'm betting he didn't send anything to the other person, either.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  1. Go to school.
  2. Become an Expert on a subject.
  3. Write a few articles on the subject.
  4. Post on AW that you're looking for speaking gigs.
  5. ???
  6. Profit!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought someone killed off that little asshat a couple of years ago.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LIAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Public speaking gigs are, in my extremely limited experience, often thrust on the last person to flee the room. :)

KathrynLang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SnarkyRainbows.com
wanted to learn something about speaking gigs

:(

I personally would love to get some ideas about finding and landing speaking gigs - either from my writing and websites or from past speaking engagements.

Would it best to start a new thread?

leon66a

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Soccer Mom--I can make the Avatar sticky, iff'in you want.

I read that as you were going to make the Avatar a stiffy. I was shocked. I looked, of course, but still, I was shocked.