Toastmasters

dkch

All I know is in this moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dkchristi.com
Absolutely the best public speaking training I have ever experienced. I was a polished, professional speaker when my job included a two-hour lunch on Toastmaster days. I checked it out. I learned from the moment I walked into the meeting. I wonder in these days of internet everything, microphones and videos and cameras, if there's an online meeting. The club is free except for a small (very small) weekly membership fee. It has a standard curriculum, great contests, wonderful travel and speaking opportunities and camaraderie for those who want more than training.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I am not disagreeing with ANYTHING else in your post except that you say: The club is free except for a small (very small) weekly membership fee.

Any fee is a fee. The club is not free at all, there is just a small (very small) weekly membership fee. :)

dkch

All I know is in this moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dkchristi.com
Yes, the materials did cost a little; and I think we brought our lunch and paid a quarterly fee of some small amount. Therefore, technically it wasn't free. However, compared to my university education and travel to conferences, it felt free. The meetings were also attended by those of very small means to those of well paid professions, so there was a democratic element I liked, the common thread of a common goal in spite of major differences in profession and economic status.

I see many Toastmaster posts; but after scanning many, I have not yet seen one about an online Toastmasters' organization. I'm sure one must exist; it's just a matter of tracking it down on Google or somewhere.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I attended one and it looks pretty challenging. I'll try to make room because I really have to get over my stage fright, fear of speaking for presentations, what have you. Therapy does not come cheaper - I shopped around!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Story...

Years ago (more than 20), I joined Toastmasters as a networking tool through my job...

...After a year, I was elected president of our local chapter and I am eternally grateful for that experience.

It gave me so much confidence and helped my self-esteem tremendously!

Now, I'm able to speak (confidently) in front of hundreds of people when I'm called upon to do so, and while I've always written poetry, the speech-writing exercises inspired me to write my first play back in 1981.

Toastmasters is a great confidence booster and a fun organization - I highly recommend it. :hi:

KathrynLang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SnarkyRainbows.com
This is one of many recommendations I have heard for Toastmasters. The challenge for me will be making room in the schedule to attend meetings. There is nothing local so I will have to drive to the nearest meeting (about 1/2 hour away).

All the raves about it make me think it will be worth the investment of time and of money.

readlorey

There may be bloodshed...just sayin
Registered
Reaction score
I became a member just this year and the fees are nominal considering how much it would probably cost getting the training a lot more than the fees I pay twice a year.

PowerWriter

Registered
Reaction score
My wife is a DTM and a past area governor. I have been to many meetings as a guest. I really am impressed with the organization. They not only help you learn about speaking but also business etiquette like conducting a meeting, rules of order, and casual conversation. She's of course advised me to join, but I resist. I can type speechs all bloody day, but I like to sit and craft, not stand and blab. I tell her I'll join when I get my book published and it looks like I'll have to go on a speaking tour. She doesn't look too hoepful that I'll join.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
If you are thinking about joining, attend several in your area. While the programs and literature are the same, the clubs vary quite a bit.

The level of expertise, the style, the purpose, and even the membership will have a great deal to do with your comfort and what you get out of it.

for instance, in Oregon, where I have visited and attended a number of them, one concentrated on preparing speakers for competition and produced a world champion a few years ago. Another was a bit stuck-up, another quite 'hickey'. Some are centered on one thing, such as salesmanship or clergy, while others a much more general. When there is a special interest it is indicated in the on-line club locator, along with location and times of meeting and a contact number. Many of the clubs have their own web page.

Most of them are hosted in restaurants and you will find yourself buying a meal as part of the meeting. There is usually a small dues fee to pay for the necessities the club must purchase.

All in all, if you find a good club, it is extremely inexpensive in comparison with similar education opportunities. It is really not free but for many easily affordable.

Clubs welcome guests and allow you to observe or participate while visiting. Many will pick up the cost of your first meal with them.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
It has been a long time since I was a member of Toastmasters, but it was a much-needed resource when I had to prepare for teaching and professional oral presentations. Without it, I'd have been stuck with public speaking phobia and all that implies in terms of stifling a career.

Membership fees are very reasonable. I was on an extremely limited budget at the time, but it was one of the best investments I've made.

Each club does have its own personality, so do check out more than one if there's an option.

Howleyer Than Thou

Registered
Reaction score
I should mention that I hadn't written ANYTHING in several years after I had my baby. Toastmasters got me writing again in a whole new way too. Having to write speeches made me really think about what was important to me. - what was important enough to take the time to research or just explore and write and to memorize and use my audience's precious 7 minutes as well.

It was a real gift. I've learned a lot about storytelling in general because of my TM time.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
I went on a book tour when my memoir came out in 2011 and found speaking and reading from my book very natural. I was a teacher in Japan and Hawaii but people still encourage me to get into public speaking. I guess I can start with toastmasters and see what it's about. Aloha http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849915237/?tag=absowrit-20

penguin girl

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a member for several years. I attended five (!) different clubs until I found one that felt right.

Last year, I gave a presentation to about 100 people. One of the senior execs in the meeting went off -- on me, my topic, my content, my approach, everything except my outfit. It was 15 minutes of hell that truly felt like an eternity.

I don't remember much of the experience, I got the play by play later from friends in the audience.

What I do remember is that I NEVER lost my composure, and I calmly answered each of the questions, no matter how unprofessionally they were delivered.

I couldn't have done this without Toastmaster training. I hope anyone considering it will try a few meetings. It's worth the minimal fees and the time you'll spend.

PM me if you have any questions :)

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
My friends were able to join Toastmasters and their experiences were very satisfactory as well

joanforder

Registered
Reaction score
I was active in Toastmasters for many years. I first started to help me overcome fear of speaking in public but I found their leadership training to be incredible as well as the wonderful sense of community. There are clubs everywhere with different times to meet and each with a slightly different focus. I would recommend checking out a few different clubs before deciding which one to join. Each club usuallyl has an annual open house as well. The speaker training was amazing. The basic training had a set of topics that you work through and receive feedback about. The advanced training allows the individual to pick topics that they are interested in.

Last edited:

conradland

Registered
Reaction score
I attended a few meetings and even made my "ice breaker" speech, then kinda fell off. Toastmasters is definitely a program geared towards moving members forward in the process, you have to dedicate some time. But otherwise I had a great experience