So confused about my non-fiction proposal/query!

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
I am a fiction writer and this is the first time I have tried non-fiction.
I've been reading about non-fiction queries/proposals and I know there is this gigantic list of items we should present with our query, but some of the items don't make much sense with the type of non-fiction I want to present. It's not a health book or something that offers a solution to a certain problem, it's a book that collects funny stories that happened in my life. So things like a table of contents, or platform, etc don't really make much sense when presenting my book, do they?
Do I need a big bio (I don't really have anything interesting to tell them that would add to the book. It's not subject I'm an expert at, it's just funny stories from my life), does a chapter/chapters outlines make sense in this type of non-fiction?

Right now what I have is a hook, I compare it to books of the genre and tell them why I think my should sell and then I say a little something about myself. I would also send sample chapters.
Is this enough, for my type of non fiction?

Thank you!

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
I would that publishers would want to know whether you know what you're doing and what you're including in the book. I wouldn't take someone seriously if he or she just said, "Oh, it's a bunch of funny stories." That would make me think of an ordinary joke book. If you can show some type of thought process and order, I'd think that would be helpful to you. Maybe you can say that the stories follow your school career in one chapter and funny things that happened to you and your siblings (if you have any) in another.

Platforms are important because publishers want to know who, if anyone, would be predisposed to buy your book. They want to know if you have a following or high-profile in your area. I'm hoping that my online newspaper, radio show, and TV show will act as feathers in my little cap. :)

What you'll have to send publishers, in terms of numbers of chapters, would depend on what their guidelines are. You can usually figure that out when you visit their websites.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Unfortunately, you do need a platform for a joke book. They aren't an easy sell. Could you reconfigure the book as a memoir? You'd still need to demonstrate an ability to help sell the book, but the fact that you're not a known comedian wouldn't be a problem.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Generally each publisher has a specific guidelines or template for the kind of proposal they want, and I follow that closely.

You will still have chapters (TOC) and your platform is whatever specific kind of life these funny stories are about--and the fact you have that kind of life. Humor doesn't come from degrees or authority or having 1000s of twitter followers, it comes from unique experiences--they are your platform.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am a fiction writer and this is the first time I have tried non-fiction.
I've been reading about non-fiction queries/proposals and I know there is this gigantic list of items we should present with our query, but some of the items don't make much sense with the type of non-fiction I want to present. It's not a health book or something that offers a solution to a certain problem, it's a book that collects funny stories that happened in my life. So things like a table of contents, or platform, etc don't really make much sense when presenting my book, do they?
Do I need a big bio (I don't really have anything interesting to tell them that would add to the book. It's not subject I'm an expert at, it's just funny stories from my life), does a chapter/chapters outlines make sense in this type of non-fiction?

Right now what I have is a hook, I compare it to books of the genre and tell them why I think my should sell and then I say a little something about myself. I would also send sample chapters.
Is this enough, for my type of non fiction?

Thank you!

What is it? A memoir? Essays?

Regardless, yes, they make sense and are used for proposals for this type of book. Lena Dunham's proposal is kicking around somewhere online and she's a known, recruited quantity.

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a book of jokes. It is a collection of loose stories. They are all related to the topic of bad relationships with men, from early childhood until today. Would you consider this to be more a memoir?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a book of jokes. It is a collection of loose stories. They are all related to the topic of bad relationships with men, from early childhood until today. Would you consider this to be more a memoir?

I've no idea what it is; I haven't read it.

Is it a memoir? Does it have a structure? Is it a collection of essays?

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
It's something along the lines of what Chelsea Handler writes in "My Horizontal Life".

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
I've no idea what it is; I haven't read it.

Is it a memoir? Does it have a structure? Is it a collection of essays?

I am not sure how to answer this Cornflake.
The book is comprised of 24 stories, each one talks about a relationship with a man. It begins with me as a child and my relationship with my father, then a relationship when I was in fourth grade, then stories from teenage years, all the way into adulthood. The book has a chronological order, the theme is always the same. I am not sure if I would call these little stories essays. I am not 100% sure (English is not my native language), though I know the general meaning of essay.

Each story can be read separately, though there are a couple of chapters where I mention someone who has appeared in a previous chapter/story and I do mention my repetive patterns, which the readers will pick up on after reading a bunch of chapters.

Can you guys help me figure this out? Is it a memoir?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I would bill it as humorous memoir. Publishers can decide it's something else if they wish.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
So I just realized proposals are usually presented because nonfiction books are usually "proposed" before being written/completly written, which explains why they would have to contain so much information.
In my case, my book is completely written.

Am I correct to assume a proposal is sort of a "map" of what the author is thinking of presenting, when the book is not completely written, and that's why it needs so much info, because there is no book to speak for itself?

And if that is the case, because my book is written from beginning to end already, should I just write a query?

Veinglory suggested I should always present a proposal, no matter if the book is written or not, if that's what the agent asks. But what if the agent or agency doesn't specify what they want for a nonfiction submission?

Is a query letter of this sort enough: http://www.writersdigest.com/editor...rtin-and-youll-never-nanny-in-this-town-again

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You'll need a proposal. A high percentage of agents/publishers require them as part of the query package. Agents who do request more materials typically request that proposal first, even if the book is written.

I know it's painful. But it needs to be done.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would add: don't get overwhelmed by all the stuff on a proposal--most of it is brief. I just finished a proposal with 7-8 components and it was still only just over 3 pages long.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Unless you already have an agent/publisher that really needs it written a certain way, I'd say just go with what makes you feel comfortable. At the end of the day, it is your work and it is your book, and regardless of if you want it to be categorized as a memoir or not, there are no specific rules- just do what you feel is best, and if you're unhappy with it, you can always change whatever you need to throughout the editing process.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you already have an agent/publisher that really needs it written a certain way, I'd say just go with what makes you feel comfortable. At the end of the day, it is your work and it is your book, and regardless of if you want it to be categorized as a memoir or not, there are no specific rules- just do what you feel is best, and if you're unhappy with it, you can always change whatever you need to throughout the editing process.

The thing is, there are specific rules.

It's possible to get away with breaking them on occasion, but just because you feel comfortable isn't likely to be one of the ways to do that.

Most all nonfic is queried by proposal. Sending just a query isn't going to work because there are specific rules. If it's the most amazing, compelling query ever, or something that is a guaranteed sell - 'I'm writing to see if you might be interested in representing my memoir, 'Man, Did I Fuck Up.' Thank you, G.W. Bush,' - it's less likely you need to follow the specific rules.

Otherwise, sending out stuff that doesn't hone to general guidelines is just going to burn bridges there's no need to burn.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As difficult as it is to write a nf proposal, the others are correct. You need to write one for this book. Nonfiction is just different, and you definitely want to give them what they are looking for and follow submission requirements. Check everything they ask for- every word is there for a reason.

I would suggest finding a template/list of required elements that either the agent (or publisher if subbing directly for whatever reason) lists in their submission requirements. You might even find one from a book with a similar format somewhere online, or one from one of a particular agent/publisher's successful authors (sometimes you can find sample proposals from authors). If nothing else, google nonfiction proposals or buy a book on writing proposals.

I looked around at several books and online samples in order to really understand how to create one, so that might help you feel better too.

And also, I am almost done with my final chapters of a nonfiction book. I have a specialized small list of publishers in mind, but unlike most, they do require the book already be written (at least one of the publishers does). This is academic nonfiction, and these publishers are the "go to" places for this field, so I intend to submit a proposal, but following their guidelines, submit after the book is written.

Which means, while I expect to be finished with my complete first draft shortly (and I am already editing written parts too), I then will continue editing, and writing the proposal, as I also edit my work.

So, this is the first time I have done it in reverse like this (instead of writing the proposal first). I am actually feeling like it will be easier, because I already know the structure, chapter titles, flow, etc. If I think about it, in a way, I already wrote the proposal outline at the start, when I planned where I was going, but it changed as I wrote. I think that is part of the reason publishers often want just a proposal and sample chapters, because they often want to help shape it. But, on this side of things, it is already shaped to a form (still, expect to be asked to re-shape or add/subtract by a publisher, just be ready for that- and this is in addition to many edits after it is accepted for publication and before it is actually published).

My point is that it may be difficult fitting your book into a proposal due to your unique book type, but in general this reverse order may be a good way to write your first nf proposal, looking at what it already is and then explaining/outlining it per format requested (or at least, I think so- I will find out as I do it in this reverse order soon, I hope).

Best wishes on your proposal writing!

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Paula, I have a very similar to yours project I am working on and have been wondering the same question. I read in various other sources that memoirs are queried as fiction -- that is with no proposal and with a similar to fiction query. Also for a memoir, agents/publishers want a finished book like with fiction. So if you think your book is a memoir, then I guess you query as you would a novel.

I also participated in #askagent on Twitter and asked a question about query for humorous essays. This particular agent said "query as non-fiction essays". Not quite sure what that query would look like but was planning to search around.

Book Fiend

Registered
Reaction score
Paula,
Noah Lukeman, who is an agent, has a free book on his blog. Part of the book is on query letters. I've read it and it said to treat a memoir like a work of fiction when querying- in other words it should be complete and not submitted as a proposal, and other stuff.

Here's the link for the book:
http://www.writeagreatquery.com/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It will depend on what the agent/publisher you are approaching wants. Sometimes that is a proposal even for memoir, which this book may or may not be submitted as. IMHO it sounds more like humor non-fiction.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You DO need a proposal for memoir. Of the four agents who have requested more material for mine, all but one have asked for a proposal. Many agents who take memoir require a proposal with the query package.

You ALSO need a completed manuscript...unless you're famous.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
For non-fiction, there's simply no way around the proposal. The proposal is your calling card, where you make the case not only for your book, but for your market, your platform, and for yourself ("Why am I the best person to write this?")

Generally, you'll also have to describe both competing and complementary titles, and include -- to the extent possible -- an outline (or, better, a chapter-by-chapter summary) of your book. If it's already written and can attach sample chapters, do that, too.

My mouth hung open with awe when I read that veinglory's longest proposal was only three pages! I write biography, and my shortest proposal was 34 pages, while my longest hit 70.

I find the proposal EXTREMELY useful, so don't take the task lightly. It's work, but worth it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you guys help me figure this out? Is it a memoir?
It could be packaged as one, but you're describing a simple collection of essays. Probably one of the hardest sells in all of bookdom. You might want to rethink your work before you start pitching it. Unless you have other selling points, like your father is King of Zanzibar or you are the reigning world ping-pong champion, it's the kind of book that is tough to find a readership for.

Jeff