Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Two bits of braggage:

My team completed our 'book-in-a-day' story yesterday - a marathon effort but fantastic fun, and for a good cause. It was amazing working with a group of writers and illustrators to a tight deadline, with very little time to revise, and produce an actual book (10,000 words for 11-14yr olds). I've written about the experience on my blog. :D

And the next day, I found that my story, 'Communion', has been accepted at Stupefying Stories! Thanks everyone here who beta read this longer story for me!

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
And the next day, I found that my story, 'Communion', has been accepted at Stupefying Stories! Thanks everyone here who beta read this longer story for me!
Congrats on both accounts, that's awesome! I believe I was part of that everyone! Very much looking forward to reading the final draft. :D

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Two bits of braggage:

My team completed our 'book-in-a-day' story yesterday - a marathon effort but fantastic fun, and for a good cause. It was amazing working with a group of writers and illustrators to a tight deadline, with very little time to revise, and produce an actual book (10,000 words for 11-14yr olds). I've written about the experience on my blog. :D

Yea to both! :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on both accounts, that's awesome! I believe I was part of that everyone! Very much looking forward to reading the final draft. :D

You certainly were a part of it! Also, Liz, Project Deadlight and Defcon - though it was a while ago now, so they may have forgotten. :) I think 'Communion' had the most rewrites of any of my stories so far, and I was learning a lot as I went. I had a major technical problem to solve, which I did solve in the end (the solution, to do with POV, seemed so obvious once it was written), plus it kept wanting to turn into a novel... which it might still do one day. Very happy it's found a good home!

Last edited:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, oh, I do remember it, Fiona!
Congrats also for the 2 story placementsnby Randi. (It's always nice for us if we know the markets and days out, in case any of us have subs to the same place.)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to all the good news! I'm way behind on my reading and hope to catch up soon with the free stories people have posted. Keep it up!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sold "Worldbuilding" to Daily Science Fiction today. 21 days to the round 2 bump and only 2 more days after that to a sale. Excited!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Alex! They got a lot of love for you there! If you don't mind me asking, do you include references to your previous sales in your cover letter to DSF, or just go with the blank cover letter option?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and congrats on another DSF sale Alex! Looking forward to reading it!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Sold "Worldbuilding" to Daily Science Fiction today. 21 days to the round 2 bump and only 2 more days after that to a sale. Excited!

Congratulations! I loved that story. (I read it, right? Or am I thinking of an already published one about literal worldbuilding??)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Alex! They got a lot of love for you there! If you don't mind me asking, do you include references to your previous sales in your cover letter to DSF, or just go with the blank cover letter option?

Thanks, everyone! This is my sixth story at DSF. When I get to 10, I'm going to ask for a free sub! :)

Sam: I don't, anymore. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but after interacting with Jonathan so many times via e-mail including credits seems kind of impersonal. They already know me, anyway.

Liz: I don't *think* you critiqued this one for me, but I'm not 100% sure... It's told through a dialog between a novelist and his editor and it makes fun of the common SF tropes. Does that ring a bell?

The conventional wisdom is that writing stories about writers/writing is very much overdone, a bad idea, and they're supposed to be difficult-as-hell to sell. So I am doubly pleased to have beaten the odds :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! This is my sixth story at DSF. When I get to 10, I'm going to ask for a free sub! :)

Sam: I don't, anymore. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but after interacting with Jonathan so many times via e-mail including credits seems kind of impersonal. They already know me, anyway.

Liz: I don't *think* you critiqued this one for me, but I'm not 100% sure... It's told through a dialog between a novelist and his editor and it makes fun of the common SF tropes. Does that ring a bell?

The conventional wisdom is that writing stories about writers/writing is very much overdone, a bad idea, and they're supposed to be difficult-as-hell to sell. So I am doubly pleased to have beaten the odds :)

Ah, no, that's not the one I was thinking of. I believe I was thinking of one already published that I read about the world being created.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, no, that's not the one I was thinking of. I believe I was thinking of one already published that I read about the world being created.

Might've been "Putting it All Together?" It was recently podcast on Toasted Cake.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Just checked and the WotF blog is updated - I can spill the beans.
2nd place!!!

So freaking excited!!! First SFWA sale (and yes, I plan to run out and get my Associate Membership right away) but really, really excited about the workshop and all that comes with this. Found out yesterday at work, and am still a bit giddy.

(This calls for 3 dancing Snoopy's) :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Oh - almost forgot the big shout out to W1S1! This story was written last fall as my monthly W1S1 commitment and 3 of my 4 beta readers were from here - so a huge thanks to Fihr, Marziolli and to Cory/Plunderpuss, who drops in from time to time - and to this forum in general. (Sounds like I'm practicing my speech already :) ).

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Liz, I saw the news in my Duotrope feed and made a beeline for this thread. That's just so freakin' awesome! Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.