Memoirs and Autobios: Under what circumstances do you change the names?

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
As author of a memoir or autobiographical account I hope to see published, under what circumstances should I consider changing the real names to aliases?

• always?

• only when the book covers bedroom or boardroom behavior that would reflect rather badly on the actual person and you wish to avoid that occurring, and only for those specific characters?

• any time a non-public-figure real person has not authorized the author to write about them using their real name?

• never or as close to never as possible because publishers dont' like it when you change the names?

• I should cease asking you and ask an attorney or something?

I have two tomes I'm flogging. One of them includes non-mainstream sex acts that took place between me and another person, the events being central to the storyline, the real person involved probably not wishing their name associated with that behavior, so I changed the names. (Comments?) The other one involves several college professors and some heads of non-huge organizations, and they are quoted and their behaviors are central to the storyline, and their behaviors as described do not paint them in the best of light, but I did not as of yet change the names. (Comments?)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As author of a memoir or autobiographical account I hope to see published, under what circumstances should I consider changing the real names to aliases?

• always?

• only when the book covers bedroom or boardroom behavior that would reflect rather badly on the actual person and you wish to avoid that occurring, and only for those specific characters?

• any time a non-public-figure real person has not authorized the author to write about them using their real name?

• never or as close to never as possible because publishers dont' like it when you change the names?

• I should cease asking you and ask an attorney or something?

I have two tomes I'm flogging. One of them includes non-mainstream sex acts that took place between me and another person, the events being central to the storyline, the real person involved probably not wishing their name associated with that behavior, so I changed the names. (Comments?) The other one involves several college professors and some heads of non-huge organizations, and they are quoted and their behaviors are central to the storyline, and their behaviors as described do not paint them in the best of light, but I did not as of yet change the names. (Comments?)

Hold up - you're quoting people. Presumably they agreed to be quoted, no?

In a general sense to all of this, you definitely need a lawyer because it sounds as if you're under the impression that changing names protects you from potential libel suits. That's not at all the case.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

• always? not necessarily

• only when the book covers bedroom or boardroom behavior that would reflect rather badly on the actual person and you wish to avoid that occurring, and only for those specific characters? those would be good times to do it

• any time a non-public-figure real person has not authorized the author to write about them using their real name? usually yes

• I should cease asking you and ask an attorney or something? it'd be a good idea

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Definitely change the names in the first one. You probably won't need to change anything else unless the person's unusual in some noticeable way and you've told about that.

The second case: I'm guessing you will not only need to change the names, but also details like the names of the organizations in order for this to pass muster. I'd get a lawyer for this one.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of nonfiction books that use the real names and statements of famous and non-famous people without their permission. Check out books on the Current Affairs shelf of any bookstore. News reporters do this all the time, as well.

Without knowing more details about what you're writing, however, it's quite impossible for us to give you relevant advice. Consult an attorney.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
Let me re-ask the question this way: is there any disadvantage to simply changing the names? I somehow got worried that agents and publishers might prefer works with the real names, although I'm not sure where I got that notion from.

If that's not a consideration, I'll just change the names.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Let me re-ask the question this way: is there any disadvantage to simply changing the names? I somehow got worried that agents and publishers might prefer works with the real names, although I'm not sure where I got that notion from.

If that's not a consideration, I'll just change the names.

There's no point to it - if it's actionable, changing the names won't help you. If it's not, why do it?

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
The people in the story are not public figures. People who know them will not likely recognize them from some story that uses other names for them. Hence, changing the names prevents embarrassment.

If a person who recognizes themselves became incensed that I had told a story in which I had changed the names, well, the events themselves happened and for them to sue me would, I'd think, draw more attention to them than a printed story that doesn't mention them by name ever would.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
If a person who recognizes themselves became incensed that I had told a story in which I had changed the names, well, the events themselves happened and for them to sue me would, I'd think, draw more attention to them than a printed story that doesn't mention them by name ever would.

Something to think about, if you tell a hateful story aimed at your best friend named Bob but you change Bob's name to John, Bob doesn't actually have any reason to sue you directly because of that name change. For all he knows you actually could be referring to a best friend named John. The actions may fit but the name obviously does not and that's why it's recommended to change the names in the first place, for that protection.

Edit: Now that I reread your post a couple times, I should've directed this toward cornflake. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
For my answer, I change names if I either don't have permission directly from them to talk about them or if I have anything bad to say about that person. If all I have to say are good things then there would be no reason for me to actually change a name.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Something to think about, if you tell a hateful story aimed at your best friend named Bob but you change Bob's name to John, Bob doesn't actually have any reason to sue you directly because of that name change. For all he knows you actually could be referring to a best friend named John. The actions may fit but the name obviously does not and that's why it's recommended to change the names in the first place, for that protection.

Edit: Now that I reread your post a couple times, I should've directed this toward cornflake. Sorry about that!

Changing names doesn't protect you from litigation like that, at all. If you're writing about Bob and Bob can show it's him based on x, y, z, 'but I said the guy's name was John,' doesn't work as a defense.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Changing names doesn't protect you from litigation like that, at all. If you're writing about Bob and Bob can show it's him based on x, y, z, 'but I said the guy's name was John,' doesn't work as a defense.

I still disagree completely but I don't see a point in arguing in this case.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the person is identifiable by other features, changing the name is indeed no defense.

But I can see a middle ground where you don't want to add your book to their immediate online footprint, so you use a different name--but there is no real attempt to pretend it is not them.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I'm not too concerned that someone will

a) recognize themselves as a character in my book that's been given another name;

b) get mad; and

c) sue me or something

The stakes are too trivial for that to be a worrisome probability. I could perhaps imagine getting a letter with something akin to "Who do you think you're kidding, OH, and btw, that's not how it happened, you left out the part where you acted like more of a jerk than you portrayed, and you left out this and that which totally excuse my own behavior in those days".

I am fully aware that anyone can sue anyone for anything. So I am not claiming that no one could. Of course they could.

Mostly I want to minimize the likelihood of making them irate. If my book is never brought to their attention so as to cause them to realize they've been described in it, good. If they do read it and realize they've been described in it but don't feel like it is transparently un-ignorably them and that all their colleagues would know it was them, also good.

Changing the names won't make lit agents and publishing companies much less likely to be interested in it, insofar as none of us are name-brand recognizable-calibre persons whose names as book-topics would sell the book?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Changing names is acceptable practice, which seems to be your worry. It's changing major stuff that makes agents/editors back off.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you listen to Cornflake and Veinglory. They are telling you correctly.

It may seem like trivial stakes to you (from your post), but the ones mentioned may not feel that way. It would not take much for a defamation lawsuit, unless you have verifiable documentation or proof of what you say.

The tone of your reply indicates (to me) you are leaning towards "as is" type of writing. I fear you do not realize the potential consequences.

That is part of what we do here, trying to give people the benefit of our experience, without the person having to learn it the hard way.

As I would tell anyone, do your research and make your decision. It is a well-worn cliche, but hindsight is indeed 20-20.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

He can, and probably will, still sue. A name change means nothing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If yu needed permission to quote anyone, or if you needed permission to use real names, the memoir and autobiography shelves would be empty. Yu don't really think writers track down every person they ever knew in order to get permission, do you? It's YOUR life story, and this means you have every right to write it, and to include everyone and everything you're ever encountered.

Just tell the truth, and you have nothing to worry about.

Inmydreams

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind if I jump in here. This question is something I've pondered and instead of starting a new thread on the same subject I thought I'd attach it here.

I understand that anyone can sue anyone. That's a given.

I am writing a memoir myself that includes family members, all of whom are either deceased or agree that I can change their names for privacy reasons.

However, there are a few incidences where there are other people, more like extras or witnesses to an event and I feel like their presence is crucial to the story.

These events happened over 30 years ago. I no longer have contact with these people and I'm not even sure if they are still alive.

What I am writing is no way defamatory to them but instead of writing something like: Friend #1 did this and Friend #2 did that, it just seems that the story would flow better by using a fictitious name for the sake of their privacy and the fact that I cannot contact them.

I am not arguing the point that there is a possibility of a law suit, but it seems trivial, at least in my circumstance. There is nothing I intend to write that would cause anyone injury but since I cannot contact these people for permission to use their names, I have decided to use different names.

Do you wise people think even this would be a problem?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are using changed names for main players why not just do the same for everyone? If you feel there is no problem with mentioning them, mentioning them under 'thing 1 and 2' is just going to be jarring to the reader.

Inmydreams

Registered
Reaction score
If you are using changed names for main players why not just do the same for everyone? If you feel there is no problem with mentioning them, mentioning them under 'thing 1 and 2' is just going to be jarring to the reader.

Haha. No I wasn't going to call them thing 1 and thing 2, but I was going to change the names of everyone.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That's what I did: if I couldn't contact them, I changed the names. The exception was for teachers, because teachers are public figures and anyone who had been there would know the names were wrong.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

tatygirl90

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking I would use an alias for people that were in a hospital with me in order to protect their privacy but then again their names are pretty common and I never knew so perhaps not?

I guess I mean I would use an alias to protect that person's privacy in case they didn't want anyone to know they had in inpatient stay in a psychiatric hospital.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great topic.

In my book on school bullying I've used a number of case studies. Not only is it illegal here to publish the names of children under the age of 18 (so I created aliases), but I thought it best to also change the circumstances around so that nobody could recognize the school either.

After reading this thread, I'm now a little worried. I don't want to get sued but I do believe it would be difficult for someone to say, "Oh, that's so-and-so and xyz school."

I can't see what else I can do. The case studies are important.