Permission - complicated? (moved from Christian)

resetpreacher

Registered
Reaction score
In writing my first (non-fiction) book, I am discovering the difficulties of permissions. I am wanting to use a summary of an article by one author in the introduction of another author’s book. I have contacted the publisher. But my questions are:
1. Did the book author need permission from the publisher of the article? How about from the author of the article (In this case he is deceased, so his estate)? 2. If so, will I need them for my book?
3. Do you need permission to summarize something you read and publish it? What if specific details are eliminated? Can you say "I read an article this morning about a young woman who" - do you need permissions anyway?
Sometimes, I find it pretty hard to even ask (e.g. old posting in forums).

I've read several articles on permissions, but haven't found anything on these questions. Advise?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
You need permission to use someone else's words because that's a question of copyright.

In general, if you are summarizing someone else's argument, you need to cite it correctly, but you don't need permission. Especially not if you're summarising for the purpose of critique. In my opinion it would be worse to leave out the specific details because then the reader has no way to track down the original article. If you're summarising it, the reader ought to be able to check your summary against the original to see whether your summary is fair and accurate.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are really summarizing every salient detail of an article that strays back into an area where permission may sometimes needed. If it is you need it certainly from the author, possibly also from the publisher if they currently hold exclusive rights. I would always start with the author.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Moving this to to the Nonfiction room because it's specific to general mechanics of NF. You'll get better answers there.

Please move your trays to their upright and locked position. Check that all carry-ons are securely stowed.

ETA: We've landed. Thank you for flying AW Air.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If all you are writing is paraphrasing, you're in trouble. If it's a small portion of what you're writing, you summarize the salient points and cite everything correctly. (Use a style manual, such as The Chicago Manual of Style, for how to do that.) It would be polite to get permission from the original author if possible or that author's estate.
However, people will no doubt come by and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think paraphrasing is okay as long as it's comparatively short and properly cited.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

resetpreacher

Registered
Reaction score
Permissions - complicated?

Thanks for the answers and the redirection to nonfiction. What specifically I am talking about is a short story. But I am wanting to work out the principles of permission for testimonies as well. I also may want to reference a scene or character in a movie. I appreciate proper direction before I get myself in trouble. :{)}

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am confused. The "article" is a fictional short story? Or the short story includes a summary of a nonfiction article?

resetpreacher

Registered
Reaction score
Permission - complicated?

Sorry for the confusion. The original article is a fictional short story, but the summary of this story I'm wanting to use is from a non-fiction. I am also writing a non-fiction. Now you may get why permission gets complicated.