Memoir - proposal or query?

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
So confusing...

Unlike other nonfiction books (self help, how to's), I have read over and over that a Memoir should be "completed" before submitted to an agent. That they are treated as fiction.

Yet, agents still want a proposal ?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, the target Agent's stated requirements, if any, should be followed.

The purpose of a Query Letter is solely to have the Agent ask for the manuscript- it's the time for brevity and clarity, not the opportunity to ramble on about all the characters and story or all the ills that have befallen one.

Our Query Letter will most likely be one of a stack in the Agent's in-tray from total strangers - and unless we've written a darned good focused Query Letter ours will be in the reject tray within a minute or less.

In the final analysis if the memoir is complete and the Query letter route is followed, it all depends upon what is in the Query Letter and memoirs are a very hard sell unless one is a celebrity or has a really truly unique and unusual experience to relate. Tales of overcoming abuse, for example, are legion.

The Agent is obviously looking for a memoir with a target audience and that he thinks he can successfully sell to a publisher - and that will be what he wants to see in the Query letter. The Agent is not going to dwell on the contents of any Query letter if they don't immediately catch and hold his attention.

A novel is deliberately written with interesting characters in manufactured situations designed to thrill and appeal to a wide range of readers and can be doctored with that in mind. A memoir that by definition is based on reality doesn't have the same flexibility and if it's basically interesting only to whoever wrote it plus their friends and family that is going to be pretty obvious fairly quickly.

Good luck. There are many here far more experienced than I in the Memoir department and I'm sure someone else will respond shortly.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"-a Sikh greeting)

Yep. You need both a completed ms and a proposal. Some agents ask for them at the query stage. All but one of the agents who have asked for more material from me have asked for a proposal. So, be forearmed, learn about them, and have one ready.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
Over time I've found it necessary/useful to have all of the following prepared (or a scripted routine for rapidly generating them); for any given agent, the items sent may include different combinations of them:

Query letter
Synopsis with chapter titles
About the Author blurb
Full Proposal
Full Proposal with 1 Sample Chapter
Full Proposal with 2 Sample Chapters
Full Proposal with 3 Sample Chapters
Full Proposal with 1st 5 pages
Full Proposal with 1st 10 pages
Full Proposal with 1st 25 pages
Full Proposal with 1st 50 pages
Separate Review of Comparable Titles (normally part of Full Proposal)
Separate Plan for Marketing & Publicizing (normally part of Full Proposal)
Separate Analysis of the Target Audience (normally part of Full Proposal)
Separate CV of Your Prior Publications (normally part of About the Author blurb)

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely see what the agent asks for. In my case they all wanted a query letter. Some also asked for a synopsis, chapters etc.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Memoirs are a somewhat unique genre. This is one nonfiction area where having a manuscript finished can be a bonus. For most agents I know who rep memoirs, you will need both a good synopsis as well as a good sample, plus a solid reason why you are the one to write this and why your memoir has a broad appeal.

Having an existing platform is another plus. You don't need to have a blog or the like, but a public speaking tour, a degree, a job related to the memoir or the like is extremely helpful. It's even better if your story has a national/international appeal.

But memoirs can have none of those and still sell. For that you need a talented agent who believes in you and your story. And the ability to make them care.

Jeff

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And if you can't find an agent, don't worry. You can self-publish. I've been having good success with mine.

It's a little more leg work, because everything is on your shoulders, but it can be done!