The art of blending fact and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

After a very long time away I'm back, with a (first round) complete story and I'm now at work on edits. I have a couple of questions relating to the art of blending fact and fiction.

The first relates to the timeline. There are two recent real life events which I would like to include as they seem to fit my theme and would anchor the story to a real time and place. The first is the death of a cricketer while playing and the subsequent social media campaign to display cricket bats at the front doors of homes, cafes etc. The second is the hold up of the Lindt Cafe in Sydney by a man who had been given refugee status some years earlier. These two events, in real life were separated by only a couple of weeks. In my novel it needs to be more like a couple of months for the rest of the timeline to work (FMC to go from pregnant to heavily pregnant, MMC to descend into madness). Is this OK? If you are Australian, would this manipulation of real events bother you?

The second is somewhat similar. I want to set the story in an Australian city, and in a Women's Hospital. However, since I potentially have a serial killer on staff of my imaginary hospital, I need to make it pretty clear that I am not basing it on one of our fine establishments. I could make the entire city imaginary but I think it adds something if my characters can catch ferries and go to the blue mountains for the weekend or can catch a tram and go to the footy. Any tips?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
For the second, I'd just forgo identifying the city by name. For the first, that would really bother me.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
You could fictionalize one or both of the events. I'm not Australian, but I would send the book flying if you used real-life events and changed the timeline.

Unless you portray the hospital itself in a negative light (like, they suspected the character was a serial killer and turned a blind eye), I don't see that using a real setting would be a problem. I'm not familiar with Australian law, though, so maybe you should ask a professional about that.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
The first: If someone knows the real facts and you either accidentally represent bad facts or twist them, it's going to turn them off. This is especially easy to spot if it's news of the last few years. I'd opt to either keep the correct facts and timeline, or make up my own.

The second: If there's no purpose to use a real city, make your own. If there is a purpose, make your own hospital up or don't name one.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If I caught your change, I'd stop reading right then and there. The best rule is to change your story to fit the historical facts, not to change the historical facts to fit your story.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
As an Australian, I already can't remember how long ago Phil Hughes died. Three months? (I checked - 6 weeks. Well I never.)

However, you're using them to illustrate the passage of time. If that's their purpose, I think you need to use their actual timeline, or risk muddying the timeframe even further. I'd be more likely to think, "Wow, that pregnancy passed really quickly - is that right? She should only be six months pregnant by now ..." than to pick up on the timeline having been altered.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
If the important thing is to show the passage of time, why use those particular events, when they don't actually fit your needs?

If the events themselves are what's important, for illustrating some theme or other, then make some up. In a few years no one is going to remember the real ones anyway.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Well that was a good question to ask. Thanks for the responses.
Consistent answers, and pretty much the opposite of what I had intended to do. My thoughts were that it would be ok because, like Anna Spargo Ryan, I couldn't remember exactly when the first event occurred, it was only through google that I realised how close they actually were.

It wasn't so much about creating a timeline, as improving the setting. Unfortunately it doesn't fit with my story's timeline and that can't be sped up because of the whole pregnancy thing. I really like the social media campaigns that occurred with both these events #putoutyourbats and #illridewith you, but I can probably use the first, and then make up something different to replace the second one.

In defiance of what others have suggested I don't want to make up a generic anytime/anyplace town. I really like a novel that transports me somewhere and I think setting should be as vibrant as character. If I pick bits and pieces from both Sydney and Melbourne to create a new town, such as having a person take the tram to the harbour instead of the bay, both Sydneysiders and Melbournians will say I've got it wrong. If I make it completely generic, and have my character instead take a bus to a shopping mall, it loses all its colour. I think I will just reduce our three big hospitals to one and make sure it doesn't come out sounding like any one of them in particular.

So far it is probably fitting mostly into a psychological thriller type book. So maybe setting is less important than keeping the story moving. What do you think? Do you notice the setting of books, or do good characters and a fast-paced story mean setting doesn't really matter?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There's a third possibility for the setting, which is to set it in a real town that doesn't have a big hospital. That way you get the vibrancy and colour of an authentic setting without the pesky issue of using an existing institution.

What about one of those regional towns that rarely gets a guernsey in Australian writing?

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. The country. I've heard of that. Never been there. Despite the cricketing hall of fame. Do women have babies out there?

Actually, that could work. That could definitely work. A little rejigging, but I've been wondering why she doesn't just change hospitals to avoid the potential killer and being in a regional location would certainly limit her choices. Thanks!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
In defiance of what others have suggested I don't want to make up a generic anytime/anyplace town. I really like a novel that transports me somewhere and I think setting should be as vibrant as character. If I pick bits and pieces from both Sydney and Melbourne to create a new town, such as having a person take the tram to the harbour instead of the bay, both Sydneysiders and Melbournians will say I've got it wrong. If I make it completely generic, and have my character instead take a bus to a shopping mall, it loses all its colour. I think I will just reduce our three big hospitals to one and make sure it doesn't come out sounding like any one of them in particular.

r?

If you create a good, believable, fictional town, no one will say you got it wrong. Many of the best writers out there use fictional towns. There is no reason at all to make a fictional town generic, or to make it so blatantly from pieces of other towns that readers will see you got it wrong.

Setting is incredibly important. A good, realistic, detailed, vibrant setting can sell a story that otherwise would be rejected, but many of the best novels with setting like this use completely fictional towns, made wonderful through the writer's imagination.

Williams Faulkner even used an entire fictional county, and still made readers believe it. Stephen King uses a fictional setting for a great many of his stories. John D. MacDonald set his wonderful Travis McGee stories in a fictional city that people still try to go visit.

A fictional town lets you use your imagination, lets you make the setting as real, as vibrant, as colorful as any real city, and also means no one will say you got anything wrong.

You anchor this fictional town by the real events that happen in the real towns and cities and countryside around it. You have real people, real rock bands, or real politicians, come visit the town to perform, or to give a speech.

The trouble with using a real place is that you'd better get it right. Most will not spot a mistake, but all it takes is one reviewer seeing it, and then everyone will know.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
This is something I'm interested in doing for the prequels involving my one character whom I've just recently decided is nearly 2000 year old. Personally, I find that coming up with ways to work around actual history ends up making the story a lot more interesting in the end.

With the work I'm doing from the beginning (around 240 AD) & the end (1330 AD) it almost feels like I never would've been able to make the story as good as it's turning out in my head without the push to get creative enough for my story to fit into historical context.

As for the second thing, don't be worried about using real places. I really don't think anyone is going to care. As far as I know Australia isn't all that much different law-wise from the UK & they're pretty lenient. Not the most lenient in Europe, but I doubt anyone is going to consider that you ruined business for a hospital or restaurant because a fictional assassin penetrated their midst.

Personally, I used a fictional city, but only because I felt I didn't know enough about the actual area. It ended up being somewhere vaguely between Cincinnati, Chillicothe & Gallipolis with a name that, ironically, turns out to be a state park in the general area. The only thing that's right about it is I wanted a giant concrete wall or cliff riverside because I liked the imagery. As it turns out, there actually is a sixty foot high wall along the Ohio around there because of a massive flood in the 30s. Go figure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.