March 2012 Western Prompt

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
First draft done - just about 2700 words ... and I have some details missing (like location).

To be nice and give the western contest as much room as possible, I don't plan to post the mystery story until about the 15th - even though I'm chomping at the bit for comments. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First draft done - just about 2700 words ... and I have some details missing (like location).

To be nice and give the western contest as much room as possible, I don't plan to post the mystery story until about the 15th - even though I'm chomping at the bit for comments. Puma

No need to be nice, Puma. :)

The idea is the two things working together. Hopefully people engaged in the contest will take a look and get involved with the next prompt and its entries. This has always been the idea. Get the genre noticed and capitalize on it for the good of the genre, the people who get turned on to it and the people already turned on to it.

I think people giving the Hillerman prompt (or just giving the idea of the March prompt) a go, should post when they like. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Gots to get my location figured out first. Although, I'm actually thinking about making it a fictional location - trying to be accurate is giving me fits. Puma

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
One of the other problems is finding a city in New Mexico large enough to have a detective bureau. I don't think using a fictitious city would be a good idea for this contest. Sort of odd going from my local metropolitan area with a population of about a million to a state where the capital only has a population of about 70,000, and is the fourth largest city in the state. Puma

I had a look at the Hillerman site - do we have to write about a detective bureau? I wasn't getting that feel.

A also strayed a bit from the brutal murder/crime thing and went a little bit Poe-ish. I may have disqualified myself by doing so. Ah well, it's all good fun. I think I'll just post the thing in SYW and see what the squirrels have to say.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion, Toffee (not saying that I know much), is that you're fine with your Indian - actually possibly better off than someone using a more modern approach. I like your story. It needs some more work and smoothing, but it has a lot of charm. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've started a couple for the March/Hillerman nothing solid yet -- but the style is percolating. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of ideas I like, but I won't know which one to choose or the story that wants telling until I've completed my research. Typical of me to pick two of the most obscure character types with little information readily available. It's out there; I just have to find it. :)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm up past my saddlebags with the March prompt for my local writing group (due March 17th). The topic is to take an old story and retell it in modern times. The other members of the group should be able to guess what the original story is. I'm about 2/3 of the way finished and want to end strong.

How are prompts offered for future months? Do I send an idea via PM to someone?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Archerjoe - I just bumped the western writing prompts thread back up here to the top of the page. That's where we've been discussing and selecting who gets to pick the prompts for what months. So, if you have a suggestion, that's where to post it. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Posted my New Mexican mystery this morning for the March prompt. Have at it. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, March is basically over and tomorrow I will ask the mods to unsticky this thread. We did get a couple western mysteries posted in SYW and I think we made a couple more people aware of the Hillerman contests, which was the object. So ... on to April. Puma