The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
DreamWeaver said:
I clicked through about three pages to get to the down-and-dirty Rapid Review Page. Guess what? Only costs $115...
This brings to mind the words of the immortal W.C. Fields: "Never give a sucker an even break."

--Ken (who is at this point considering starting his own pay-to-play 'review' service; how bad can the ethical problem be, really ...)

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Sher2 said:
Mah deah Picklah, if you can't even drive the plane for being overcome by Pickleshine fumes and such, how in Gawd's name are you going to save the world from the evil doins' of Poz?! We in a heap o' trouble now.;)
Sherry Sherry. The Mightly Pickler also stated that he needs a partner to help when he's overcome by things like Pickleshine fumes.

So come on people, we're writers here right? Give The Mightly Pickler more the eight essays to pick from. I believe the contest has one day left. Lets fill up the this http://lindadroberts.tripod.com/id12.html page with entries. Make it difficult on The Mightly Pickler.

Plus if we have lots of entries you get me to shut up, and make both The Mightly Pickler and Linda happy campers. :D

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Wow, has everyone checked out the book covers people are doing for Atlanta Nights? Amazing! What a wonderful amount of talented people we have here!BRAVO! :Clap: Who are the judges? My offer still stands for the contest. I don't remember seeing a comment on it but then I may not have gone back that far on the post:popcorn:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Wow, has everyone checked out the book covers people are doing for Atlanta Nights? Amazing! What a wonderful amount of talented people we have here!BRAVO! :Clap: Who are the judges? My offer still stands for the contest. I don't remember seeing a comment on it but then I may not have gone back that far on the post:popcorn:
They really are fabulous. Every single one of them is just 'da bomb and deserving of big kudos.:Clap:

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
ByGrace?

If ByGrace is still out there, I wish she would post her experience with the "new contract." She realized what it really was, refused to sign it, and was released by PA!

Your "testimony" would be helpful, ByGrace. Are you still with us?

Nancy

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Dolan said:
It was (hard to speak while foaming at the mouth) PA editor Sherry, who butchered my book!

I will stand with this statement. My book was butchered. I have all of the correspondence between us. Long, long lists of errors.

I praised her at the time to keep our relationship on an even keel but she killed my book.

Sue me Sherry. Please.
Dang, Dolan, I saw my name and the words "foaming at the mouth" and almost had a small palpitation. I thought you were still mad over the hopscotch thing.:roll:

My book underwent some butchering, too. Not, apparently, as bad as yours. Stipid, stipid Sherry, giving Sherrys everywhere a bad name. She ought to be ashamed, except that the word "shame" is nowhere to be found in the PerniciousAzzhats lexicon.

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
A1 Books

lizziepants said:
Who knows, I mean, I know it'd be perfectly legal for me to go out and buy Zaz's book (which I'm reading) and then to put it on Ebay -- somewhere in there you'd think in good faith we'd be paid on the sale, right? Suuuuuuuuure. .

Oh the enlightenment of rampant sex and drug use in an office setting. Wise choice on your current read. Wish I'd made the same with the publisher. Blah cubed.

Dig the cost of my book now that it's listed ebay-style. $17.84 + $4.95 shipping. What a *hoo-HAW*-uckin' steal that is! (A1 Books. Making knowledge affordable) Yeah, and my liver thumps from a strict diet of tofu and artesian water.

And, there are 101 available. Pshaw!

'tis to laugh.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Dolan said:
It was (hard to speak while foaming at the mouth) PA editor Sherry, who butchered my book!

I will stand with this statement. My book was butchered. I have all of the correspondence between us. Long, long lists of errors.

I praised her at the time to keep our relationship on an even keel but she killed my book.

Sue me Sherry. Please.

Meybe it needed killin'. Sorry, I am so NOT serious about that, but that line from some movie popped into my head - 'he needed killin'.

Sigh. too much BIC makes Christine crazy. Need some fresh air.

Hey, anybody seen or heard from Kevin lately?? I miss him, and so does Purple.
Oh, yeah. PA sucks.

Last edited:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
DeePower said:
RE: contacts for PA

Any idea how many other people work for PA besides those listed? I didn't see names of one or two who worked on my own PubliSHAMEricabook. If they quit working for PA, I'd love to contact them and see how they're doing (and why they left).
wink.gif

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ann said:
It amazes me the "deals" that PA can come up with to keep the authors hanging on. I feel this author's excitement. I hope that her book is well written and errors free enough, that the PA blight doesn't pop her potential bubbles. http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11974.htm

from PAMB: PublishAmerica and the Veterans Administration are working on a deal to put my book (multiple copies) in every one of their canteens at every VA Hospital in the country!! Holy Cow, that is thousands of books!!!! PA, keep up the awesome work you guys do!!! B*** C*******, take your book and stand aside cause The O**** C******* of W** and Publish America are coming through!!!
I'm going to complain to my congressman! Poorly edited PA books in VA hospitals can make a person sick not get well!
tongue.gif

Seriously, I doubt if PA has done diddly to help this author. She is obviously in denial as to who is doing all the work involved--the author herself. Sad to say, but she may be "another PA casualty" when one day she wakes up and finds that she could have earned better royalties and sold many, many more copies through a legitimate publisher.

Last edited:

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
New Contract

JennaGlatzer said:
ByGrace isn't here right now (not bad reasons). I hope she'll come back in a little while.

Thanks, Jenna.

I'll try to explain what I know. The new "non-exclusive" contract, according to an attorney consulted by one PA author, is even more binding. It is not author friendly, nor standard by industry practices. This PA author decided not to sign. The letter that accompanied her new contract stated that if she did not sign, PA would terminate her previous contracts. She refused to sign. She was released.

So, if you are offered this absurd "contract," refuse to sign it. You may be on the verge of freedom.

Nancy

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
T42 said:
Wow, has everyone checked out the book covers people are doing for Atlanta Nights? Amazing! What a wonderful amount of talented people we have here!BRAVO!
emoteClap.gif
Who are the judges? My offer still stands for the contest. I don't remember seeing a comment on it but then I may not have gone back that far on the post
smilepopcorn.gif

Will someone please post the link for the book cover contest again? I only saw the first entry and it was hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing the others.
emoteClap.gif

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
in this non-exclusive contract amendment thingy, is PA expecting to hold the rights for ANOTHER 7 years, plus tack on a gag?

Yes and they are trying to take all rights to the book -- movie, foreign, etc.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
M. Story said:
Will someone please post the link for the book cover contest again? I only saw the first entry and it was hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing the others.
emoteClap.gif
It's at the office party! I don't know the link...

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
NancyMehl said:
The letter that accompanied her new contract stated that if she did not sign, PA would terminate her previous contracts. She refused to sign. She was released.

Bravo for her!!! :Clap: When PA told her that her previous contracts would terminate if she didn't sign, I would have said, "and that's supposed to be a bad thing?" I'd be celebrating if I was her that she was released; she really dodged a bullet! :guns:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
NancyMehl said:
Thanks, Jenna.

I'll try to explain what I know. The new "non-exclusive" contract, according to an attorney consulted by one PA author, is even more binding. It is not author friendly, nor standard by industry practices. This PA author decided not to sign. The letter that accompanied her new contract stated that if she did not sign, PA would terminate her previous contracts. She refused to sign. She was released.

So, if you are offered this absurd "contract," refuse to sign it. You may be on the verge of freedom.

Nancy
Nancy, was she released without the odious gag/non-disparagement clause? I hope so! If she's completely free of the Evil Empire now, she is one lucky woman. :poke:

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Dolan said:

Sue me Sherry. Please.

She added, or allowed to be added, mistakes to mine as well, Dolan.

Here ya go non-editor Sherry. Two of us to sue. Your editing sucks as bad as the company you work for!

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
ResearchGuy said:
Nothing is impossible in government and politics. 'Nuff said.

Sure, anything's possible...but this is so unlikely. Does not pass the smell test. Also, I think the canteens at VA hospitals, like at most federal facilities, are operated by concessionaires and private companies.

If I'm wrong, I promise to make a donation of [real] books to a VA hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.