Openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I can't agree that the Sayers' line is beautifully crafted. It has way more words than it needs to convey its meaning.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I can't agree that the Sayers' line is beautifully crafted. It has way more words than it needs to convey its meaning.

I don't think those words detract from it, but I'm curious. How would you revise it?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think those words detract from it, but I'm curious. How would you revise it?

I already posted a possible revision that uses fewer words, but that may be its only merit! lol

Crimson roses lay on the bench like splashes of blood.

Shorter isn't necessarily better, and I certainly don't set myself up against Sayers in general.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I already posted a possible revision that uses fewer words, but that may be its only merit! lol

So you did. I missed that. Sorry!

Your version is smooth and definitely less wordy. It's a fine sentence in every way. But it also somehow changes the voice of those opening lines. The new version no longer quite fits with what follows, if you read the first few paragraphs of that story.

Which brings up a general point about voice and style versus current trends and reader expectations. Sometimes the two sides clash.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Your version is smooth and definitely less wordy. It's a fine sentence in every way. But it also somehow changes the voice of those opening lines. The new version no longer quite fits with what follows, if you read the first few paragraphs of that story.

Which brings up a general point about voice and style versus current trends and reader expectations. Sometimes the two sides clash.

Yes. Sometimes I think it's a shame when we try to narrow the acceptable range of openings. Some people can still pull off a descriptive opening, even for the modern reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.