Vatican official: No, WE'RE being persecuted!

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Few things can make me as angry and sad as the Vatican's stances on...well, almost every social issue. I remained an active member of the Church for a while, thinking the love and open-mindedness I saw in laymen would someday spread to the hierarchy, but in the end, things just weren't moving fast enough for me. I'm not patient enough to wait another hundred years for this madness to be done with.

I think it's because of the beautiful things I did experience as a Catholic that makes seeing this bigotry and stubborn ignorance so painful to watch.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
We have the right to criticize them, and if that's what the article is about, then it is a whine. If it's about legal pressure to make them change, then their complaint is legit.
I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the US no-one is forcing them to change their beliefs (that would indeed be unconstitutional). What they seem to be upset over are changes in civil law, such as the increasing number of states legalizing same-sex marriage. They expect the law itself to uphold their beliefs, at the expense of all other beliefs.

In some of the other links posted, it also sounds like they're angry about people exercising their freedom of speech to say Catholics suck. Because, like marriage law, freedom of speech should only apply to their beliefs.

And comparing their treatment to that of the Jews is just . . . *head explodes*

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*brings wet cloths for all the explosion cleanups*

Once again, I feel the need to apologize on behalf of the regular old clergy. Most of 'em ain't a bit like the hierarchy.

It is no wonder that I spent my 4 nun-years in constant trouble. I was lobbying--vocally--for married clergy and gay marriage in the early 80s. It's 30 years later and things have if anything gotten worse. 30 years are an eyeblink to the RCC. Alas.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
*brings wet cloths for all the explosion cleanups*

Once again, I feel the need to apologize on behalf of the regular old clergy. Most of 'em ain't a bit like the hierarchy.

It is no wonder that I spent my 4 nun-years in constant trouble. I was lobbying--vocally--for married clergy and gay marriage in the early 80s. It's 30 years later and things have if anything gotten worse. 30 years are an eyeblink to the RCC. Alas.

Not all thirty year stretches are equal even in the history of the RCC:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/592619/Thirty-Years-War

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Would they prefer if governments stepped up all the money-laundering investigations against them?

Opened the case of John Paul I's untimely death?

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Or, you know, look into the starts-with-P-and-ends-in-"ilia" thingy?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*Lily indulges in a moment of fantasy*

Ratzinger orders Santa Claus to the Vatican for a Papal audience.

Santa kisses Ratzinger's ring, then takes a seat next to the Papal throne. Ratzinger sits on the jolly old elf's lap.

Santa: Well, Your Holiness. What do you want for Christmas?
Ratzinger: I want an Xbox, a pony, and Superman to do that earth-reversing trick from the first movie.
Santa: Santa will do his best, Your Holiness. How far back would you like Superman to turn the earth?
Ratzinger: 1100 AD would do nicely.

*lightning shoots through the roof and turns Ratzinger and the entire College of Cardinals into glowing skeletal decorations, leaving the door open for a hostile takeover by the American nuns who they royally screwed*

...what? I said it was a fantasy. :evil

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey wait a minute! Santa'd be the next senior bearded guy! He'd be the new pope!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Only on Pay-Per-View!

It's...

POPE WARS!

Santa and the head nun from the US organization of nuns in a no-hold-barred cagematch! Veils will fly! Beards will fray! No rulers or bags of toys allowed!

Who's jolly NOW?

The winner takes the Papal Crown for the next three years! Don't Miss This Epic Throwdown--Not Even For Sunday Mass!

(Vegas odds 3-2 in favor of the nun. The oddsmakers may or may not have been educated in Catholic schools.)