bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a saga is:-

: a long and complicated story with many details

: a long and complicated series of events

Does that mean that a novel saga doesn't have to take place over many years? Can it just take place over a few months, for instance?

I'd appreciate any thoughts from members on this, as I've written a novel, which I had originally thought of as a "family saga". However, it takes place over only a few months. Many thanks!

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your problem. Does it matter whether or not you call it a saga?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the only thing I'd add to the definition is a big, impressive, significant climax and ending. But weeks, months, years? Who cares?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
'Saga' is a bit of a subjective term - I'd say it describes a story that takes place over many years, sometimes decades, but is unified by a common story thread, i.e. a family, place, or root cause. It's almost like a literary soap opera, in some ways. Downton Abbey would be a saga ;-)

I'm not sure I'd still call it a saga if it only covered a period of months, but then again, you have the sub-genre 'aga saga,' which doesn't have to involve a long or complicated story.

But the more pertinent question might be why it matters for your query. If you've already SHOWN what the story is about, then surely the agent isn't going to quibble over whether you call it a saga as long as it's clear whether it is contemporary or women's or historical fiction etc.

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
'Saga' is a bit of a subjective term - I'd say it describes a story that takes place over many years, sometimes decades, but is unified by a common story thread, i.e. a family, place, or root cause. It's almost like a literary soap opera, in some ways. Downton Abbey would be a saga ;-)

I'm not sure I'd still call it a saga if it only covered a period of months, but then again, you have the sub-genre 'aga saga,' which doesn't have to involve a long or complicated story.

But the more pertinent question might be why it matters for your query. If you've already SHOWN what the story is about, then surely the agent isn't going to quibble over whether you call it a saga as long as it's clear whether it is contemporary or women's or historical fiction etc.

Thanks. I'll bear this in mind.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
The original sagas all take place over a longer period of time such as Njal's Saga from Iceland or the Illiad and Oddyssey but the word has changed its meaning to mean a grand story with a wide sweep. Use it if the story is wide enough but I would believe a few months does not a saga make.

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
The original sagas all take place over a longer period of time such as Njal's Saga from Iceland or the Illiad and Oddyssey but the word has changed its meaning to mean a grand story with a wide sweep. Use it if the story is wide enough but I would believe a few months does not a saga make.

Thanks. Mine has quite a wide sweep, being set in the Bahamas and Scotland.

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score

Actually the Illiad doesn't even fit that mold. While it's centers on a war that lasted 10 years and has a huge scope, the work itself only covers the last 10 days or so. You don't even get to see the fallout of the war.

In response to the OP, it shouldn't make a difference in your description but make sure saga's the right word to use; you don't get many in a query and that specific word brings very specific ideas to peoples' minds.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sagas have to be writ large. Multiple generations, the history of a nation, the founding of an industry, nations at war, etc. I cannot image one that is a few months in total length. I am not saying it is impossible, but it is hard to imagine.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The original Norse sagas are episodic tales featuring a lot of historical event information, some of which was probably apocryphal. they don't have much you could call "plot". Some modern writers have been highly influenced by this heritage, notably Norwegian Sigrid Undset, who won a Nobel Prize in Literature in the 1920s. Her work, set in Medieval Norway, clearly harks back to the classic saga tradition.

The word "saga" has taken on different meanings in modern times, though, and seems actually pretty vague now. I wouldn't use it in a query. You have a novel. In your query, state as concisely as you can what happens in it. If you have a synopsis, state in a bit more detail what happens in it. Assuming you have targeted agents you feel are likely to be interested in the kind of story you've written, you don't need to "categorize" it.

caw

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Actually the Illiad doesn't even fit that mold. While it's centers on a war that lasted 10 years and has a huge scope, the work itself only covers the last 10 days or so. You don't even get to see the fallout of the war.

In response to the OP, it shouldn't make a difference in your description but make sure saga's the right word to use; you don't get many in a query and that specific word brings very specific ideas to peoples' minds.

Good advice. Thanks!

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Sagas have to be writ large. Multiple generations, the history of a nation, the founding of an industry, nations at war, etc. I cannot image one that is a few months in total length. I am not saying it is impossible, but it is hard to imagine.

You have a good point. I don't think mine can be called a saga!

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
The original Norse sagas are episodic tales featuring a lot of historical event information, some of which was probably apocryphal. they don't have much you could call "plot". Some modern writers have been highly influenced by this heritage, notably Norwegian Sigrid Undset, who won a Nobel Prize in Literature in the 1920s. Her work, set in Medieval Norway, clearly harks back to the classic saga tradition.

The word "saga" has taken on different meanings in modern times, though, and seems actually pretty vague now. I wouldn't use it in a query. You have a novel. In your query, state as concisely as you can what happens in it. If you have a synopsis, state in a bit more detail what happens in it. Assuming you have targeted agents you feel are likely to be interested in the kind of story you've written, you don't need to "categorize" it.

caw

Many thanks for your advice. Very helpful.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"Saga" has long since become nothing more than a marketing term. It's completely meaningless for a writer. Join it with "epic", and you have a movie trailer. The epic saga of how the west was won.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
"Saga" has long since become nothing more than a marketing term. It's completely meaningless for a writer. Join it with "epic", and you have a movie trailer. The epic saga of how the west was won.

Just what I was gonna say. It's like saying something is an "outrageous" comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.