At least I have chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Not a mod, just a member, but it really bothers me when people use clinical mental illnesses as colloquialisms. Would you mind not doing so? Thanks in advance! :D (You might really have bipolar, but if we don't know that it looks like you're using it as a casual label. I appreciate the consideration. :))

I understand your feelings, but it bothers me when people complain about using words in such a way. Even "idiot" draws complaints because someone who reads it has a mentally challenged child, and "idiot" is actually a clinical diagnosis.

I try not to offend unnecessarily with words, but I'm not going to stop using them as colloquialisms when they serve the purpose of saying what I want to say in the clearest, most understandable way.

I'm sorry for anyone who is bipolar, and I feel bad for anyone who is actually an idiot, but I don't think using either of these words as colloquialism helps or harms them in any way.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I opened this thread based on the title alone. I don't know anything about Klingon, but the title certainly caught my eye.

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for anyone who is bipolar, and I feel bad for anyone who is actually an idiot, but I don't think using either of these words as colloquialism helps or harms them in any way.
No (again) I put that up there because I am bipolar, and I was feeling pretty manic. And the post looks like it was written up by a beeper, who was pretty manic.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
As someone who doesn't get either reference, I would more likely pick up "At least I have chicken," because it sounds funny and who doesn't like chickens?

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I've been a Star Trek fan since it was on the air in the 1960's. (My mother didn't like us to watch Sci-fi, so I had to convince my father that it was a good show. Once I did, I was golden.)

But anyhow, I didn't get the reference either. I must have been sleeping when that came up. Was it first referenced in the (several) TV series, or in a movie, or book, or what?

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a Star Trek fan since it was on the air in the 1960's. (My mother didn't like us to watch Sci-fi, so I had to convince my father that it was a good show. Once I did, I was golden.)

But anyhow, I didn't get the reference either. I must have been sleeping when that came up. Was it first referenced in the (several) TV series, or in a movie, or book, or what?
No, as I've pointed out for the third time now, "At least I have chicken" was snuck into the wikiquote database for Klingon Proverbs. It's actually the last retort of Leeroy Jenkins.

This is no less fitting, because the first half of the book deals with a vampire, preying on the MMO community.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I clicked on the thread because of the 'At least I have chicken' but I connect it to WoW, not Klingons. If there wasn't some connection to WoW in the book I'd be irked and wondering why on earth you used the quote.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I like that title. It's quirky. I'd probably pick up the book and read the back. Maybe the first paragraph. If I don't see quirk, off with that chicken's head.

:)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I like the chicken title. I would pick it up for sure. Maybe even rename my own wip 'I got chickens also'

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
I clicked on the thread because of the 'At least I have chicken' but I connect it to WoW, not Klingons. If there wasn't some connection to WoW in the book I'd be irked and wondering why on earth you used the quote.
...and again.

This is no less fitting, because the first half of the book deals with a vampire, preying on the MMO community.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, though, I'm not sure how many people would recognize the quote at all, let alone as a Klingon joke on a website. If chicken aren't (isn't?) important to the story at all it'll probably confuse a lot of readers.

(Fwiw: I didn't recognize the quote at all. Not a big Klingon fan, I guess.)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroy!

Well, no one else was gonna do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.