S.T. Literary Agency / Stylus Literary Agency

Former Sydra Author

Re: ST Literary

I requested the information that shiva offered on writer's.net. Somebody named Nigel replied, sending me a zipfile. Everything he said about Robert Fletcher is true and I am going to the FBI. He has cost me over a thousand dollars. I recommend that anyone else dealing with St Literary do the same and put them out of business.

legendone

Re: ST Literary

8) We have to be a little cautious here Former Sydra Author. Do you mean you had ST or Sydra as your agent and they managed to rip you off for $1,000.00 before you woke up to them? Why did it take so long? Promises? Promises?
Did you actually get published?
Have you ever heard of anyone getting published through ST or Sydra?
I have a complete documented story which could be of use to you FSA. Send me a message if you think it would help.

scorpioforu

Just in time!

Wow, that was close! I have my check for $129. in an envelope ready to go out in the morning to St. Literary Agency for their 'administration fee'.
I was referred to this site by an online writing buddy and thought I'd come see if there was anything posted here about St. Literary Agency.
I've only sent query letters and chapter submissions out to 7 agencies so far and three of the four Ive heard back from look like they are all scammers! The first, Publish America, then David Mocknick Productions (who wants a $450. contract fee upfront) and now St. Literary Agency...
I did write back to St. Literary Agency and ask them for several of their most recent sales to publishers. They sent me three (but didn't say how recent they were):
Denise Becker 'Shades of Brown'
William Powell 'The Road to Hebron'
Paul Anderson 'The Future of Customer Service'

They also gave me Paul Anderson's email and phone number to call for a reference, how convenient...

I found it interesting that twice on their own site, ST cautions new authors about agencies that charge upfront fees and yet they do it themselves. Funny they don't mention the $129. 'administration fee', of $14.00 due for each manuscript they send out for you on their website!

Add me to 'the one agent wiser' list...
And thanks for not deleting this important info before I found you!

Becki:eek

scorpioforu

Me too!

I just received the same email two weeks ago from Jill Mast. I filled out the 'Pre-Contract Author Intake Form' and sent it back. A few days ago, I recieved an offer of representation and their contract, with an explanation about their $129. 'administration fee'. $79. for the pitch page and $50. for setting me up in their database.
A sample of their Online Pitch Page is at: www.demo.STLiteraryAgency.com

Also, they charge $14. for each mansucript they send out for you. They also state that I have only 14 days to sign the contract and submit payment.
It says to submit payment and make payable to Rapid Publishing, Inc. Payments to Rapid Publishing can be made to Paypal using [email protected]

Signed contract is to go to:
ST Literary Agency Inc.
Attn: Contracts
P.O. Box 272503
Boca Raton, FL 33427

Dave, I'd be happy to send you all correspondence that I've had with them, if you're interested. I'm so glad I found this site this evening and read all the posts about ST Literary Agency before I sent them my check!

Becki

James D Macdonald

Re: Just in time!

This isn't the first time we've saved some one from <a href="http://p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewritefrm3.showMessage?topicID=342.topic" target="_new">a costly mistake</a>.

candnvent

ST Literary

Here is something interesting that I found on the Writers.net message board regarding ST Literary.

Author: vlyric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 03-25-04 23:04

If only I had checked this site a couple weeks earlier and I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up, nor would I have sent my manuscript to these crooks!
On one of their sites they advertised that Genesis Publishing Inc. was interested in one of their writers and it just so happened Genesis was reviewing my work at present so that was an excuse for me to call Genesis up and inquire of my 'ms' status.
"By the way" I asked the rep. "Have you heard of ST Literary Agency?"
She asked, "Who?"
After explaining my situation to her and informing her of their claim to have business relations with Genesis. She stated and I quote, "I'm sorry I have no knowledge of ST Literary". God bless'em! That's all I can say without cussing! God bless'em!!!!!!!!!!

lillicrow

ST Lit

Oh, I feel like a dip now. I didn't actually send these people any money, but I feel ashamed that I believed their rubbish. Sigh. Guess it's back to the agent board...

What exactly are people reporting to the FBI? And if you haven't sent these people any money is there still a way you can complain and hopefully get these guys out of business?

1ha11ca

Re: THANKS

I made the mistake of sending my manuscript to STL before researching google. However, I think I've rectofied the situation in a follow-up email:

Earlier today, I submitted a digital copy of my manuscript, "_____________".

Only after I forwarded the work to you did I begin to use Goggle to acquire more information about your firm. Due to reading information on the following site: pub43.ezboard.com/fabsolu...61&stop=80 I am beginning to have serious reservations I will now provide you the opportunity to address in the next paragraph.

Please forward a complete list of authors who you have DIRECTLY represented and are responsible for the successful publication of their works and the names of these publications. If you cannot forward this information, PLEASE DO NOT READ OR IN ANY WAY UTILIZE THE submission I sent to you this afternoon. In the event that I do not receive the requested statistics, I expect that the "submission" email and its attached pdf digital rendering of my work will be destroyed on your end. I do take the protections offered by the federal government seriously. I did began my efforts by copyrighting the manuscript.

Your firm should be very concerned about information which appears on the Internet about your ownership and tactics. I am.

If I receive a response, I'll be glad to share the information. I'm not a betting woman - but, what do you think of my odds?
According to what I've read so far, I'll have a better chance winning the California Lottery.

1ha11ca

Re: ST Lit

I made the mistake of forwarding a copy of the work to ST Lit before doing the google research. When I did read the bountiful info here, I found it to be VERY timely! So, I composed an email to them - just to be fair.

Earlier today, I submitted a digital copy of my manuscript, "________________".

Only after I forwarded the work to you did I begin to use Goggle to acquire more information about your firm. Due to reading information on the following site: pub43.ezboard.com/fabsolu...61&stop=80 I am beginning to have serious reservations I will now provide you the opportunity to address in the next paragraph.

Please forward a complete list of authors who you have DIRECTLY represented and are responsible for the successful publication of their works and the names of these publications. If you cannot forward this information, PLEASE DO NOT READ OR IN ANY WAY UTILIZE THE submission I sent to you this afternoon. In the event that I do not receive the requested statistics, I expect that the "submission" email and its attached pdf digital rendering of my work will be destroyed on your end. I do take the protections offered by the federal government seriously. I did began my efforts by copyrighting the manuscript.

Your firm should be very concerned about information which appears on the Internet about your ownership and tactics. I am.

I feel more confident about winning the CA Lottery with my usual $1 bet.

DaveKuzminski

To 1ha11ca, please note that your manuscript is already copyrighted in the US. You don't need to actually register the copyright unless you intend to go to court.

1ha11ca

ST Lit

Thanks Dave. Yes, I did my homework before slapping down the copyright fee. I'm still learning, but my business background always forces me to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.

I don't think I've written the next great American novel by any means, but good or bad, it is MY work.

If the company is as unethical as the comments in this section indicate.... I'm a few dollars poorer, but you gotta admit that evidence with a seal from the Library of Congress is pretty hard to dispute.

absolutewrite

Just as an addendum here-- yes, I'm annoyed. Shiva (and of course, I do know who you are), I would think you know me well enough to realize that I did not suggest that you edit your posts because I want to keep baddies in business. Quite the opposite. I work damn hard behind the scenes at helping writers stay away from scammers and deadbeats. This whole board puts me at a tremendous risk, and you also know how many people have come after me personally because of things other people have posted on my board. I suck it up and deal with it because I think this is IMPORTANT. But I won't have you or anyone else put me or this site in danger because you can't stick to the facts.

James D Macdonald

Hey, Jenna, long's you're here, could you whisper in my ear the ISP that "Newsflash" (in the "Agents Charging Fees" thread) used, particularly if it's the same as the one Robert Fletcher used in this thread?

absolutewrite

Hi James! Nope, they're not even close. Newsflash's IPs have remained in the same range since the beginning, totally different from the one Fletcher used.

Shiva the Destroying Angel

st lit

Sorry Jenna - I wrongly assumed you canned my latest post.
You may be interested to know Robert Fletcher of Boca Raton and his friend Paul Anderson of Houston, Texas are on the run!
I have indeed reported ST Literary to the FBI; so have several others.
If anyone wants my latest 2.7 megabyte zipfile regarding Robert Fletcher, ST Literary, Byteaudio.com, and Sydra-Techniques, feel free to contact [email protected]
I'm BACK!
I intend to DESTROY Robert Fletcher, ChE, once and for all, using the FBI, lawsuits of every variety, and anything else at my disposal.

My sincere apologies to you Jenna,

Shiva the Destroying Angel

1ha11ca

Re: st lit

Earlier, I promised to share any response to my request for a list of authors, etc. from ST Lit. Below is an excerpt from an email they forwarded to me:

Denise Becker Shades of Brown Genesis Press
William Powell The Road to Hebron The Lighthouse Press
Paul Anderson The future of CustomerService Dole Printing & Press

As a reference contact one of our authors, Paul Anderson, 713-937-4125, [email protected]. Paul is quite busy so be persistent

The email was signed by: Jill Mast, Administration (VP).

sfsassenach

Checked those houses

Can't find anything for Dole.

Genesis accepts unagented material.

Lighthouse: "Current status: Submissions suspended."

Not exactly impressive agenting work on the part of ST.

James D Macdonald

Re: st lit

Paul Anderson The future of CustomerService Dole Printing & Press

They meant "Doyle Publishing."

Paul Anderson, of course, is a partner in ST Literary, and Doyle Publishing is a pay-to-publish company. Not all that impressive....

robertfletcher

Robert Fletcher, President, ST Literary Agency

:teeth

Yes, here we go again. Truthfully, i'm torn by even responding to these but there is so much untruth that is hurting innocent people that I have to step in.

So here goes. For those of you just joining in my name is Robert Fletcher and I am the President of ST Literary Agency, Inc. We've been incorporated since early 2003. I took over the company from a prior owner (SYDRA) and changed the way it did business. He had been in business since '97.

=================
Here's a challenge... Just for grins, my name, my phone number and my background are spread out on the web more than enough.

I certainly challenge any detractors to come out from under their cloaks of emails and post their names and phone numbers and addresses.

Let's quickly see who has the cojone's to play this soon to be rough little game. Our materials are covered by trade secret laws and I absolutely guarantee the lawsuits are going to fly.. let's see who cares to play.

Prior to this I have been the CEO of a number of companies, and yes, in America, we have a game called 'tag the CEO' with lawsuits. I've been in lawsuits, i've appealed lawsuits and I've won lawsuits. I have lawyers, I use them a lot, and if you can't stand the heat, don't step up to the fire. That's what it takes to be a CEO in America today.

You hire me to be your Agent. You hire me to understand the legal aspects of any business decision. If I am your Agent you want me to be able to kick serious legal butt in your behalf. If I hired an Agent, i'd like for him to have been around and been kicked around a little bit. I'd want an experienced pit bull who has both won and lost.. sort of the Kennedy quote about "the credit belonging to the man in the ring, with sweat and blood... "

Also, just a little advice in the proper business use of lawsuits. Lawsuits aren't about the law, they are about money... how much you have, and how much your opponent has.

So, all the innuendo about FBI, lawsuits, etc. are just that, innuendo. I've already submitted support documentation to a number of legal agencies and gotten clean bills of health. I keep exquisite documentation and can 100% of the time show the supporting documentation for services paid for, services delivered.

After that warmup, some of you may be wondering what all this brouhaha is about. It's laughable really.

Because we have decide to help new and unpublished authors, we have the audacity to cover our admin costs ($129) and you wouldn't believe the ire we have raised in the industry.

Well, an Agent had better have thicker skin than his writers because we take a lot more rejection than a single writer ever will.

============ And now, for the fun stuff, some positive stuff, we're really not the green meanies that everyone supposes, we're real people, with kids, and we go to work every day.. of course according to some, we slither to and from, but hey, opinions are like ass..oops.. =======

If you have half a mind to listen to both sides of the story, then this should give you pause. (of course, if you disagree, hey, this is the web, just be careful to keep it within the realm of professionalism. I don't mind disagreement, I do mind attacks and lies and I am already spending legal dollars to clean this up. If you are in the latter category, did you even read the Terms of Usage at this site. They aren't going to share your liability.)

====================
First i'm going to give you some references from good clients.

Then, i'm going to show you the deal memo on the most recent deal that we are concluding. Most authors have never seen a live offer.. This is what a decent one for a new author looks like. THIS DEAL MEMO IS SPECIFICALLY TO DEAL WITH THE 'WHAT HAVE YOU SOLD - NOTHING' DETRACTORS. The sales cycles are long and our pipeline has just filled enough to start squeezing out regular sales.

This group of references has agreed that they can be contacted. However, I am wary of just sending someone over that may prove to ruin my relationship. I'm sure you understand. I've lost a good client before to an overaggressive reference seeker so I'm going to play intermediary. If you don't like it, we understand, but we're not changing our policy. I'd rather not have a new client than ruin an existing one. ok?

If you wish to contact Mr. Anderson, please do so directly. Any of the others, send me the email that you wish to have answered. I will forward it to them.

Michael Sears
==============
I'm a client of ST Literary Agency and have been for a while. They have been extremely honest and fair in their dealings. After researching what to expect from a Literary Agency agency from the Idiot's Guide To Getting Published and the 2003 Literary Agents Guide, I've found that ST not only complied and met industry standards on how to act towards me as a client, but often exceeded them. For just one example of them going the extra mile, the first thing they promised and delivered on was a professional website for my work (the Online Pitch Page). For another, they have always kept me well informed, without infringing on the publishers rights in any way. The process of finding an agent is long and confusing, the process of putting your creative work out there is going to be no less stressful.
Since I've joined ST Literary Agency, we have been putting my work in front of buyers. We don't have a sale yet, but we've had some good reviews, and we have almost cleared the very last hurdle on multiple occasions. ST has kept me informed along the way and they have always responded to my questions very quickly, usually within a day or two. This is a huge help considering the huge emotional investment you make in putting your work up as a writer to be reviewed by the publishing market.

This is a stressful process, with a long waiting period, as you attempt to find the right buyer for your work. I couldn't think of a better team to be with during this process, and when I do sell, after reading what I have about the industry's standards, I have no intention of going anywhere else, ever...

In short, they've done what they said they would do and if they are considering you, then I would definitely suggest that you let them prove themselves to you. You have enough stress in the marathon of creating a novel, let ST help you with the longer race to sell it. I hope that this helps.

-Michael Sears

Rev. Amy Snow, MA
================

To Whom It May Concern:

Yes, I am a client of ST Literary Agency and have been for some time now. They have been honest and fair in their dealings. The first thing they promised and delivered on was a professional website for my work (the Online Pitch Page). Since that time we have been putting my work in front of buyers. We don't have a sale yet, but we've had some good nibbles. ST has kept me informed along the way and they have always responded to my questions very quickly, usually within a day or two. In short, they've done what they said they would do and if they are considering you, then I would definitely suggest that you let them prove themselves to you. I hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Rev. Amy L. Snow, M.A.
author of The Endless Tour: Vietnam, PTSD, and the Spiritual Void

====================
Yes!! Without a doubt I would be honored to be a reference. Basically everything that you stated in the verbal dialogue is the truth and I really do appreciate the STL Family. Sincerely, Carl Bell - STL Author

=====================
I would be happy to give a reference. ST Literary has always been upfront and proactive whenever I
communicate with them. I always receive a timely response whenever I ask a
question or for ST Literary to do a follow-up with a production company.

In the business of writing...I have learned the following. As a new writer
(even though I have been pursuing the craft of screenwriting for six years)
you must actively market your work on your own. There is no magic pill or
quick elevator to the top. To reach a level that is expected in Hollywood, a
screenwriter must constantly write and learn from each creative task via a
screenplay.

An agent is only as good as one's work...I have found your responses to
producers and production companies on my behalf to be professional and
courteous.

I am currently writing screenplay number eight (the industry average for a
first time sale is nine)...I feel that I am getting close to my goal. I look
forward to the day when I make that first sale and I know I will be good
hands with ST Literary as they will be there to look after my business
interests.

I would say to new writers that sign with ST Literary...don't expect things
to happen quickly...if they do that's great...becoming a great writer is
like becoming a great doctor...it takes study and training over a number of
years. An agency (any agency) is only as good as the writers they
represent...naturally they're those writers who don't write with an
intensity that separates them from the masses and the elite number of
professionals...I strive to tell the best story I possibly can that will be
entertaining and also be marketable. In other words..."don't quit your day
job...the one that pays the bills"...but work on improving one's skill
level...and to be honest...it takes time.

Best Regards,
Gary Dover

======================
Publisher - Lighthouse Press
Ron Richard, President
Lighthouse Press, Inc.
www.TheLighthousePress.com
[email protected]

We are in the process of formalizing a relationship with ST Literary Agency but have not worked out all the details as of this writing. As to our publishing company, we are a four year old company with forty three titles currently in print. All of our titles are available through Ingram and Baker & Taylor, our wholesalers to the book trade. We are members of Publishers Marketing Association.
Please visit our web site linked below for more information about us.
Thanks for writing and perhaps we may communicate again in the near future.
Ron Richard, Publisher
Lighthouse Press, Inc.
www.TheLighthousePress.com
(ps. we don't accept unsolicited or unagented materials.)

Paul Anderson,
Author of The Future of Customer Service and 5 other books, 30,000+ Sold
======================================================
Paul has agreed to be a main reference. You may email him at [email protected] or call him at 561.703.2550.

Here's his ISBN numbers for all the sleuths out there.
"What is success? First and last, it is personal happiness." p. 128

A Call From the 21st Century, F Ed., ISBN 0-9653359-0-9

The Executive’s Guide to Customer Relationship Management ISBN 0-9653359-5-X

The Executive’s Guide to Customer Relationship Management, SBC Special Edition, ISBN 0-9653359-5-X

The Demand Generation, Return on Relationships, F Ed., ISBN 0-9653359-6-8

The Demand Generation, Customer Managed Relationships, Siemens Ed., ISBN 0-9653359-6-8

The Demand Generation, Return on Loyalty, Avaya Ed., ISBN 0-9653359-6-8

The Digital Call Center, Gateway to Customer Intimacy, ISBN 0-9653359-1-7

Telecommunications, (ed. Bayche), ISBN 0-9704287-4-X

The Future of Customer Service, pub. date May 2004 ISBN 0-96553-x-x

Shihan Te, The Bunkai of Karate Kata ISBN 1-886969-84-4

========Did that look real, or do the cynical think I made all that up... ====================
Ok, now take note, these are real clients and a real publisher who has done 43 books.
=============================

Now, here is a real live deal memo.. i've blanked the names because .. well, because you guys could blow the deal and I don't want that to happen. The lack of professionalism that I see in these forums is scary.

========== Current Deal Memo =====================

Dear Robert,

It was good talking with you yesterday about D. and the travel/tour book.
I'm excited about the prospect of publishing this wonderful little book in
the U.S., and I think it would be a great fit for our list. I also think
bringing it out this fall makes a lot of sense, since it was published
overseas last year.

I appreciate your suggestion to structure the deal as favorably as possible
for D. Here's what we can offer:

Advance of $5,000 against the following royalties:

10% of net through 5,000 copies sold
12% of net from 5,001 to 10,000 copies sold
15% of net from 10,001 to 20,000 copies sold
17% of net thereafter

Regarding the marketing/publicity plan, we would:

Feature the book at the Book Expo in June by creating a large poster to
display in our booth and bringing a supply of advance copies to give away to
booksellers (we would produce these copies ourselves or buy them from
D.

Mail advance copies to select media three to four months prior to
publication.

Mail approximately 100 copies to targeted media once the book is published.

Attempt to set up interviews with print media and on radio. These
interviews could be conducted by phone.

If D is planning to come to the U.S. sometime this fall, we would
arrange signings at bookstores and try to arrange interviews to coincide
with his stay (probably in New York and the tri-state area).

Let me know if you need any other specific information. I learned today that
the deadline for making additions to our fall '04 catalog is the end of this
week.

Thanks very much for your help.

All the best,

T.

======Conclusion ===============
So, what have we seen? Do you have an open mind, or is it shut?

We've seen exising clients that have paid their $129 and they are satisfied enough to be featured as a reference.

We've got a publisher that will tell you we are certainly doing deals and are real.

And we've got an author with 30,000+ books sold, who absolutely will kick ass for himself and for us.

And on the other hand, we have innuendo, threats, lies, and personal attacks from people who won't put out their name and contact info like we do.

The negative comments on the web are from 1) people we didn't accept, 2) people we fired, 3) people that don't understand the real ins and outs of running a Literary Agency that will even work with brand new, unpublished authors.

We have sales, we defray our costs, we give you personal and timely communications (like this one).

Professionals see through the innuendo and misinformation. Our goal is to have relationships with writers that understand this is a business.

And, as always, I congratulate anyone that has penned thought to paper and created something from nothing. The world is a better place because of writing. I just wish more writers could be heard, but the game is not rigged that way.

Sincerely,
Robert Fletcher
President
ST Literary Agency
www.stliteraryagency.com

p.s. what do I wish would happen.. I hope that the forum manager will be conscious of personal attacks. I hope that readers will understand that it is ok to be different, and I hope that those of you who have been really wondering about us will at reach the neutral point. I think that the personal information being posted about my employees is way off base and I ask the moderator to be alert for that type of post. It doesn't belong.

Cheers and best of luck to all of us, my final wish is for everyone to ...

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." (Plato)

Kate Nepveu

Re: Robert Fletcher, President, ST Literary Agency

Mr. Fletcher, I don't know you from anyone, and I have no agenda (and yes, this is my real name, if you care). But I can read, and setting aside the belligerent prologue, what your post boils down to is:

4 references from authors who have made a total of zero sales.

1 statement by a small press that they are "in the process of formalizing a relationship." I don't know what that means, and it's not my understanding that agents have "formal relationships" with publishers beyond sending them submissions, but whatever it is, it's not complete yet.

1 author whose publications all appear to be through Doyle Publishing (a few didn't turn up on an ISBN search of Amazon, and excepting the anthology), which is a pay-to-publish company.

and

1 memo talking about a deal not yet completed, with royalties to be calculated against the net rather than the cover price.

If this is your evidence, I suggest that it's not going to be very convincing, and perhaps you should revisit this conversation when your agency has had more time to accumulate a track record.

emeraldcite

Re: Robert Fletcher, President, ST Literary Agency

after reading the letter I still have only one question:

After being in business for so long, what sales have you made?

I don't care about working relationships, associations with presses, or with published authors. I think the major concern is what have you sold?

A direct statement listing titles and authors is all you need to reply. Maybe I missed them in the letter (and the similarly worded testimonials).