Welcome to Writing Exercises, Prompts and Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeshanu

Welcome to the Writing Exercises, Prompts and Games Board. Here we play with words.

A few guidelines so that everyone can have fun:

Some of these prompts are serious, and some less so. It's up to you how you play with them. If you want to have fun with a serious prompt, go ahead. If you want to do something a little more thought-provoking with a "fun" prompt, it's your writing.

Please don't leave me or the other regulars to post all of the prompts, either. I'll try to start new threads on a regular basis, but RL happens even to the best of mods and... Well, you know the problem. Never enough time. If you want to post something and see how it turns out, go ahead. Just keep your prompts rated "family," please.

There aren't many "rules" when it comes to this thread, but there's one that needs to be stated out loud. If your writing contains lots of profanity, graphic violence, or graphic sex, please don't post it on this board. Each thread on this board will have multiple posters, and not everyone who wants to read the thread will want to read such material.

However, don't give up on writing or posting your piece. Instead, you can post the work in the SYW forum with a suitable warning. Then post a link to the piece in the thread here, along with a short warning about why it was posted in SYW. That way, if someone wants to read your piece, they have easy access, and if someone would rather skip it, they can.

The only other guideline we have here is about games and their rules. Sometimes people stretch the rules of a particular prompt or game a little. That's perfectly okay. We are creative individuals, and our minds sometimes wander off in unforseen directions. (If you see mine, will you tell it to come back? )

But problems occur when someone (who is usually not the original poster of the thread) comments on someone else's work, saying, "That's not the right way to play this game." Such posts tend to lead to hurt feelings, and sometimes the end of the thread. So try and give others the freedom that you would want for yourself.

Lastly, I would like to encourage everyone to try every prompt (unrealistic, I know, but I just thought I'd say it.) You don't have to post "your best stuff" here -- this isn't SYW or school. Feel free to write garbage, if that's what comes out. But do try. To encourage you, I'd like to say that one of the prompts here has spawned at least two works that the writers are seriously considering submitting for publication. Sometimes games are just what you need to jump-start your writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.