Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I love ending my novels with torturing my MCs. Quite a few have been dead or crazy at the end.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The annoying moment when you don't want to write the scene you're on...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Lalala, backstory is easy when it comes from an entirely different novel.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have two options for NaNoWriMo

An untitled dystopian where it's illegal to fall in love.

Stupid Cupid - a teenage boy finds out he's the son of Cupid ... and funny stuff happens.

The dystopian will need more research methinks..

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
YAY, Smiley. You can do it.

My spreadsheet entry for the plot of Stupid Cupid:

Nicky Valentine has never had any luck when it comes to his love life. Especially with Girl, who, to make things worse, has a boyfriend. On the eve of his sixteenth birthday, Cupid visits him and tells him that he is his father. He also tells him that his powers will trigger at midnight. Nicky decides to try out his powers on Girl, but everything backfires.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Not that you all need another place to sub to, but I just learned that one of my publishers is opening a YA line of gritty romances next year (they're making a new site for it and everything).

You can check the guidelines here. The minimum word requirement is 20k.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what gritty means, but I'm sure if you email them, they'll be happy to explain.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
JustBishop - Ooh, now you have me super intrigued to know what your new WIP is about! Have you finished outlining?

Sage - Congratulations on the partial! I'm sending positive vibes your way!

I've had a sort of crazy, exhausting 48 hours. Sunday morning I woke up at 6 AM, ran 12 miles, hopped into the car, and then drove 6 1/2 hours up to school. I was so tired at one point, though, that I pulled into a rest stop and took a 30-minute nap! And then moving in, unpacking... all very tiring. This morning, luckily, I only had one class. But it's very, very strange to be back at my tiny, New England liberal arts college after spending last semester in a city abroad. My class this morning was good, though, so I'm optimistic.

Also, good news this afternoon: I got another request for a full! So far, out of the 13 queries I've sent, I've had 2 rejections, 2 full requests, and the others I'm still waiting on. I might send out another query tonight, but I kind of want to wait and see what sort of reaction I get from the fulls before I burn through more agents on my list...

Anyway, happy Monday everyone!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Guys I have 300 more words until I reach 58,000 in VD.
:snoopy:

Now if only I could get to 60k...

Go Smiley! :hooray:

Ohhhh...intriguing. I like it. A sadistic ending would make me more interested in reading, does that make me a sadist too?

Yes, welcome to the club. Here's your "Proud Literary Sadist" teeshirt, and you will receive instructions on the secret handshake by mail with your membership card ;)

JustBishop - Ooh, now you have me super intrigued to know what your new WIP is about! Have you finished outlining?

Not yet, still have some dots to connect to get to the end. But I'm hoping to finish it up within the next few days!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, Debra Driza (houndrat) is looking to word war at 4 (in 20 minutes) too. I @ed you in our conversation about it.

Anyone else can join us too :D

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Word count is at exactly 75K. For reference, it was just over 74K before I started cutting yesterday.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow... my new furniture for my room came. I nice huge reclining comfortable as hell writing chair. Sitting in it now in pure heaven. Oh yeah i can see a lot being written from right here!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
HAHA! Lisa, you should venture out more into the YA forum LOL. There's an entire thread about what is high concept. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.