Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats JK! You must be over the moon! /lame pun.
It must feel like an amazing day :)

Also, just read the sample pages on Amazon...seems like I'll have to buy the book soon so I can read the rest :)

Last edited:

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, old people. LOL. It was a pretty awesome, yet very ordinary day.

It's at a bargain price, Kewii. ;) My kids keep laughing about that. They must think I am JK Rowling or something like that to demand $20 a book.

everythinginblak

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Jill! Lol loved the little remix of call me maybe for your book haha that song is toxic!

I am going to retire from my mini break to dismember my writers block. Have a short story idea so I'm going to start after all three of my rugrats are in bed I will be shoving my earphones deep within my ears to drown out my husbands obssessive video gaming. And I am hoping my first draft won't be shit.

Yeeah...lots of coffee and cheesecake...gotta have fuel to write!

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
Congrats JK and Kansas!

PS- Sorry I've been M.I.A. lately. I'm stuck in public school bureaucratic hell and not in any mood to comment or read posts. No writing is getting done by me ATM. Just jumpin' through hoops to get my continuing contract. I have done some editing, but not as much as I'd like. :(

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats JK and Kansas!

PS- Sorry I've been M.I.A. lately. I'm stick in public school bureaucratic hell and not in any mood to comment or read posts. No writing is getting done by me ATM. Just jumpin' through hoops to get my continuing contract. I have done some editing, but not as much as I'd like. :(

Booooo. Sorry for shittastic times. You sound a bit down. When life stuff has me bogged down, I too find it hard to get into my writing. Hope things work out and settle down for you soon. ((((hugs)))))

FMAnderson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Booooo. Sorry for shittastic times. You sound a bit down. When life stuff has me bogged down, I too find it hard to get into my writing. Hope things work out and settle down for you soon. ((((hugs)))))

Things were going great, but then I got observed by an idiot during my fifth period Drama class. They had just gotten back from their sex education field trip and were ballistic. Now I'm stuck with this observer from a shitty school who isn't smart enough to know her butt from a hole in the ground. I'm just stressed and sick of bs right now.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, JK! Good on you!

Chin up, FM!

Okay, can I rook any of y'all into doing "The Next Big Thing" blog hop? I've been tagged for next week and wanted to see if I could enlist (i.e., sucker) any of you. I think all you need's a blog and off you go.

Takers?

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
What is the Next Big Thing? I'm not sure I understand what you need. :)

Sorry about that FM. Observations suck enough as it is. And what the hell is a sex education field trip? I can't even imagine how they'd be after something like that. Boo.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Things were going great, but then I got observed by an idiot during my fifth period Drama class. They had just gotten back from their sex education field trip and were ballistic. Now I'm stuck with this observer from a shitty school who isn't smart enough to know her butt from a hole in the ground. I'm just stressed and sick of bs right now.

Ugh! What a horrible time for an observation! Was it a formal or informal? And are they aware of what a terrible time it was? I hate when the admin expects you to pull miracles out of your butt. Like, yeah, sure, come observe me right after the kids were at recess for lunch, when they are exhausted and sweaty and crying because they had a fight with this one or fell down and got hurt or they are completely OUT OF THEIR EFFING MINDS WITH LEFT OVER ENERGY!!!! Gah! *eye roll* soooooooooo annoying!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, what is that you need? I have a blog, what do I do with it?

FM, sorry about the work stress. Don't want to think about a sex education field trip. These must be middle schoolers (5th through 8th grade), which are a tricky set of kids. You teachers have my hat. Take my sandals too. I taught a 5th grade Sunday School class for an hour a week and could not hack it.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
We never had sex-ed field trips. We stayed in class for ours in school.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Okay - working on book#3 while I have a few minutes free time. Then back to routine :)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
FM, sorry to hear about your rough times. You have my admiration though. I did some substitute teaching for six months for extra cash a few years ago (I was 25) and aaaarrrrgghhh! I couldn't handle it. Especially middle school. I swear 7th graders are spawned straight from hell. I put four 9th graders in the corner once. Well, I only had 3 corners so I made one kid stand in front of my desk and stare at the stapler (I promise I'm not a mean person, I just couldn't get control and had to think of something, haha).

Nope, teaching isn't my thing.

I'm trying to get myself in the mood to write, but work is crazy and my hubby keeps traveling--gone last week, here this week, gone again next week--so my schedule is all messed up.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
7th graders are hard. You put a stranger in the room with them and things will go to hell. But if they know you and you have rapport, they're pretty awesome. I actually love my 7th graders...but I've been teaching them for three years now.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JK and Kewii! "The Next Big Thing" blog hop is designed to drum up interest in the book you're working on/or are recently pubbing and generate traffic for your blog-site. Each author tagged answers the same ten questions, then passes it onto other authors, dropping their blog-sites.

Here's an example from the awesome writer who tagged me: http://gailroughton.blogspot.com/

JK, the timing would appear to be especially fortuitous for you! The rules (although I think they're loose) is that you're supposed to tag five other authors (but a lot of writers aren't doing that). If anyone's interested, let me know. I'm slated for next week, which means y'all would be set to go the week after (November 5-10).

p.s., my sex education classes in high school took place in the boiler room, presided over by a questionable janitor with an amazing magazine collection. It was an education of a different sort.

FMAnderson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
7th graders are hard. You put a stranger in the room with them and things will go to hell. But if they know you and you have rapport, they're pretty awesome. I actually love my 7th graders...but I've been teaching them for three years now.

I love my seventh graders, but they take a certain type of personality. Eighth graders are the devil, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.