MayNoWriMo - This time it's personal!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing a short story a day so far this month for a bet. I'm used to insane writing challenges ( I did three consecutive nanowrimo's once, and have done script frenzy too) but I think this is the single hardest challenge I've done so far. My stories tend to be 3k to 5k,but it not the sheer number of words (around 35k so far) it is inventing new characters, plots etc every day that makes it hard.

If anyone wants a mad challenge they should consider it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good. :)

Maybe a bit fast-paced for me though. Mostly because I can't write well without an outline, and outlines take me a long time. If I had to do a new outline every day I think I'd go mad! :tongue

I think my personal pace for shorts would be something like... A 10k story every week.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Decided on a whim that I'll be doing June Camp NaNo this year. :tongue

It's going to REALLY suck for the first week, but once graduation is done I'll have ALL month. :D

I'm also at the point with my Spanish class that I'm guaranteed to pass it (although I have to do a LOT more work to pass with something other than a D... ;)), but it feels good knowing that it doesn't matter as much anymore. Less pressure.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I can pretty much flunk my exam for one of my subjects and still pass, provided I get a handful of points in the exam.

Takes a lot of pressure off. :)

Gah. My sore neck has turned into a sore shoulder. I'm used to my left shoulder being sore, but this time it's my right shoulder. It sucks.

I should get a professional massage or something.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
About to read more of Mrs. Dalloway. I want to get it finished today, so that tomorrow I can start on the next book and feel like I'm ahead of the game. :tongue

Meanwhile, I've been killing time with vlogs on youtube. It kind of makes me want to buy a video camera and start my own vlog. But then I have to think, will anyone watch a vlog from a person with no life?

Probably not. :tongue

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
About to read more of Mrs. Dalloway. I want to get it finished today, so that tomorrow I can start on the next book and feel like I'm ahead of the game. :tongue

Meanwhile, I've been killing time with vlogs on youtube. It kind of makes me want to buy a video camera and start my own vlog. But then I have to think, will anyone watch a vlog from a person with no life?

Probably not. :tongue

foolish boy... you have a life. You are a student and a developing writer. A musician. A writer of songs.

You would just have to find an angle. Like with a blog. I hate people who are like "this is my life-blog". It's like, pick a subject, an angle! What is it about your life??

My blog is about my journey as a writer. I rarely go off track, and when I do, I bring it around to show what this has to do with my journey as a writer. You aren't stuck to a narrow track, you just have to point your blog/vlog in the direction you have picked so they are cohesive.

As for me - I edited 18,690 words. I've only got about 30k left to edit. This is a really complicated, multi-pov story, so I've got lots of editing left to do, but I'm really happy with the way it's developing.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
When I say I have no life, what I mean is: "I don't have real-life friends (just acquaintances who I only see in certain settings, such as Uni) or a girlfriend."

Most of the vlogs I've been watching have been from "typical" people. Y'know, the kind who actually have other people in their physical life...

I did try to think of an angle to use for a writing vlog, but all I kept thinking was, "Who'd want to watch me type?" :tongue

Besides, a video camera isn't exactly cheap, especially if I also need to buy editing software.

In other news, I'm up to page 100 of 165. It's becoming easier to read the more I get into it, but it's still hard going.

Although I think I identified half the problem. I have to finish reading it by Monday. I basically had 1 week to read this book. And the problem is, to actually enjoy this sort of book, I think I'd need to read it rather slowly, and take frequent breaks to reflect on what I've just read. Having to finish it by Monday means I can't do that...

I might have to mention that in my tutorial. Like, "I would've enjoyed it more if I'd had more time for it."

*shrug*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just realised I have about 4 or 5 weeks until both essays are due... Should probably get started on them soon too.

Bah. I guess I won't be working on my personal fiction anytime soon after all.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
And Mrs. Dalloway is finished.

Going to head out to the shops, probably just to browse (and pick up milk), shouldn't really be spending money right now, then it'll be time to choose my essay questions.

One book left to read for English. The Hours by Michael Cunningham. Apparently it was inspired by Mrs. Dalloway or something, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My poor Absolute Visions, which arrived last week, hasn't been opened yet, apart from to see which of the authors I recognised.

Stoopid required reading for Uni. Pooh.

But it is at the top of my list for when I do have time for my own reading. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I felt like writing something, but not working on my novels. In the end I wrote about 1000 words for a blog post. Or rather, to see whether I could be bothered with blogs.

Turns out I didn't have anything worth saying. So that answers the question of whether I'd get any real use out of a video camera (for vlogs). The answer is "No".

So I just saved myself a few hundred dollars with half an hour of typing.

But hey, I wrote something! It just wasn't interesting.