• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entangled Publishing

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought about the #pitchwars contest on Twitter? It seems like a great way to connect with agents, get your work polished, etc.

I've heard about it, but I'm a little confused about how it works because I think I've heard you have to have mentors and so on. Then again, I haven't really researched it yet. I would like to give it a go sometime though!

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about it, but I'm a little confused about how it works because I think I've heard you have to have mentors and so on. Then again, I haven't really researched it yet. I would like to give it a go sometime though!

There are a bunch of agented/published authors who are serving as mentors. You have to decide which four would best connect with your work. On August 18 (I think) you pitch to the four of them with your query and first 250 words. They'll pick people to mentor and spend the next few months helping you polish both your manuscript and your query. Then in November, they have the agent/editor round when they'll post all of the queries and samples and the professionals get the chance to make requests.

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
There are a bunch of agented/published authors who are serving as mentors. You have to decide which four would best connect with your work. On August 18 (I think) you pitch to the four of them with your query and first 250 words. They'll pick people to mentor and spend the next few months helping you polish both your manuscript and your query. Then in November, they have the agent/editor round when they'll post all of the queries and samples and the professionals get the chance to make requests.

Thanks for explaining it! That sounds really cool. Especially now that my manuscript has officially been rejected from Entangled (day 54).

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to EP, my first book has just been unleashed on the unsuspecting world. :D

Timeline: subbed early Oct 13, offered late Nov 13, released Aug 14.

Never give up, people!

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Fastest ever from received to in progress....7 hours. So begins the waiting game!

This genre is erotica. My first time subing erotica to them.

I don't think they publish erotica, do they? They certainly used to have a note in the submission guidelines stating that they didn't. Erotic romance, yes, though I don't know whether there's a limit to how steamy that goes. The Brazens I've read aren't all that steamy. But unless something's changed that I didn't notice, I don't think they'll take erotica.

ETA: I just checked the submission page for Brazen:
  • High heat level. Brazen books are steamy and should contain 5+ sex or sexual scenes. We do not publish erotica or straight erotic romance (see trope requirements below), but explicit sex scenes and erotic elements/kinks organic to the characters’ sexual tastes are musts. Menage is allowed on a case-by-case basis, provided the HEA only involves the two main characters.

Elsewhere it repeats the line about not publishing erotic romance, too. Sorry.

Last edited:

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they publish erotica, do they? They certainly used to have a note in the submission guidelines stating that they didn't. Erotic romance, yes, though I don't know whether there's a limit to how steamy that goes. The Brazens I've read aren't all that steamy. But unless something's changed that I didn't notice, I don't think they'll take erotica.

ETA: I just checked the submission page for Brazen:

[/B]Elsewhere it repeats the line about not publishing erotic romance, too. Sorry.

Yeah they switched the line I submitted to, but no no yet. Hopefully it's not too steamy for them. They're at least reading it right? For no insta no right? I can keep holding my breath and keep up my authorly hopes and dreams????

Last edited:

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Yeah they switched the line I submitted to, but no no yet. Hopefully it's not too steamy for them. They're at least reading it right? For no insta no right? I can keep holding my breath and keep up my authorly hopes and dreams????

If someone switched the line, then they've definitely read at least the query letter. ;)

adding a general note for any new submitters reading this thread...

Opening a submission to read it does not change the status. That's just how Submittable works. So there can be instances of a submission being reviewed yet the status remains "new/received" and the submitter won't know anything is happening until they receive a response. If that response is a rejection, I can see why authors might assume their submission was not read first. But we do review every submission before we send a response. :)

Last edited:

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
If someone switched the line, then they've definitely read at least the query letter. ;)

adding a general note for any new submitters reading this thread...

Opening a submission to read it does not change the status. That's just how Submittable works. So there can be instances of a submission being reviewed yet the status remains "new/received" and the submitter won't know anything is happening until they receive a response. If that response is a rejection, I can see why authors might assume their submission was not read first. But we do review every submission before we send a response. :)

Soooooo I can keep my fingers crossed?????? 😄

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com

I don't think the difference between erotica and romance is just the heat level. They're two separate genres. But maybe you're using the term more loosely than that.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if Entangled's Lovestruck imprint publishes M/M?
The website states that the Brazen imprint does, but doesn't mention it on the Lovestruck page.

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the difference between erotica and romance is just the heat level. They're two separate genres. But maybe you're using the term more loosely than that.

It is entirely possible I am.

Hmmm...now that I'm digging a bit deeper than I had perhaps it is more erotic romance.

I always assumed from reading around that because of the heat level and amount of sex, and how graphic I got it was erotica. But the sex isn't the central plot. The developing love story is and there is a hea. So I suppose it is more erotic romance after all.

Cannelle

Registered
Reaction score
Status changed from Received to In Progress in less than twenty four hours! The waiting game begins.

This was for a novel I wrote and finished over a year ago and only sent out to a handful of agents before I stopped. If they like it, sweet! If not, I've made my peace with it, so either way, it's good. :) Fingers crossed for everyone here!

LeaveMeBroken

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if Entangled's Lovestruck imprint publishes M/M?
The website states that the Brazen imprint does, but doesn't mention it on the Lovestruck page.

We consider M/M across all imprints provided the sexual orientation of the characters isn't an "issue" in the story. As always, be sure anything you submit to one of our category romance imprints is trope-driven.

Best of luck!

LeaveMeBroken

Registered
Reaction score
It is entirely possible I am.

Hmmm...now that I'm digging a bit deeper than I had perhaps it is more erotic romance.

I always assumed from reading around that because of the heat level and amount of sex, and how graphic I got it was erotica. But the sex isn't the central plot. The developing love story is and there is a hea. So I suppose it is more erotic romance after all.

Heat level isn't the determining factor between erotica and erotic romance. As you've uncovered, it's whether the focus of your story is the romance or the sex.

Beyond that, there's a difference between erotic romance and erotic category romance. Keep in mind that any book submitted to our category romance imprints (Brazen, Indulgence, Lovestruck, Covet, etc. - basically everything but Teen and Select, which are single-title) has to be driven by tropes. Think best friends to lovers, mistaken identity, forced proximity, enemies to lovers, older brother's best friend, fake engagement, etc. If we don't see at least two, preferably three, tropes driving your romantic conflict, we'll move it to the Select imprint for consideration. Make sure you're familiar with the imprint guidelines before you submit.

Best of luck!

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
We consider M/M across all imprints provided the sexual orientation of the characters isn't an "issue" in the story. As always, be sure anything you submit to one of our category romance imprints is trope-driven.

Best of luck!
Excellent.
Thanks so much for answering!

Le Mole

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all you ladies (and gents) subbing to Entangled. I have followed this loop for a long time wanting to speak out to inform you that it isn’t all roses there. There are a significant number of authors there who are extremely unhappy but speaking out, even in the mildest of terms, results in public slap-downs. Control is everything to them, but the control is NOT with the author.
The story that is submitted and accepted is nothing like the book that is eventually published. They are chasing the 18-30 demographic and there’s a whole host of no-nos when it comes to what they deem acceptable, and it isn’t solely about ‘no cheating.’ Everything is sanitised. Everything. Tropes rule the day there – if you haven’t got enough then they will demand you add more, whether it’s good for your story or not. Then there are things that the people up high personally dislike in books so if your book has any of those in them you will be expected to remove them - note, it isn't because of what's best for your book but because someone up high doesn't like it. Expect to do major revisions at least twice, where your story will be turned inside out and likely as not rewritten. I know of two authors who each had 4,000 comments from their editors in their edits. After you have slaved over your edits (incidentally, expect to wait for months before you hear from your editor and then be given an impossibly tight deadline), it will then go to what is known as QA, the part where your book is looked at to make sure it flows properly and to catch any last minute inconsistencies. Expect to do a further major rewrite at this stage too. If you’re still with the same editor by this point, then congratulations. They drop like flies there and each new editor you’re given will have a new ‘vision’ for your book and expect you to write accordingly. You have a release date? Congratulations again – but don’t organise any publicity for it too far in advance as it will likely change, probably a number of times. And if you complain? Then it will be your fault for not writing a good enough book in the first place, even if by then you’ve been through four different editors with their four different visions. But don’t bother complaining. It is ALWAYS the author’s fault. Always. Accept that.
On the money side of it, I know a few months ago someone here cited Show Me the Money for the figures an Entangled author can expect to earn. The $500K banded on the site was earned by one author. One. I know a few authors writing for the Brazen line have earned five figure royalties but the vast majority of authors there earn a pittance. Some authors do well, I am not disputing that. The majority do not.
I have never written for such an unprofessional organisation. I am not telling you not to submit to them. I’m certain they must have authors who are very happy with them, it’s just that I have yet to meet any of them and I’ve been with them for over two years. If you’re going to submit to them, my only wish is that you do it with your eyes open.

Last edited:

MaryL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marylindsey.com
I'm an Entangled author and have had an excellent experience with both ebook and print.

I'm also published with a big 5 publisher.

While my experiences with both publishers have had their down sides, I can tell you that the editorial process is much the same. While no author wants to be told his/her book needs major changes in order to fit the line or a publisher's perceived industry standards, it's part of the business. I made huge changes for editors at my big 5 publisher and Entangled. The requests were delivered in very much the same way and on similar schedules.

Turnover in this business is ridiculous in all houses. Huge publishers and small alike have personnel changes. Entangled has grown very fast and perhaps that accounts for some of the turnover. I can't speak to that.

What I can speak to is only my own experience. I have friends with big 5 publishers who are miserable. I have friends at small presses who are miserable--often for the same reasons. Authors often feel low on the totem pole (for good reason), and not in control of their work or success. This is universal. I feel no more helpless with Entangled than I do with my big 5 publisher.

Despite the feeling of helplessness, which I firmly believe is the nature of the business, I am thrilled with the editorial talent in both houses. Entangled put me through four rounds of edits, and then, I got kicked back out at Q&A and went through several more rounds, then copyedits and proofing.

Exactly the same routine I went through with my big 5 publisher including multiple editors.

I'm glad they kept making me change things. The book is so much better. It is category romance, and just like with category lines at Harlequin, it is a trope-driven genre.

I write for a living, and just like any other job I've had, I try to keep myself at arm's length from the project, while keeping it my own.

If I ever write a book I'm not willing to change dramatically, I will self-publish it. In today's market (unlike when I began), an author can put out the book of his or her heart exactly as it is written and have success. It is so great to be working in this business at a time when we can control every aspect of the project and make money doing it. That said, if I choose to publish with traditional publishers instead, I'm going to have to be willing to play by their rules in order to benefit from their platforms and reputations.

Now, I'm not saying that people don't have awful experiences. Clearly, Le Mole did. It happens at every publisher. My own experiences at both Entangled and Penguin have been excellent.

I am in no way trying to demean or refute Le Mole's personal experience. And I agree that you should go in with you're eyes open. I think this is true of any publisher, job, relationship, whatnot. I just want to convey that there are two sides of this coin and everyone has a different experience. Mine just happens to be positive.

demelza

Registered
Reaction score
Overall, my experience with Entangled has been very positive, but I think Le Mole has raised some valid points. I've had editorial suggestions (from a senior editor) that IMO were so sweeping that it would have required me to write an entirely new story. Fortunately, I didn't have to do that, although I experienced plenty of angst and stress at having to say no. Aside from that, my editor is fantastic, I've learnt a great deal, and I hope to keep working with her for a long time.

Like Le Mole, I've also had trouble pinning down release dates and not hearing from my editors for months before suddenly having the edits appear in my inbox and needing to do them in a hurry. Other established digital publishers I've worked with do seem to have this process more organized.

Regarding tropes, Entangled is quite upfront about this in the submission guidelines for their category lines. I'm happy with that. I'm also happy with the excellent marketing they provide and their willingness to adapt to a changing market.

On the money issue, I'm definitely not making a motza, but I earn far more from Entangled than my other publishers.

Entangled isn't for every author, and they certainly aren't perfect, but I'd still recommend them as long as you know what to expect.

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. It's good to hear from some authors who have published with them. I'm still waiting to get my R&R back so I can see what kind of revisions they're wanting, but I'm excited by the possibility of working with them.

Le Mole

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mary and Demelza

I’m really glad you’ve had a good experience with them and you do make some valid points – there are definitely authors at small and large presses alike who are miserable with what they’re having to put up with. However, the reason I wrote my post in the first place was because there are so many authors at Entangled who are unhappy – and my private inbox since my original post is certainly testament to this.

I’m also multi-published with one of the ‘big’ publishers and my experience with them is markedly different (as are all the other authors I know who write for them). For a start, I am treated with respect. And yes, all publishers – all businesses – have staff turnover, but working with four editors on one book is not normal. I’ve worked with the same editor at my other publishing house on five books and in all that time have known one other editor to leave. Also, my editor is trained well enough to know exactly what fits the line requirements so the issue of QA never arises – her edits are trusted. And when she says she will be in touch in a fortnight, then she is in touch in a fortnight – one of my Entangled editor’s said a fortnight and three months later I was still waiting.

Yes, I have submitted books and have had to rewrite sections of them but wholesale changes that require the whole book to be rewritten, not once but numerous times? That begs the question of why that book was brought in the first place. Also, if a book is going through endless rewrites with endless editorial comments picking over every single line, eventually the joy of writing is sucked out and the author’s voice is smothered into nothing.

And finally, the tropes – yes, they’re upfront about them, but the most important aspect about romance books, whether category or single title, is that they are character and conflict led – how can an editor insisting a new trope be added at the third round of revisions, simply because it’s been deemed that the story doesn’t have enough tropes, possibly be in the best interest of the story?

demelza

Registered
Reaction score
one of my Entangled editor’s said a fortnight and three months later I was still waiting.

Yes, this happens to me quite often. It's definitely frustrating.

Yes, I have submitted books and have had to rewrite sections of them but wholesale changes that require the whole book to be rewritten, not once but numerous times? That begs the question of why that book was brought in the first place. Also, if a book is going through endless rewrites with endless editorial comments picking over every single line, eventually the joy of writing is sucked out and the author’s voice is smothered into nothing.

I totally agree. If you are happy with the story submitted and accepted by the publisher, then it can be demoralizing to see it become something quite different. However, if the rewrites make the story stronger, then I'm prepared to do the hard work. But it can be a difficult thing to judge when you're drowning in edits.

EKWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't published with Entangled, but I have been on sub to them for almost a year, and I've more or less written them off because of many of the reasons Mole listed. Every time I follow up, I get the same "haven't forgotten you, it'll be a couple more weeks!" response. The last time I talked to someone, she misspelled my name twice, had no clue what I had submitted or when, and seemed to think I had inquired about a recent open call.

I don't expect Entangled, or any publisher for that matter, to respond right away to every little thing, and hey, it's not like I've never flaked on something before, but the whole experience was rather unprofessional.

And I'd be lying if it didn't cross my mind if this is what it would be like if I were an Entangled author with a question about my royalty statement.