• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

IndieReader Author Serivces / IndieReader Discovery Awards

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone have recent experience with IndieReader reviews, now that they're no longer charging? The awards thing still sounds like a scam, but I'm considering sending them a review copy of my book.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They found they couldn't charge people for listings, turned into a blog and charged for reviews. They found the couldn't charge for reviews and added on a contest where you pay the same amount to guarantee a review and be in for a chance to get some kind of honorary kudos.

I don't see that as evidence of a super-successful business model. But if you want to send out review copies, you could include them I guess. Pagerank of 5, FWIW. They may have backed into being a pretty good blog.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Following up, in case anyone else is interested. I received a response to my submission of a review copy that basically said they'd let me know if it was selected for review (no timeline mentioned). The rest of the message was a push to enter their awards program, as may be expected.

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
Following up, in case anyone else is interested. I received a response to my submission of a review copy that basically said they'd let me know if it was selected for review (no timeline mentioned). The rest of the message was a push to enter their awards program, as may be expected.

I got that email too. And today I received this:
Hi,
We hear you. You’re tired of waiting and you want a guaranteed book review. So based on the number of books that we receive and don’t have time to review, IndieReader has decided to begin charging $100 per book review (you can sign up here…
http://indiereader.com/author-promotional-opportunities/
).
Reviews will be at least 300 words and will receive a rating from zero to five stars. Please note that IR does not guarantee a positive review.
In addition to IndieReader, reviews will be posted on Amazon and iDreamBooks, a discoverability site that aggregates professional book reviews (think Rotten Tomatoes). IndieReader curates a list of self-published book reviews for idreambooks and joins reviewed book lists from The New York Times and NPR. A positive review from IndieReader could also mean further exposure via IR’s publishing partners, USA Today and The Huffington Post.
As previously suggested, you also might be interested in entering the 2014 “IndieReader Discovery Awards” (IRDAs), where undiscovered talent meets people with the power to make a difference, which also comes with a review.
We are accepting sign-ups for 2014, with an early bird discount of 20% (enter the code 20offreg when prompted).You can find more info about the IRDAs here…
http://indiereader.com/the-indiereader-discovery-awards-welcome/
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Charlatans.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
IndieReader has decided to begin charging $100 per book review (you can sign up here…

A waste of time and money, and their reviews are forever tainted and rendered worthless. Good going, guys.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Yeah, I have a question: What were you thinking?

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
*sigh* Looks like everyone is out to make money nowadays. Vanity presses, paid reviews, having to pay to get your query read quicker, etc. If I made $100 for every review I wrote (not that I'd ever want to), I'd be swimming in a pile of money by now. First Kirkus charges for indie reviews, now the IndieReader...what's next?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indiereader started out as 100% pay-to-pay and has actually moved towards offering at least some rather useful reviews for free. So I would say they have actually moved sharpy towards having some legitimacy, not the reverse. Color me surprised.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Ah.

That BS about expensive expedited reviews has become depressingly close to the norm for outfits that specialized in self-published vic...authors. You can buy a variety of ebooks etc with step by step instructions about how to set up a for-profit review website.

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
There are NO free reviews now. They charge $100. And I doubt there ever were free reviews. It seems like the intention was always to upsell and get you to enter their ridiculous competition.

TheAveragePerson

Registered
Reaction score
About their competition (The IRDA) ...

I've communicated with Amy directly about this and I can state that any book receiving less than a four star review rating is immediately cut from the competition. Your book is judged within its sub category by your reviewer at the review stage. The much touted panel of judges do not get involved in the judging process until the sub category winners are decided. To do that, you realistically need to get a 5 star review rating. This is of course totally backwards. The judges are merely one of the prizes for winning.

From the IRDA page: "The winners from each sub-category (in addition to the top winners), will also receive [...] exposure to a panel of judges who can make a difference in your book’s success." They should be referred to as Guest Readers that might read a few books from the list of winners. As backwards as this sounds, it still fits with what is stated on the woefully misleading, but not technically wrong IRDA FAQ:

"Will all those impressive judges actually be reading submitted books?

Every one of our judges have agreed to read–and judge–submitted books. ..."

Not EVERY submitted book and not necessarily YOUR submitted book. The correct question and answer should have been:

"By entering, will my submitted book be read by any of those impressive judges?

No. Not unless it wins its sub category."

Not many people would enter if they knew that. At the most, these 'judges' have a hand in deciding the overall winner of the IRDA from the field of category winners. But the reality for the vast majority of entrants is that they will have paid an extra $50 and received nothing back in return, apart from a long shot hope that someone other than an IR staffer will so much as glance at it.