• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Blog network] Storylane

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
So. I tried a search and found nothing on here. Google's giving me pr articles, for the most part. And I'm not sure if this should go here or in blogging/social networking and I'll explain why, so mods feel free to move.

The why is Storylane's actually another site where you can post and read others' stories-but in this case it's personal life stories. (Actually, under the writings category one of the prompts is to "write an awesome short story.") Soooooo, hmmm. They're publishing short stories too.

Anyway, a pseudonym of mine rec'd the below email. What was interesting is this pseudo has no blog. They must have gotten the email from a book.

Of course my pseudo signed up to check it out. In theory, it's very cool. You share stories. There's categories for topics and ques you can answer w your story. And there's some intriguing life stories and ques.

But what I cared about was my content, how I'd be offering it for free, and who gets to own it if I do. So if you dig, and you had to dig a bit, you can find the about us. If you scroll down there's a whole section about rights, and if I'm reading it correctly, it's all about how you're waving them bye-bye.

Curious to see what others think and have heard or exp'd (if you've tried it).

Email:

Hi!

I have been working for a while on Storylane, a product that I believe a blog owner like you will appreciate. Storylane works like a blogging platform but is social from the ground up. Your content can be categorized by you and then discovered by our fast growing community. Storylane can breathe new life into the content you created for your old blog and hopefully connect you with people, places, and ideas that can add value and meaning to your life.

Would you like to give us a try? join us here and add a story or two (feel free to use stories that are already on your blog)

Best,

Jonathan Gheller
CEO Storylane

Gheller is founder of Fashmatch, a fashion shop/search site. Here's the about page on his old blog.

link at mashable for a basic pr release.

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I'm not exactly sure what your real question is about the site, but I can say that no one here would be able to tell you what rights they are asking for without seeing the terms of usage. And because it seems you need to sign up with the place to see that, it might be better if you simply posted them here if that's your question.

I will say that any blogging platform will ask for a huge amount of rights including rights to publish, modify, etc.

They have to otherwise they wouldn't be able to publish your post on their site.

Whether or not they take too much would be the devil in the details.

The website address is http://www.storylane.com/ for anyone interested.

(I agree this probably goes in the social networking/blogging subforum.)

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what your real question is about the site, but I can say that no one here would be able to tell you what rights they are asking for without seeing the terms of usage.

My ques was -"curious to see what others think, heard, or exp'd". I couldn't find much about them and was interested in feedback and others experiences, positive or negative.

I can post the rights, but I'm not questioning them. And I won't be participating because of them. I, personally, have issues w sites like this. But I haven't heard anything negative about this site, either.

And I'm still not sure what board this should be on-I'll leave it to the mods. It's not exactly blogging. People are posting fiction and life stories. But there's a social aspect to it, sure. People give feedback, etc. So, I don't know.

Not sure how much to post. So some snips from the terms of service under rights:

You retain your rights to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through the Services, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed).

You agree that this license includes the right for Mixtent Inc Properties to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals who partner with Mixtent Inc Properties for the syndication, broadcast, distribution or publication of such Content on other media and services, subject to our terms and conditions for such Content use. Third Party Service Providers

Product and service offerings made available for purchase by you on the Services are made and offered directly by the applicable third party service provider. When you purchase any such product or service offering through the Services, you acknowledge that you are contracting directly with the applicable third party service provider and not with us[snip]

We may modify or adapt your Content in order to transmit, display or distribute it over computer networks and in various media and/or make changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to any requirements or limitations of any networks, devices, services or media.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I got that email, too. I just deleted it; more of the "I love your blog, how's about if I post content on it for you?" crap that proves they have never actually looked at my website.

That Rights TOS looks not-great to me--I'm generally uncomfortable with any "contract" that says they can modify my content without my approval--and I don't see what possible reason anyone would have for posting content on this site or what possible benefit there could be.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
That Rights TOS looks not-great to me--I'm generally uncomfortable with any "contract" that says they can modify my content without my approval--and I don't see what possible reason anyone would have for posting content on this site or what possible benefit there could be.

Here's Google's TOU for Blogger:

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

Social networks and blog networks tend to ask for those rights to cover future modifications to the website, RSS feeds and other pretty standard web stuff.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yes, but I guess I see it as a different thing when you post your own content on your own blog, and when you send it to someone else to post on theirs with your name on it (it's my understanding that that is what Storylane is asking you to do).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Acquired by FB in March '13. (Cache of official announcement. Mashable's coverage.)