• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Collaborative] Neovella

herderp

Registered
Reaction score
http://neovella.com claims that top ranking stories will be published through Amazon Singles and authors will get paid royalties. Does it look okay to use?

Deleted member 42

No. The terms strike me as dicey.

And you could do this on your own, frankly, and not share any revenue.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I can't find the link, but: a few days ago the gang at metafilter.com called them on their TOS, and they replied that they're working on it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting comment:

Can you really modify TOS that easily without user consent/knowledge? I'm not complaining about the change, but lets say this process went in reverse. Like, after collecting a lot of cool content, you suddenly insert clause 9 again and poof, all the content are belong to you?

herderp

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. Hmm... I read through the thread and I'm not sure that there's any malicious intent - they updated the TOS and seem pretty responsive to user feedback.

Meanwhile, I've been giving Smashwords and Lulu a go - I love 'em both! Hopefully neovella can iron out this stuff in the early going and become another option.

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score

Just jumping in to clarify that the above isn't the Kindle Singles program. It's just the regular Kindle Direct Publishing.

KDP gives an author 35% royalty for work priced between .99 and 2.98. The Kindle Singles program, from what I've read, gives an author 70% for work in that price range.

The thing is, one must submit their work for consideration. Something about curating editors. Makes me wonder about this neovella thing. Do they have a deal with Amazon so their stuff is automatically accepted, or do they just assume the work will get in?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity since '11.