YA books being made into films

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
The way you guys are describing Patch makes me want to read HUSH HUSH and pretend it's a horror novel.

I honestly think it should have been one. Then at least we could pretend Nora was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and not just a completely clueless, lacking self-esteem, common senseless, he-follows-me-and-stalks-me-and-throws-me-against-walls-and-puts-a-knife-to-my-throat-but-OMG-he-loves-me-and-is-SO-HOT-because-he's-an-angel, idiot.

When I was 15, I had a boyfriend who slammed me against a wall by my throat and let me tell you...there was NOTHING sexy or hot about it. NOTHING. It was scary. And I ran. And I never looked back. Being abused under any circumstances is NEVER EVER EVER okay or hot or sexy or forgivable. It just isn't. And making teens (or anyone) think that a person who displays that kind of behavior is in any way sexy...

Gah! Let me stop.

Carry on, people. Carry on. If you must. *sigh*

Last edited:

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Movies coming from books is no new thing. It's been going on forever, and the recent trend in YA movies is merely a continuation of a trend that's been going on for a very long time. I guess what makes it "new" is the fact that YA lit being a big thing is a relatively new occurrence. Back in my day, the line between YA, MG and adult lit was much less defined. Series I grew up with like the animorphs, which would likely be labeled YA if they came out now, where shelved with MG and indeed elementary school is when I started picking them up.

As far as I recall, they really didn't have a "YA" section at bookstores when I was growing up...it was either lumped in with the MG or adult lit, depending on how "mature" it was....and this was not too long ago, either. I'm talking about the 90s-very early 2000s, here. Seeing that, I think the "trend" towards YA movies is really just a continuation of the long-standing tradition to turn good books into movies....it's just that YA is now finally getting respect and definition as a genera and as a result your seeing more YA books getting turned into movies alongside movies inspired by non-YA books.

As for my own work, quite frankly I'd not want to see any of it turned into a movie unless it was an animated film with anime style art(or at least CG that looked vaguely anime-esc alla many JRPGs like Final Fantasy). Reason being I can't imagine my characters ever looking like normal, realistic people with their crazy-styled, technicolor "anime hair" and outrageous science-fantasy outfits. Of course, if I ever did get anything published, chances are if by some miracle somebody wanted to make it into a movie that film would pretty much have to be an animated feature as the budget for the CG that would be needed to render my settings and over the top magical powers would be too pricey for a film based on the work of a debut/relatively unknown author.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
AW has completely scared me away from reading HUSH, HUSH.

This is sort of a derail, but have you guys seen Red Band Society? It's not a YA book, though some might say it's sort of a ripoff of the TFIOS-type stuff. I'm bothered by the show, though. It's a bunch of teens dealing with some really heavy issues...except that it's not, because it's totally about how these teens with massive health issues are just having a good time and worried about kissing each other and driving cars around and sneaking beers at the hospital and whatever. The girl who is supposed to be anorexic is gorgeous and in a love triangle and doesn't look anything like anorexics who need hospitalization.

spieles

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard of the Red Band Society, and the review I read (on EW maybe?) said what you are saying. When asked about being the show being dark, the producer said "Season 1 won't have a body count" but I think that's kind of a copout in some ways?

Ugh, and the beautiful anorexic really bothers me. It reinforces images that young girls don't need.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen the trailers for Red Band Society, but from the moment I saw the first trailers I knew it would be a watered-down, sanitized version of TFIOS drawing mainly on Glee for its tone and style. It looks awful :(

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
It's super fluffy, and it's a shame because it could be a cute show if it didn't completely minimalize and trivialize pretty serious issues (to the point where it's sort of glamourizing stuff. I mean, hey, if I can go screw around all day at this hospital that's basically like a rich-person retreat, then I totally want cancer or lungs that don't work). To basically show a girl who doesn't eat and have her act like a normal, healthy person... Ugh.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
When I first saw the trailers for The Red Band Society, I thought it might be good, but after reading some reviews and seeing other clips, I decided it was too fluffy and pretty and unrealistic. I haven't watched an episode and probably won't. And I might be missing something, but having the cast with an assortment of different diagnoses basically live in the hospital seems strange.

Sounds like it's pretty awfully written. I wish more shows would portray serious issues like anorexia or cancer more realistically.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
We have another YA adaptation coming out in the UK on Friday - Trash, based on Andy Mulligan's novel, which I read when it was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal in 2012.

It's interesting to see films based on YA novels aimed at older teens turning up in cinemas without being noticeably toned down: Trash has a UK 15 certificate, as the film of How I Live Now has. Most YAs-to-films have ended up with a 12A: e.g. Twilight, Hunger Games, The Fault in Our Stars etc.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I'm currently reading THE QUEEN OF THE TEARLING. Does anyone know if the movie is still being made? It's listed as 'In development' on IMDb, but there's no mention of it on producer David Heyman's IMDb page or on Emma Watson's.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm kind of sort of holding my breath waiting for the movie of ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES. Cannot. Wait!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I've been seeing a lot of gushing for the adaptation of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl that played at Sundance this weekend. It's already got a $12 million bid if I'm not mistaken. SUPER curious to watch it now.

And I'm reeeeallly curious about The Duff coming out soon! But there's no Dutch release, I think. :/

(I share an editor/publisher with M&E&tDG, but don't know the author. I am good friends with the author of The Duff though.)

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
The Duff looks like it's going to be such a fun movie. Way different from the book, but it looks like they're sticking with the theme of the book, so that's okay. I've been waiting for a fun, non-dramatic teen movie for years. You could technically count Pitch Perfect, but I think it's going to be nice to have a High School Comedy on the silver screen again.

I finally managed to watch Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red #2) and it was decent enough. I just felt like it was trying a little too hard to live up to Hollywood standards.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
We have another YA adaptation coming out in the UK on Friday - Trash, based on Andy Mulligan's novel, which I read when it was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal in 2012.

It's interesting to see films based on YA novels aimed at older teens turning up in cinemas without being noticeably toned down: Trash has a UK 15 certificate, as the film of How I Live Now has. Most YAs-to-films have ended up with a 12A: e.g. Twilight, Hunger Games, The Fault in Our Stars etc.

Trash was reviewed on Film 2015 last night and received favourable reviews (Claudia's husband was a producer for the film so she wasn't allowed to comment, lol). It was only towards the end of the segment that I twigged this was the film you'd mentioned in this thread. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Curious to see how The Duff will do as a movie. I enjoyed the book but the movie looks so different!

And yes, KTC can't wait for All the Bright Places movie! Elle Fanning is so Violet to me :)

Just read Me And Earl And The Dying Girl. I'm curious how a movie version of it would pull off. So much of it is in Greg's head but I guess there could be a lot of voiceover? Hmmmm

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I love Mae Whitman and The Duff looks great, on her merits alone. I haven't read it yet, I'm a big swayer of "Oh it's being made into a movie? I'll check that out first" and then read the books... contemps not really my style but it looks and sounds great.

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I finally managed to watch Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red #2) and it was decent enough. I just felt like it was trying a little too hard to live up to Hollywood standards.

OMG. They made the second movie already? Under what rock
am I living! :e2faint::e2faint::e2faint:Loved the first, so I'll have to look
into it tomorrow! Thanks for the heads-up! :D :hooray::D

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my lord, I've been so happy since watching the latest episode of The 100. Bisexual YA characters making out on-screen in a not-oversexualized way? Yes, more of that please.

2060390-i_like_it.jpg

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Curious to see how The Duff will do as a movie. I enjoyed the book but the movie looks so different!

Fifth at the US box office with a $11 million opening weekend. Out in the UK on 10 April. It has a PG-13 rating in the USA - the BBFC haven't passed it yet for the UK, but the MPAA's description ("crude and sexual material throughout, some language and teen partying") makes it sound more like a 15 than a 12A. We'll see.

I have read the book and Kody Keplinger's next one, Shut Out. Have A Midsummer Nightmare in the TBR pile but haven't got to it yet. She apparently has a cameo in the movie.

For those who don't know, she used to post on AW as Blind Writer, before she sold this novel, which she did when she was seventeen.

Last edited:

Julia Joy

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like progress is being made on the City of Bones TV pilot. This casting call says it's attached to ABC Family and has been ordered straight to series. It was posted to Craigslist, but the names of the creative team all check out, so I assume it's true.

Link @ Fangirlish.

saelyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaitlynsagepatterson.com
I was SO disappointed in The DUFF. I love, love, loved the book. It was gritty and dark and realistic and the movie just ripped out all of the stuff that I loved about the book. I know that some of it would have made it tough to get that PG-13 rating, but it certainly could have tried a little harder. Disappointed.