I think I accidently wrote an abusive relationship

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
So there's the YA book made into movie thread that's getting into a serious discussion regarding the whole, "rapey male LI's are bad for the genre and setting standards for girls who are reading these books and it's damaging to them in the future". The first book in question. HUSH HUSH. Now, I didn't pick up on a lot of the rapeyness of it. He stepped over the line and had some anger issues, but it was the first YA book that got me back into the genre so maybe I'm a bit biased... Edward from TWILIGHT, total creep nation.

Then I started thinking about my book, and how the (main) LI to my MC can be a bit... angry at times. Setting the stage for the situation, a group of kids have lived in a facility for a decade, tweaked and manipulated to have elemental super powers. The LI MC controls fire. So OBVIOUSLY I go the route of being the total hothead. He's got anger issues, he's been aware of the secrets and the lies longer than the others, so he rebels against the company and fights for control and leadership. He's quick to kill the NPC guards and even fights with the third leg of the love triangle, the gentle giant type. He's rude, mouthy, arrogant, but gets his ass handed to him a couple times. He calls my MC stupid and a moron sometimes, but he does that with everyone.. it's usually a moment of frustration.

Reading that thread though, I started to reevaluate my story and wondered... Oh my God, have I accidently made an abusive relationship? I mean, my MC is fairly complacent with things and the facility in the beginning, and comes into her own by being the leader they need and confronting her demons.. she doesn't just lie down like a dog and take whatever he dishes out like other female MC's have been accused of being weak in that sort of situation.

But his personality, who he is, what's shaped him, is why he is the way he is and in book 2 when they're outside in the world, my MC starts to ground him and things definitely start to turn around. Book 1 is pretty devoid of physical closeness but there are moments that start to set up the emotional bond that tightens them in book 2.

And me personally? I've been in a very loving relationship for almost 4 years now. Nothing that started out with him being a bad boy and super dangerous and I wanted to change him. Just a normal guy and a normal girl who started hanging out and grew to like each other. My two previous relationships? Very much the same way. No bad boy who are picking fights with guys because they even looked at me because they're jealous and overprotective.. just some regular Joe's.

Is it possible, and I'm in NO WAY trying to justify any of the bad messages in these books (Hush Hush, Twilight, 50SoG)... that these women are writing about the idea of this guy who's arrogant, heated and passionate, but forgetting to follow through with the change they claim he goes through in the end? Is it possible that they're not at all aware of the abusive relationship they've written?

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, if a book describes their male MC as a bad boy, it's a turn-off for me. But that's just me. I personally love it when characters in a book have dark sides or major flaws, so none of what you describe is off-putting for me, but I hate the generic bad boy descriptor used in blurbs. I also hate the idea of one character changes another, but it can be done well I guess. In my own current series, my male LI seems downright perfect in book one. In book 2 we see that he has anger issues. I don't want him to seem abusive, or make it seem like I condone abuse, but show complex characters in complex situations. I do think we have a duty to write stories that don't give girls unrealistic expectations about love. I know the romance novels I read at a too-young-age colored my idea of what a relationship should be like in my early years. And not in a good way. Some of these authors may be living out some fantasies they themselves have. I guess we all are in a way. I would guess they don't see them as abusive because they are focusing on the fantasy of it, not the reality. So yes, I think it's very possible to write an abusive relationship and not realize it. It's like being in an abusive relationship. You're (the writer) too close to the situation to see how unhealthy it is.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
He can be a hothead and it can not be abusive. It's all in how you write it. But in my personal opinion if he's being verbally insulting to your female MC, I hope she calls him out on it and he learns some very important lessons before they start getting down to business.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Please read up on signs of an abusive relationship. It's impossible to tell whether he's abusive or just a jerk from your description.

And anyway, why did the fire guy have to be a hothead?

Ahh! Very helpful, thank you.

I've gone the way of the cliche with a few of them; the hotheaded guy who controls fire; the loveable amicable girl with the bright blonde hair who controls lightning; the frigid bitch who controls ice... Some cliches are hard to break. Not that I fought that hard.

He can be a hothead and it can not be abusive. It's all in how you write it. But in my personal opinion if he's being verbally insulting to your female MC, I hope she calls him out on it and he learns some very important lessons before they start getting down to business.

She does eventually. Due to their containment she just figured it was him behind him but as the stakes gets higher she starts asking for a bit of respect from him and he cools his jets.

Personally, if a book describes their male MC as a bad boy, it's a turn-off for me. But that's just me. I personally love it when characters in a book have dark sides or major flaws, so none of what you describe is off-putting for me, but I hate the generic bad boy descriptor used in blurbs. I also hate the idea of one character changes another, but it can be done well I guess. In my own current series, my male LI seems downright perfect in book one. In book 2 we see that he has anger issues. I don't want him to seem abusive, or make it seem like I condone abuse, but show complex characters in complex situations. I do think we have a duty to write stories that don't give girls unrealistic expectations about love. I know the romance novels I read at a too-young-age colored my idea of what a relationship should be like in my early years. And not in a good way. Some of these authors may be living out some fantasies they themselves have. I guess we all are in a way. I would guess they don't see them as abusive because they are focusing on the fantasy of it, not the reality. So yes, I think it's very possible to write an abusive relationship and not realize it. It's like being in an abusive relationship. You're (the writer) too close to the situation to see how unhealthy it is.

Yeah exactly. And I haven't been around and personally witnessed anyone going through an abusive relationship, so other than the (obvious) problems of a few books and just what's on TV/movies, I never saw how a portrayal played out with the bad boy and the girl who wanted to change him but he ended up changing her for the worse. As soon as the discussion deepened in the aforementioned thread, I knew I needed to throw out my concern and draw a flag to it, so that I'd be able to nip anything in the bud.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, there's nothing wrong with writing about a dysfunctional, even abusive, romantic relationship, as long as you realize what you're doing.

Personally, I think dysfunctional relationships are much more interesting to read about.

What's problematic is when the author writes such a relationship and seems to think it's perfectly idyllic and healthy.

(IMO, it's fine if the characters think it is, but something in the narrative has to subvert that so we readers don't think the author is cuckoo.)

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Niiicola (and everyone) said it well. I hope your MC stands up to him, and if she falls for him, I hope it's because he's a nuanced character with redemptive qualities, not because he's a hothead and she's hoping to reach the gooey, loveable center of his flames.

In addition, for his sake, I hope he changes because he's learned how to take ownership of his actions and develop a strong, respectful character on his own, not because a cute girl told him to.

Like kuwi, I love to read a dysfunctional relationship. It's just important to be aware of what point you're trying to make, or why you've written the relationship this particular way--since what you're writing might change someone's life. Seems like you're already on the right path :).

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
A hot head who blows off steam may be healthier than the person who keeps it in and blows someone's head off. My folks have been married 50 years, they always fought when my Dad had a bad day at work. They fought about overcooked steak. My brother and I avoided him those days. It was all letting off steam. Nothing abusive.

However, insulting a steak isn't the same as insulting the person who made it. If she understands it's not about her being stupid because he's just frustrated with the world, moving on may make sense. No reason to rile him up further in the moment. If she takes it personally and doesn't say anything, even after he's calmed down, that's a problem. It's all about how she perceives it, where her lines are, and how she reacts if he crosses one.

When she calls him out does he get defensive or take her seriously? Normal people fight. Healthy relationships contain conflict. Abuse is something else.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
IMO, there's nothing wrong with writing about a dysfunctional, even abusive, romantic relationship, as long as you realize what you're doing.

Personally, I think dysfunctional relationships are much more interesting to read about.

What's problematic is when the author writes such a relationship and seems to think it's perfectly idyllic and healthy.

(IMO, it's fine if the characters think it is, but something in the narrative has to subvert that so we readers don't think the author is cuckoo.)

Kuwidelu summed up my feelings exactly. Writing about anger and lashing out and abuse, etc is fine as long as it's not portrayed as healthy. It's when abusive/obsessive, etc relationships are portrayed as an ideal then it's a problem. If your characters are acknowledging it and dealing with it and growing, then that's completely different. And if you're not sure, then that's when beta readers come in handy. Fresh eyes may be able to spot something you can't.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible, and I'm in NO WAY trying to justify any of the bad messages in these books (Hush Hush, Twilight, 50SoG)... that these women are writing about the idea of this guy who's arrogant, heated and passionate, but forgetting to follow through with the change they claim he goes through in the end? Is it possible that they're not at all aware of the abusive relationship they've written?

I always thought that was the case. Even when I read those books, I tend to overlook the portrayals of negative/unhealthy/abusive relationships if I like the story. It's definitely possible that these writers just didn't realize the message they would be sending. It can be difficult to step far enough away from your own work to see it from other people's perspectives.

I think you should get readers to look over your story and see if you really are portraying an unhealthy relationship or sending a message with your story that you don't want to send. Just by realizing this problem and knowing what you don't want to say, you're already a step ahead of a lot of writers. Good luck!

Eli Hinze

Snuggler of Cats & Writer of Things
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com

^ This. The MC should definitely call him out on it before they act on romantic desires, or else I'd feel it'd be like she's excusing his poor behavior by not confronting it and telling him it'd be a deal breaker.

Anyhow, I hope that helps~

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.disneygeekwriter.blogspot.com
In my second book my MC is starting a new relationship after getting out of an abusive relationship. I was talking with my mom about it when I first started writing it (she's a high school English teacher) and she said that many girls in her classes are in these kind of relationships and it's a story that should be told. To give them hope that there is a way out and that they aren't alone.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it says something about me that I pretty much always know going into something that I'm going to be writing about an unhealthy relationship, and the prospect of a healthy relationship is always portrayed in my writing as this idyllic thing held just out of reach — viewable, like a dream, but never quite attainable.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I never really gave it two thoughts because it always seemed to be the normal... I mean, he's not the weird stalkery type in that he's following her around, watching her sleep (Oh wait crap, he does in book 2.... oh, but they're laying in bed together and she's having a nightmare)... Okay scratch that, he doesn't sneak into her room to watch her sleep. With these things in mind though, I'm definitely going to make a bit more of a conscious effort to have them verbally spar. Sure, he likes to namecall, but it's not going to be all on her, and when it is, she'll be calling him out on it.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I should also add that she doesn't "have to" do anything. My opinion was just based on what I'd like to see a character do, not what your character would do :)

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
No I know, but it's still very helpful. :) When I started writing this book and working with my central MC, I wanted her to be a little insecure in her abilities and needing to come into her own while he's someone (who she's known for over a decade, he's not the bad boy who just comes into town the day of the story) and challengers her to grow up, not always in the most gentle way. I wanted it to be a growing experience for the both of them and I do need to keep an eye on him so that he's not pushing it too far.