Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Just done my yearly word count. I am currently on 439,000 words for the year. Need to write 2000 more by the end of the year to beat last year.

Due to life events it has been a harder and less productive year than planned, but I am fairly happy with the amount I have written.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Finished a 9th book this morning. :) Reading number 10 now. Not really doing much else. :tongue

ETA: Finished 10, starting 11.

~Amber~

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You're a beast, Vamp! That's a huge number of books read already.

I had a long sleep-in after getting up early this morning. I was awake for about 1.5 hours, then went back to bed for 3. :tongue

Not really intending to get much done today. Taking a breather after WIP#1.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, wound up going shopping for 3.5 hours. Didn't mean to stay out that long, but it just sort of happened. We needed a new Christmas tree, as the last one broke when we tried to put it up today. So yeah, we now have one half the size because, hey, there's only 2 of us here anyway and it's a smaller house.

(Yes, we in Australialand use plastic trees as a general rule. ;))

Anyway, about to cook dinner, then maybe see if I can salvage the day by getting something done this evening. :)

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
439k in one year is amazing!

I've written 396k. In the entire time I've been writing. Which is about 4 years. And that includes Uni homework.

During the time I was at university (4 years) I wrote maybe 50,000 words of fiction.I think the amount you can write - what is a good year - depends on the person and their situaton.

In my case, I could see the chance of following my dreams slipping away, unless I got very serious about the business. So I decided to put the same effort in as I would for a graduate degree, over the same period (a 6 year plan). This is going to be the third year..

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Done up to chapter five:tongue Still not a lot but got swamped with Christmas stuff:) However, I am glad that I went into town to meet my friend yesterday because my mother was going to get last min veg this morning and they where queuing out the door. she turned around and came back home:tongue No trolleys! She said town was just as bad and it's raining heavy over here. She was only going to go because she had finished her shift at 7:00am.

In other news slowly getting rid of the cold. Ordered myself a tablet for £150, which wasn't too bad and I know it should work cause my mum got one a few weeks ago so, I've been testing it:tongue Hoping to get a lot done today as I have no plans over weekend. Apart from to avoid town:tongue And my other site has just gone down , again ;) {What did people do without the internet? :D}

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the 11th book. :) Probably going to start another one soon, but I'm going to go hang out with my nerds in a little bit so I'm not sure whether I'm going to do much of anything productive today. :tongue

~Amber~

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Got in some time editing tonight. I dropped an entire plot line, and got to cut out some of the related content. About three chapters so far. Ouch :tongue

Other than that, read a book as research for another project. I might be able to handle planning for it and editing this one at the same time, yay!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Spent 4 hours with the grandparents. Not sure what I'll do now that I'm home again... I really should adjust my chapter sizes for WIP#1 before I forget. Also have 60 pages of book 7 left to read, so I want to get that done tonight.

Going to submit the Creeper short tomorrow, but I'll finish editing it tomorrow, not tonight.

And I've lost about 3.5 hours to The Big Bang Theory over the past few days, watching 10 episodes. Hopelessly addicted to that show! I bought Season 5 on DVD about a month ago, and I decided to watch an episode a second time after finishing the editing pass. Which quickly became, "Oh, just re-watch the entire season." :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Revised the chapter lengths for the first half of WIP#1. Not sure how many chapters there are in the first half anymore... I basically just added "Chapter" but didn't number them. I'll number them once I've changed the lengths of the whole WIP. That way I can just scroll through and count instead of having to remember what the last number was. :tongue

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I love The Big Bang Theory. :tongue It's very addictive.

Even with my nerds I still managed to finish a book yesterday. :D 12 down, I don't know how many more to go. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I still didn't finish book 7 last night... Got sleepy and went to bed. It's a great book, but it's kind of heavy-hitting, so it's actually taking longer to read than a longer book.

Okay! I'm going easy on myself today. All I have to do is:

Finish reading book 7.
Edit and submit Christmas Creeper short. (It'd be good if I actually had a title, too...)
Finish resectioning my chapters for WIP#1.

That's all.

I had hoped to have started editing WIP#2 by now, but I guess that'll be after Christmas.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Finished reading book 7. Need to do some last-minute grocery shopping today, not sure when we'll do that. Might have to rearrange chapters on WIP#1 now...

ETA: Finished separating the chapters out a bit. Instead of 16 chapters, I now have 26. :) Then I went grocery shopping for the 3rd time in 9 days, to get some things for Christmas that we either forgot or couldn't get last time.

Really have to edit the Creeper short soon.

Last edited:

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
BAM! I finished Rewrite 2 (or 3 or whatever this is). I ended up adding on about 7,000 words, so it was a rather significant re-write, and my goal was to finish it before the end of the month, so now I think I'm going to let it "simmer" for a week or so before even looking at it again.

I've already, though, thought of at least one change I want to make. It's a time-travel novel, and the way that I had it set up I *thought* I had the math right for a really cool coincidence, but it turns out I'm a day short, so for the sake of awesomeness, I'm thinking of splitting one of the days my character spends in a certain time frame into two days. It might be a minor change, but I have a feeling I might have to reorder some of the events to make it work.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Figured out a title for my Creeper short, but haven't edited it yet today.

Also just read a 40-page introduction to book 8. The book itself is about 360 pages of actual fiction - plus the 40 page introduction and about 30-40 pages of notes at the end. (It's "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien, by the way. Second edition, hence extra intro stuff. I've read it once before, but couldn't put off reading it again, even though I have plenty on my pile that I've never read before.)

Starting to think about dinner, then it'll be time to put a last-ditch effort into the Creeper short before submitting it. I'm so tired though! I had a nap earlier, which is when I came up with the title. :tongue I could do with an early night again, I think.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Congrats, WK! :)

You're brave, Cliff Face. I've never been able to read "The Silmarillion". It's just too... clunky, I think.

I have no excuse not to finish this first editing pass today. Time to get down to business!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go WK and EM!

I actually found The Silmarillion to be a really enthralling read the first time. It was really interesting to see some of the history of Tolkien's world.

I also read the first 4 or 5 History Of Middle-Earth books years ago, but came upon one that had a 100-page chapter or thereabouts and gave up. Sadly, about 5 years ago I sold all my Tolkien books to pay for Christmas presents. I've regretted it ever since - I should've just said to the family that I couldn't afford Christmas that year.

A couple of years ago, I re-bought the LOTR books, and then a month or so ago The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

I've also seen a complete collection of the History Of Middle-Earth books (12 books in 3 bound collection books) but it cost about $200. Still, that's less than $20 per book, and they'd cost about $25 each down here, so... But I can't afford $200 right now. Nor will I have the time anytime soon to read all of them.

Okay, I've had a late dinner, and now I have to edit the short story and submit it. I won't be getting ANYTHING done tomorrow, due to Christmas festivities, so I'd like to submit the short soon and then read some of this book before having an early night.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
3 edits later, I've just submitted my Christmas Creeper short. *nervous*

Don't forget to read them and vote once the entries are all posted! Even though I really can't tell you which one is mine, if you vote, you may end up voting for mine. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Shorts aren't up yet, but we'll point you in the right direction when it's time. :)

'Cause, you know, it's only Christmas right now in CliffFaceLand while over on the west coast of the US there's still over 12 hours until the "midnight Christmas Eve" deadline. :tongue (Merry Christmas, Cliff :))

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Vamp and all here!

Yeah, I submitted mine earlier than I had to, because of time zones. But I didn't want to be working on the story on Christmas morning (ie. now).

*wonders when the stories will be posted* I'm in no hurry for the stories to go up. I think Mac celebrating the holidays is a tad more important than rushing to get all the stories posted. :)