I dunno where else to put this so...

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
does any of the other women here get mistaken for men on other sites they go to? it happens all the time, even when I use a username that is OBVIOUSLY feminine. frustrates me so much ;-; I'm a woman, dagnabit.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here and other other sites. Apparently calling myself regdog must mean I'm a guy.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
don't let it bother you, dude.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People often mistake cray for a man too. Even though he's clearly a battery.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry it happens to you, sir.

Same with the other guys, Cathy and Regdog.

Yeah, even with my picture posted, I get mistaken all the time for a handsome young man. :Shrug:
Chase_1.jpg

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
ladies and gentleman,.....

mr. sean connery!

ask him anything.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
About 20,000 posts ago. It used to happen to me, but I chose an ambiguous screen name on purpose, as I didn't necessarily want to be labeled by gender when I came to AW.
They found me out, of course. (And I use my photo as my avatar, which probably keeps it from happening now).
Mostly though, after a while most folks here know me. And the ones who don't, who think I'm a man just aren't paying attention. I "write like a girl". If they were careful, thoughtful readers, they would know. Not that it matters. Doesn't bother me either way. It says far more about them than it does about me, or you, for that matter. :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Here and other other sites. Apparently calling myself regdog must mean I'm a guy.

It's the transformers. Obviously, if you were a girl, you'd have Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony, because girls don't like giant transforming robots.

It doesn't come up often, but people do seem to assume at first that I'm a guy with this username. It's about as generic as you can get. Initials, last name. Some people get "guy" from that anyway.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I only participate on one other message board, but I don't *think* I've ever been mistaken for a man there or here. At least, if anyone did think I was male, they didn't refer to me as such. I tend to only use female characters as avatars though, so maybe that's why?

I have mistaken other people online for the wrong gender, both on that site and this one. Like, I don't know why, but when I first joined AW, I thought alleycat was a woman for months until I saw someone refer to him as a he then looked at his profile for the first time and saw it was true. *facepalm* Sorry alleycat!:gone:

I'm just glad I'm the type to always check people's profiles before I actually post something calling them a him or her, and if their profile doesn't indicate gender I try to use gender neutral pronouns.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
when I first joined AW, I thought alleycat was a woman for months until I saw someone refer to him as a he then looked at his profile for the first time and saw it was true.

:e2cat: She He isn't? :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I'm the type to always check people's profiles before I actually post something calling them a him or her, and if their profile doesn't indicate gender I try to use gender neutral pronouns.

Yep, that's ^ what I do. ;)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it happens. I guess I brought it on myself by using my name's unisex diminutive as a user status.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
the annoying thing is, I use drawings I've done myself and they're ALL feminine xD hell, my username on that other site is a feminine russian name. marinka, old version of marin from what this guy told me. and still, it happens xD but I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the transformers. Obviously, if you were a girl, you'd have Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony, because girls don't like giant transforming robots.

It doesn't come up often, but people do seem to assume at first that I'm a guy with this username. It's about as generic as you can get. Initials, last name. Some people get "guy" from that anyway.

Of course girls don't like Transformers, we only like pink, sparkly things.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yep. Happens. And did even before I became a knife wearing Sikh with a gender neutral name.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
could be worse ...

Sojourner Truth did a speaking tour across the country for women's rights and abolition. She was so powerful a speaker and effective that males in the audience could not believe she was a woman and often interrupted her speeches to say as much. Fed up she bared her breasts as evidence and told them they should be ashamed. And they were !

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often get mistaken for a pup.

<-

Go figure...

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Of course girls don't like Transformers, we only like pink, sparkly things.

*scowls*

Pink and sparkly do not go together in the same sentence. And Jeremy the crow was obsessed with sparklies in Secret of Nimh. So it's not just a girl thing. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I'm not usually bothered by mistakes on my own gender - I'd rather be judged on the merit of my writing, not whether I'm a chick or a dude writing it.