Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
The blackbird is locked in on the osprey and closing in fast, relentless in his pursuit. It's not a very good photo yet comical to see such a small force of nature drive away a much larger adversary:

5-14-12035-SM.jpg
Cool photo, SK.

As a side note, every time I see a description of a scene, for some reason I hear it narrated by Marlin Perkins. Maybe I watched too much Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom as a kid. :D

GEDC0158swachskisroots.jpg

...Anyway, on the right hand side where the little branches are just sticking out will be covered in leaves when I'm done. :D
Beautiful drawing, Nighty. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, wonderful drawings Tepelus and nighty! Amazing talent.

And fantastic photos, SK! I love that heron...

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome painting Templus and awesome drawing N-F.

If you think that size difference is funny, I saw a red-winged black bird attack an ostrich at the zoo. The ostrich didn't even notice. I only wish I had my new camera at the time. It was hilarious!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
well worth the wait, sk...
I think of you often while shooting such scenes, which helps to keep me inspired as I seek different perspectives to highlight certain bicycle similarities. :)

Awesome wolf painting, Tepelus!

Great photos as always, SK. I really like the color in the first one and the collision picture was really amazing. And that little bird is crazy, why doesn't the Osprey turn around and eat it?

Ospreys in motion are too slow to put up a fight and simply wheel and dive to avoid the onslaught as the smaller bird presses the attack and finally drives it away from the area. It's interesting to note that ospreys are strictly fish eating and pose little to no threat to other birds.

Okay, this needs a lot more work done to it, but I thought that swach might find the project I'm working on interesting. I call it Swachski's Roots. :D

Very nice work, nf, but I think swachski's hair roots have more visible grey color than what's been expressed so far. ;)

Cool photo, SK.

As a side note, every time I see a description of a scene, for some reason I hear it narrated by Marlin Perkins. Maybe I watched too much Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom as a kid. :D

I did as well, so we're both showing our age now. Back then, I think the original episodes ran after The Lawrence Welk Show on Sunday nights. :)

Wow, wonderful drawings Tepelus and nighty! Amazing talent.

And fantastic photos, SK! I love that heron...

More to come soon!

A male LesserGoldFinch

AlesserGold.png
What a handsome fellow. Is the perch he's standing on a feeder of some sort?

...If you think that size difference is funny, I saw a red-winged black bird attack an ostrich at the zoo. The ostrich didn't even notice. I only wish I had my new camera at the time. It was hilarious!
Oh, I believe they'd go after ostrich, or just about any other living creature, regardless of the size difference. They are tenacious and fearless and wholly reckless in their approach to drive away whatever wildlife they perceive as threats. It's fun to watch, so long as you're not the target...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Not an ostrich, but still exotic :D

Incidentally I have seen a hummingbird try to chase away and tell a hawk what for above our yard ;)

ScreenShot2012-12-11at84451PM.png

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Ospreys in motion are too slow to put up a fight and simply wheel and dive to avoid the onslaught as the smaller bird presses the attack and finally drives it away from the area. It's interesting to note that ospreys are strictly fish eating and pose little to no threat to other birds.

See, I didn't know that. This thread is so educational! I think I see Ospreys much like I see hawks and hawks tend to eat lots of things smaller than them, including birds. Thanks SK, I'm always learning things about different animals in here. So cool. :)

Very nice work, nf, but I think swachski's hair roots have more visible grey color than what's been expressed so far. ;)

No way! Swach's roots are youthful and vibrant! :D Hopefully the drawing will look a lot better when I'm done. And I'll try to take a photo of it in the daylight, the flash on my camera keeps messing up the shot. :/ It makes the drawing so pale you can barely see it and then I have to go mess with the contrast just to get some of the detail to show.

Great little bird photo, pd. What a pretty little bird. :) And I love giraffes, I watch them all the time in Africa, great creatures to watch.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I believe they'd go after ostrich, or just about any other living creature, regardless of the size difference. They are tenacious and fearless and wholly reckless in their approach to drive away whatever wildlife they perceive as threats. It's fun to watch, so long as you're not the target...
My brother got pecked by a robin once. Apparently he got too close to the nest. And this summer I watched as Bobtail (the stubby-tailed squirrel) got dive-bombed by one of the neighborhood mockingbirds.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
that it!
that's the one! love it!
I was saving that one to post on its own. :)

That is a perfect photo.
It's one of only a handful of photos I've ever made that I'd agree is as close to perfect as I'll ever manage. It seemed unreal when I first saw it, and stranger still when I couldn't find anything "wrong" with the scene. Every possible element I can think of came together at just the right instant to make it happen, a very, very rare occurrence for me.

Wish it happened more often!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Haggis on this,
the last one in particular is just stunning.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
hmm...I don't know, SK, they all look pretty perfect to me. All I can do is stare at the screen with my jaw hanging open. Beautiful and stunning are the words that come to mind.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Great photos, everyone! And good job on your drawing thus far, night-flyer. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks to all who replied on my painting.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weather is cold where I live and there's not much to photograph.

Nevertheless I took my camera with me when I went for my walk today. I snapped a photo of a squirrel eating something on a fence. Squirrels usually run off as soon as they see you.

squirrelly12-13.jpg

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this needs a lot more work done to it, but I thought that swach might find the project I'm working on interesting. I call it Swachski's Roots. :D I know it's not a very good likeness, sometimes my hand doesn't draw what my eyes see. :Shrug: But it's been fun drawing it.

GEDC0158swachskisroots.jpg

sorry, the lighting in my house is horrible. Anyway, on the right hand side where the little branches are just sticking out will be covered in leaves when I'm done. :D

Nify! I'm speechless... this is so amazing on so many levels. I'm honored that you would enjoy one of my pics enough to draw it. Your interpretation really brings the curving branches to life, and the added contrast is making me notice things I didn't in the photo. I can't wait to see the final drawing! :Hug2:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
The weather is cold where I live and there's not much to photograph.

Nevertheless I took my camera with me when I went for my walk today. I snapped a photo of a squirrel eating something on a fence. Squirrels usually run off as soon as they see you.

squirrelly12-13.jpg

He must have really wanted whatever he was eating.