Promotion for Anthology

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score
Hey AWers!

So one of my stories is being included in a forthcoming anthology published by She Writes Press in March (yay!!). The editor, the other writers and myself are trying to do brainstorming for readings, promotions and the like. We have a publicist, but say we've got the cutest little indie bookstore in the area and want to get the book on their shelves. Do we just go in there, ask to speak to the owner and pitch the book? How does that process work? Any other tips/tricks for casting a wider net in terms of promotion? Thanks in advance!

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't the publisher be handling distribution and getting it on shelves?

Providing more details on the type of anthology, subject matter, etc., would be helpful.

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What is your publisher doing to market and promote Dumped? If they're doing nothing, then you have to consider what their value is.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't the publisher be handling distribution and getting it on shelves?
Unless it's changed, last I knew She Writes Press was a vanity publisher. They offer a $3,900 "She Publishes" package that includes some kind of marketing plan and "Marketing/Publicity Booster" for $1000.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the case then no, the publisher isn't going to do a damn thing about promoting this anthology because it's already earned its money from the authors included in it.

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score
We didn't have to pay anything to SWP - our editor did, because her agent couldn't find a suitable non-vanity press to accept the anthology. Without a "big name" among the contributors, the book didn't have much draw for traditional publishers, so the editor decided to pony up the money herself and go with She Writes, and I believe she decided to go for the extra grand and get the Publicity/Marketing package as well.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She'd have been better off self-publishing it, I suspect. Still, it's too late now.

I used to run a review blog and the marketing packages sold by vanity publishers were not very effective in marketing or promoting the books concerned. For example, the press releases they sent out were usually so generic they generated no interest in the books concerned. Better to spend that money on your own publicist, or on publishing the book more effectively.