What are the best book websites to place paid banner ads

MattManochio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MattManochio.com
Hello all, my debut supernatural thriller, The Dark Servant (Samhain Publishing) hits shelves and ereaders on Nov. 4. Now, I am prepared to place banner advertisements on certain sites to target readers. For instance, I'm considering placing an animated banner ad on Fangoria for a week. It's a specific audience that, in theory, should take a liking to my book. The rate is pretty reasonable. A few hundred bucks. Compared to advertising packages that run near $1,000. So, aside from focusing on horror-related websites with large audiences, are there any websites, in general, that you've used for banner ads?

Also, because my book is new, it isn't eligible yet for .99 cent deals, etc. but are there sites where I could conceivably place the same banner ads but not go broke?

I realize this may not translate into many sales and that it can be hit or miss, but I am of the mind that paid ads probably are a good idea, if done right. Can any of you please offer some advice to this newbie?

Thanks!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Every author I've talked to that has paid for ads out of their own pocket has regretted it. Samhain will give you some promo, and there is plenty of free promo you can do.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Matt, how many times have you bought a book because you saw it in a banner ad? I don't think I ever have. And if you haven't either, what makes you think doing so would help sell your book?

I agree with Ginger. There are other things you can do which will be far more cost-effective.

MattManochio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MattManochio.com
Thank you both for the replies. You're right. I can't say I've ever purchased anything via banner ad. So, in lieu of them, what are the most cost-effective ways to publicize your work. It's difficult to post a deal on one of the Kindle sites because my book is new -- not free or discounted. I'm sure it will get a minimum amount of positive reviews required by some sites. So, while I'm waiting for that, what sites should I visit? I realize if there was a sure-fire method, everyone would be doing it. So that's why I'm posting. And I do appreciate the suggestions. I am willing to post one targeted banner ad specific to my audience. But I agree that posting a bunch on sites not audience-specific might not be the best use of my budget. Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The first thing you should do is to stop trying to push the name of your book on us. By all means have a link to your book in your signature here: but you have only eight posts here and you've talked about your book in the first para of five of those posts. This isn't promo: it's on the verge of spamming, and it isn't an effective sales tool. Take part in the discussions here, contribute to the community, and people might want to read your book. Shove it at us at every opportunity and you'll end up alienating everyone.

Your next step: speak to your publisher. Ask them what they're doing for you, and how they'd like you to work so that you don't do anything which clashes with their efforts.

If you want to go further then this thread is really helpful:

How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb

I really wouldn't pay for a banner ad. It won't be cost-effective. It might be if you had several books published, but if this is your first then you won't have the backlist to make it worthwhile. Instead focus on engaging with your potential readers, and on working on your next book, because having a good backlist is the best promotional tool you can create for yourself.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matt, how many times have you bought a book because you saw it in a banner ad?

TBH, I think internet junkies evolve (in a Lamarkian kind of way) an ability to completely ignore online ads, even the kind that blink and shudder to get your attention. I can't remember ever clicking on an ad, except accidentally (which usually generates a Strong Language Advisory in my area)

MattManochio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MattManochio.com
Old Hack, for the record, I am NOT trying to spam anyone here. I'm relatively new here, and please forgive me if I don't have the etiquette down. But I absolutely get your point. One of the things that's grating is when people perpetually plug their books on Twitter. So, I'll knock it off. Promise.

Here's what I have done:
1. Hired a publicist to arrange a blog tour. She's familiar with Samhain, knows many of the authors and review sites. This isn't a Smith Publicity deal because I've read those types of packages might not be the most cost-effective given the many thousands of dollars some ask for.
2. On my own I've gotten ARCs in the hands of reviewers/bloggers that specialize in horror.
3. I come from newspapers and am able to get coverage in at least the county paper (where I worked for 12 years), and there's a chance other papers in New Jersey (where I live and the book is set) may run something.
4. I have a social media presence on all the usual sites and I'm NOT spamming people, believe me. I do have a blog but, as many of you know, there's never enough time, given work, family responsibilities (i.e., toddler), and writing. I don't post as much as I'd like and know I should be contributing more.
5. I have written a second book for my publisher, and while not under contract (he asked me to add some things and make some changes) I'm confident I can get one. And I'm 20,000 words into a third book.
6. I have a Goodreads giveaway that starts tomorrow.

So, off the top of my head, that's what I've done. But I feel I should be doing more marketing/promo wise (I know which publications Samhain pitches/advertises, so there's no overlap).

That's why I asked about the banner ads, which youve all convinced me not to do, and I thank you. The reasoning is sound.

I'm not opposed to spending some of my own money, I just want to be prudent in my use of it. That's why I came here.

I will check out the link, thank you. And if I've left out anything, or if any of you can think of something else that might be useful, please, I'd love to hear from you.

This is my first go-round with a book release, so it's all new to me. That's why I came here. Thanks.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I don't think banner ads on most sites, even high-profile ones, really lead to sales.

That said, I do notice some of the masthead and sidebar banners on Goodreads, although I don't click them. They seep into my subconscious and I'll sometimes add books to my TBR list as a result. They're very expensive, compared to self-serve ads, though, which is why they're dominated by big publishers.