The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, how many of you have your entire birthdate out somewhere on the internet, Facebook or elsewhere? The same kid has emailed me back asking for month, day and year. I'm not going to give it to him, but i'm just wondering if I'm being overly paranoid.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I won't put mine out anywhere, Amarie. I lie on most sites that request it. Identify thieves love to know birthdates.

ETA: Very interesting and savvy post about hybrid careers on J@ne Fri3dman's blog today by CJ Ly0ns. If you're considering doing anything indie, suggest you read it.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think those are the right guesses but it's Red's choice to disclose if it's what I think it is. In any event, yay Red! (it was a thing we were aware of in the pit.)

I deleted my previous post because, YIKES! I thought everyone knew. *feels bad*

Yayayayayay for LW!!!!!!!!! Fantastic news!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Today I learned there is a thing called a springerle mold. Yeah, I had no clue what that was. Which probably says it's not for me. Haha.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Want to know the latest G00dreads kerfuffle or soon-to-be kerfuffle?
An author (a crazy one, but that is sort of beside the point) who is ticked off at the site for kicking him off, is going to post some things in a few days about how GR has these roleplaying groups which have veered into the adult content area without moderating who is actually part of them. You can have an account if you are 13, but other than that, unless a group is marked 18+, there had been no other requirement to participate in a group.

It would never had occurred to me that people would use the site for roleplaying, but apparently they do, taking books that aren't in the erotic category and roleplaying characters moving into that area.

GR found out about it and quickly added in some sort of requirement to some groups not letting members access them unless they entered a birthdate, and now some members are unhappy about having to provide that.

I'm sure the developers never imagined the problems that would arise from having a site supposedly about books.

Last edited:

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Say wha, Amarie? So people eroticize...oh, I don't know, say an Agatha Christie, and pretend Miss Marple is getting it on with other characters in the thread?

:roll:

That is so messed up, yet so quintessentially human.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

That is so messed up, yet so quintessentially human.

I think it was in this thread that I learned the same thing happens in fan fiction, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising to me. Humans are endlessly complicated- Good reason to write about them :)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
My siblings were homeschooled, and my BFF has homeschooled her kids when they lived in OH. Both were members of co-ops and set up classroom time as well as activities for the kids, so it'd be like school just not on school grounds. Co-ops usually ask every family to teach one subject for the kids. Doesn't have to be the grade your child is or a subject they study. There are so many materials available for homeschoolers and the group of kids is so small, every 'teacher' was able to handle it. My siblings went all the way through h.s. and their diplomas came from a private school that oversaw the program.

So it doesn't have to be you and your kid alone all day every day.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgies. Rep me with news, please!!

Also, yay Dys! But I expected no less.

It's crazy warm here, like mid-50s warm.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It seems like every other week I find more reasons I'm not going back to Goodreads. Not worth it.

ink, it was 65 here yesterday at this time. It's now 28 and snowing. :Wha:

Brain cells dying: I was editing last night and Mr. Lily was surfing channels. He says: "Honey, did you want to watch Supernatural?" I looked up: it was 9:17. I yell upstairs to kiddo: "It's Wednesday!" He replies, "So?" And then it clicked for him too. :tongue My co-worker filled me in on what we missed.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, yup, supposed to get down the 20s and snow here tomorrow. Craziness.

Ah... Goodreads. I tried. I just couldn't be bothered to continue. Seems like that wasn't a bad thing.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning all.
Sheesh, another GR debacle? Dear Writer-Land: This is why we can't have nice things...

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if the people who created Goodreads are happy about all the attention it gets or dismayed at how little it seems to be about actually reviewing books.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody repping long after the fact, count me in, please.

High winds and cold here. Mr. Maryn already chased our garbage can and picked up what had spilled when it went tumbling. It's now propped against the mail box. Luckily, we're usually early on the route so maybe it'll still be upright by the time they reach us.

I have a new trackball mouse which I installed yesterday. It's taking some getting used to, and the literature could definitely be better. But so far, it's a lot easier on my old-lady thumbs, even if I can't figure out what two of its four buttons do. ("Don't press the left one!")

I feel simultaneous pity and contempt for GoodReads. It no doubt seemed like a good idea, but it's not at all well-managed. If it were better moderated, it could fulfill its purpose, but instead, it's a fresh debacle on the heels of the last one. Maybe MacAllister would like to run it?

Maryn, ready to nominate

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

I would like a rep too, please.

I had joined Goodreads, but with all of this insanity that keeps sparking up, I'm just not going to mess with it- even when my books come out. Other people can do the Goodreads thing. I don't need the extra drama.

Providing the weather holds out, I may be going to the movies.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

Not much going on here today. My last day in the office for the week, I'm working from home tomorrow.

Haven't done a damn bit of writing all week, and it's making me grumpy. Maybe I can squeeze some in over the weekend to make up for all that I'm behind.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Morning, everyone!

Yikes, GoodReads drama! I use it, but I mainly just add books and put up a few reviews every once in a while. It always seems like I don't know about the drama until I read about it somewhere else.

Which is just fine with me!

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And for authors.... GR isn't that good a bet. According to research, only 1-2% of books are getting "discovered" in any real way there. People are just there churning over the same 15 books. *LE SIGH*

......which brings me to my super sekrit project. ;)

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
I have done pretty well with staying off of Goodreads since Tuesday. Too stressful. Now, someone tell me to stop obsessively checking the @mazon hot 100 new mysteries, and we'll be all good. :D

Thanks so much for all the lovely messages and reps, y'all. Still doesn't feel real.

*snorples purgatory*

*mixes mimosas*

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
And for authors.... GR isn't that good a bet. According to research, only 1-2% of books are getting "discovered" in any real way there. People are just there churning over the same 15 books. *LE SIGH*

......which brings me to my super sekrit project. ;)

Aw that stinks! I definitely discover nearly all my books there. Either through top whatever lists, most read, and through reviewers that I trust/usually agree with.

I'm kinda oblivious to the drama, though, so that probably helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.