Beta Readers/Crit Requests

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 1.6k SF/F piece that needs someone to look at it, if anybody's interested.

magster

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping for my flash piece. Still looking for feedback :)

I'm new around here, been posting in the 3-line crit crowd if you want to check me out.

I don't do romance, comedy, historical, erotica, strict fantasy, gay/lesbian, and teen drama.

I write dystopian, futuristic, speculative laced with some horror. Check out my profile, let me know.

magster

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping for my flash piece. Still looking for feedback :)

Sorry about my earlier post. What I meant was, I'd give feedback on your flash horror story if you're still looking for a read on it.

In my earlier post - I meant, if you wanted to check out what I was critting in the 3-line forum, before you want to send your story over, that was fine by me. I really need to preview my posts before clicking!

Tks and apologies, if I came across earlier differently than merely wanting to give feedback.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Have a 3.6K word urban fantasy type thing I'd love some feedback on. New to this whole thing, but would be willing to trade!

Peace
Ty

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ISO beta reader

I looking for a reader with an eye for proofing. I have four flash fiction pieces that total ~2800 words.

One is a horror (ish) - 429 words - have betas for this one.
One is a paranormal - 781 words
One is fantasy (I think. Maybe it's comedy or drama - well, it's in the POV of a bug) - 209 words
One is a parody of a famous children's book, but this is not for children - 1400 words

UPDATE: got a few readers and now I'm in revision.

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so that was a really great experience. Thanks to ACFantasy!

I have a 4K word urban fantasy I'd also like feedback on, if anyone out there'd be willing.

Peace
Ty

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm currently looking for a beta for a 20,000 word upper middle grade portal fantasy novella. I'm not sure where to put each chapter, as they are the short 1,000 word variety. I pretty sure I need use fewer words to say the same thing at some points.

I' m a little stumped on character development though. I used to do character profiles, then found I hardly used anything I put in those.

I'm thinking in my next one, I might try the novel challenge. At first I thought it was twelve weeks, and not twelve months.:p (Getting a novella done in three weeks just about killed me.)

Last edited:

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
Short story swap?

I have about 5 stories that I think are ready to be read and critiqued. They range from 800-2000 words. I'd be willing to do a one for one swap and can send one sentence synopses if you wanted to pick and choose. PM me if you're interested.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have a very depressing 2,190 word short end-of-the-world story. Inspired by true events. It's very close to my heart so I'd like gentle critique. Willing to swap.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a full-length novel -- Query text is pasted below just to give you an idea of the genre. I'm actually querying right now, but I have some specific concerns about it. And let's face it, you're never actually done. ;)

Anyway, I'm looking for someone either with time on their hands and a desire to read a free book, or someone looking for a swap (limited to SF, please).

I'm hoping for a fairly short time-frame, and willing to offer the same if swapping. PM if interested.

Query:

Outland is a complete novel, with series potential, at 81,000 words. It is Science Fiction, with Tech and Post-Apocalyptic elements.

Physics student Richard and fellow university students create a portal to an alternate Earth where humans never evolved. But the geology is the same, so they know where the gold is. The group goes gold panning in Outland and they become millionaires overnight. Richard sets up a permanent camp on Outland as a place to get away on weekends, while fantasizing about Nobel Prizes and patents.

Then the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts on Earth in an explosion large enough to destroy civilization and kill half the planet. Richard and his friends have less than an afternoon to get as many people as possible across to Outland before Nebraska is covered in a lethal cloud of ash.

Now Richard finds himself in charge of a disorganized and frightened band of reluctant pioneers, on a world with none of the modern infrastructure that people have come to depend on. Richard has been a loner all his life, and has always wanted to be part of something bigger -- but this is far more than he bargained for. If he doesn’t get this right, it’s not just the lives of the people in his care that could be lost – it may very well be the end of human civilization.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh my. Your novel is right up my alley for preferred genre/plotline for purely pleasure reading.

I'm in.

That said, I'm crazy busy until next week Wednesday, and I'll be thrilled to have a spare ten minutes to crack open the word document until then. But when I do, I'm a quick and thorough reader, and as a beta reader, best known for having sharp little clawtips. If you're looking for a conceptual overview and you can identify areas you're a little worried about, all the better as I can focus on those areas. Left to my own devices, I'm a line-by-liner where needed, and I leave conceptual overview thoughts at the end of chapters and at the end of the novel.

*licks clawtips*

Send me a PM.

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I'll be returning here more often to get the links to people's work. In the meantime, could you have a listen to a song I wrote? Link in my footer.

Now, just gotta find my red pen.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Beta swap?

I've got ten stories that I wrote this past month and a half. All are flash except one, which is 1300 words. All but one have been through SYW. One I know has problems (Secret).

I'd particularly like submission suggestions (appropriate sites) or a don't-submit-until-you-revise opinion. Varied genres, more SFF than anything, although there's some historicals and a couple mainstream.

You don't have to be gentle with me because I'm used to the rough-and-tumble of SYW. And I'm completely willing to return crits.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Deadlight, I've got a 3.5K darkish near-future SF twist on capital punishment. Mind exchanging?

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Deadlight, I've got a 3.5K darkish near-future SF twist on capital punishment.

Anyone else interested in this? I'm planning to sub it for the third C.C. Finlay F&SF issue and would really like a good read on it first.

Peace
Ty

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I need a beta or two to look over a Contemporary Fantasy/Noir at 7.5K. I can swap for something of comparable length. I don't have much of a nose for Literary (although I'm always happy to take a look if that's what you need eyes on).

The first bit is in the SYW if you want to see what you're getting into.

PM me, please, if interested because I always forget to check this thread.