Braggage III

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I've missed several congratulations on this page so I hope I get them all: Great job Aislin, Barbara, OJ, Peter and Alex!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
My news is that I now have a collection on its way - Out Stack and Other Places, to be published by Immediate Direction Publications at a date and with a story lineup to be announced.

This will be my second collection. The first was eleven years ago and is now out of print.

This does also mean that my stockpile of viable unsold stories will be significantly reduced as a result of this, and it is in single figures anyway. Better write some more, then!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been posting here in recent months as my one new story a month goal has fallen by the wayside in lieu of other stuff. "A Breath of Darkness" was written as a W1S1 story, though, so guess it's okay to put in braggage.

The story sold recently to Heroic Fantasy Quarterly and is already live: http://www.heroicfantasyquarterly.com/?p=1640

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Eliza, nice story! (And sad.)

And congrats pdichellis and OCade and eye blink for your latest publications, and Alex again, for your completed Kickstarter funding!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Fihr! The story was different from my norm, so I'm glad it found a good home. I think it would have been hard to place other than somewhere like HFQ.

Congrats Eliza, nice story! (And sad.)

And congrats pdichellis and OCade and eye blink for your latest publications, and Alex again, for your completed Kickstarter funding!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I was thrilled to find this amazing review of A DANGEROUS FICTION from CT News's Joe Meyer. Won't quote it all, but can't resist quoting a bit.

"Rogan does a masterful job of juggling the mounting suspense with a full-bodied portrait of New York literary life and Jo’s complex backstory as the widow of a major novelist in the Norman Mailer/Philip Roth mold. As Jo’s life starts to fall apart under the stalker’s assault, her worshipful image of her beloved dead husband also starts to crack when she begins to find out things she never knew about him.
“A Dangerous Fiction” blends the mystery elements with Jo’s attempt to hold her business and private lives together. The two murders are made even more painful when the police imply that Jo is as much a suspect as the mysterious stalker....Rogan takes us to splashy book parties and to the elegant restaurants where writers and agents do business. It’s fun to see how literary flesh peddlers sell writers in a time of massive changes in the publishing industry.
The fresh setting, the tricky plot, and the strong characterizations made “A Dangerous Fiction” one of the outstanding mysteries of 2013 and the new edition is perfect beach reading for the summer of 2014."

Wow. Just wow.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been posting here in recent months as my one new story a month goal has fallen by the wayside in lieu of other stuff. "A Breath of Darkness" was written as a W1S1 story, though, so guess it's okay to put in braggage.

The story sold recently to Heroic Fantasy Quarterly and is already live: http://www.heroicfantasyquarterly.com/?p=1640

Congratulations on the sale/publication, and hope to see you back to W1S1 soon!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This has been a really good week so far.

Daily Science Fiction bought "Letting Go." a SF flash. It's my 12th story at DSF.

IGMS bought the noir/urban fantasy piece "The Fiddle Game." Will be out in September and my 4th publication with them (and two issues in a row! Mine is the lead story in the current issue!)

Cast of Wonders accepted a reprint of "Things We Leave Behind"

And I have one more major sale pending which I hope to announce soonish.

So yeah, my sales seem to run hot or cold. Nothing for a while, then they all bunch up together for maximum awesomeness.

I wrote a total of 8 short stories in 2014. Six of them are sold, and the seventh is pending minor edits but very likely to be accepted.

The only downside? I'm running out of stories to submit places, and have no time right now to write more.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
So yeah, my sales seem to run hot or cold. Nothing for a while, then they all bunch up together for maximum awesomeness.

Alex, you and I seem to have a very different definition of "nothing for a while." I feel like I'm always seeing your name in the Braggage forum. ;)

Congrats on the latest Brag-wave!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, folks :) OK, I admit it, "a while" for me is a couple of months or so?

I do have a few more braggages coming up soon but they might become slightly more rare after that as I'm running out of short stories. Nothing to sell = no braggage. I promise, I will write more. Eventually. :)

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, friends! I've been away on vacation for a while, but I return with two pieces of braggage.

1. I sold my short story "All Manner of Men and Monsters" to Fireside Fiction! The editor said the story was terrific and the twist at the end a "gutpunch." Plus, they're the highest paying publisher I've sold to, so it's pretty exciting.

2. My appearing in Phobos, Issue 2 is old news, but now an excerpt of my story also appears on their website under the "Emergence" page. I feel positively famous.

I haven't been here in a while so I'll have to look back through all the good news now and silently cheer you all on :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, friends! I've been away on vacation for a while, but I return with two pieces of braggage.

1. I sold my short story "All Manner of Men and Monsters" to Fireside Fiction! The editor said the story was terrific and the twist at the end a "gutpunch." Plus, they're the highest paying publisher I've sold to, so it's pretty exciting.

2. My appearing in Phobos, Issue 2 is old news, but now an excerpt of my story also appears on their website under the "Emergence" page. I feel positively famous.

I haven't been here in a while so I'll have to look back through all the good news now and silently cheer you all on :)

Congratulations on the Fireside sale, that's a pretty big deal (and a nice paycheck!)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Witch_turtle on Fireside, to Alex on continued world domination, and to everyone else I've missed!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Alex and Witch Turtle, that's awesome for both of you. :)

I've some braggage myself: have just sold my short story "The Mussel Eater" to The Book Smugglers, for their upcoming subversive fairy tales gig.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Witch_turtle, that's awesome—and of course, Alex, huge congrats on all those sales. Great work, all!

Peace
Ty

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I've a story up at Kasma SF this month, "The Kyne Extraction". (First published in Plasma Frequency Magazine in April last year.)

I love the illustration, which is spot on. And, I have to say I'm pretty happy to join their line-up of authors, many of whom I admire. :D

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
I've a story up at Kasma SF this month, "The Kyne Extraction". (First published in Plasma Frequency Magazine in April last year.)

I love the illustration, which is spot on. And, I have to say I'm pretty happy to join their line-up of authors, many of whom I admire. :D

Congrats, Fihr. Kasma is a great market to be a part of.

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmwhitley.com
Congrats to OJ and fihr (I enjoyed "The Kyne Extraction" quite a bit), and especially to Witch_turtle...

For my part, I'm pleased to announced that my story "Chatarra" is now live at Ideomancer, it's short so go check it out!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. And 'grats to OJ and gringo. Gringo, 'Chatarra' is wonderful. Very moving.