GOTHAM (May Contain SPOILERS)

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one offended that the only major female villain character also is all about sex? It would have been way more interesting to me to have seen that ridiculous singer competition had they all been male. Seeing a male mob boss ask a male singer to try to seduce him etc? That's unique. Can you imagine Maroni asking the Penguin to do that? That would be unexpected. Seeing a female mob boss do the same thing with a female singer? Wow, you mean a big part of her power is her sexuality, what a shock :p .

I really found that entire subplot gross and sexist and distasteful. And ridiculously predictable. If I had any hope they were going for something interesting and different with GOTHAM that's all gone. GOTHAM is just pretty much like all mainstream shows. Men get to be interesting looking and weird and all kinds of personalities. The women are all gorgeous, thin and sexualised (okay, the captain is the only one who so far hasn't had anything sexual in her character. . . yay). And few and far between. It's the same old same old.

And the trailers for next week don't do anything to suggest they might be subverting these tired tropes.

That didn't bother me because I had a hunch what that audition was for and it got confirmed in last night's episode.

Spoilers for recent episode: The singer seducing Falcone could play out in an interesting way if they don't mess it up. Last night's episode felt like a better handle of Gotham's dark tone and humor. It was hilarious when that old guy broke his walker and beat the cop with it. Another thing I enjoyed was that it doesn't just feel like they're building up Bruce's motive for becoming Batman but also his reasons for the public persona of rich playboy. There's probably gonna be some blowback to him looking into his family's business, and that's a great way to have Bruce involved in the show without appearing tacked on(*coughsCatgirlcoughs*).

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That didn't bother me because I had a hunch what that audition was for and it got confirmed in last night's episode..

Yep, I knew what her *audition* was all about too.

However, Fish had better watch her back. Just sayin' ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So James's brilliant idea to stop the guy from broadcasting the green gas is to... shoot the canister and release the green gas into the air. Right.

I did like Alfred's reaction to the gas, throwing his jacket over Bruce's head to usher him out of the room. Very good characterization there.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Question: Is the show (so far as can be determined to this point) more of a deep dive into Batman prehistory (so to speak), or would it be fair to consider this a reboot?

Maybe they're not mutually exclusive.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
So James's brilliant idea to stop the guy from broadcasting the green gas is to... shoot the canister and release the green gas into the air. Right.

When he did that, I thought, "The Joker would be so proud."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But if Venom is "that Easter egg," then what's with the bone-crushy side effects and the milk cravings? None of that goes along with it.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I love how they made Bane a possibility with a single line. I'm also liking how they're slowly starting Bruce down the road of super sluth.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
But if Venom is "that Easter egg," then what's with the bone-crushy side effects and the milk cravings? None of that goes along with it.

The bone-crushy side effects/milk cravings are from Viper, which is the street drug that was given out for free. Venom is the next version, which was successful -- and that's when the doc had a change of heart/saw the light/etc.

Jorshington

Big Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshthenormal.wordpress.com
Fish Mooney is such a predictable, one-dimensional, and sexualized female character who seems to wield only one power: seduction. First it was only cliche, but now it's bordering on painful because it's all very predictable.

Also, it feels at times as if there's very little actual progress, and we aren't going anywhere with character development. There's little explained motivation for most of the characters' actions, with the exception of Bruce--which, for being a Batman prequel, has a lot of Bruce in it.

I'm also hoping they spice up the format soon so it's not just villain of the week and some minor gang war developments.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Carol Kane! Carol Kane! CA-ROL KANE!!!

My only question is what's with "Kristin Kringle?" The name doesn't ring bells, except the Christmas kind. Is she maybe a reference to Mr. Freeze?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was skeptical at first, but after the last episode, this theory is starting to gain ground.

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Gotham-Theory-Oswald-Cobblepot-Joker-36010902

My first thought upon seeing the psycho psychiatrist lady is that she was a form of Harley Quinn, or at least a predecessor / causative agent in Harley's formation. So, if we go with the assumption that Oswald is the Joker, it's possible that she's what turns him into the man with the perpetual smile.

If the show-runners are truly building toward the Joker with every episode, there are very few characters who could fit the bill.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I was skeptical at first, but after the last episode, this theory is starting to gain ground.
Oh, I hope they don't go that route! I thought placing the penguin front and center gave them a unique spin/perspective. If they cop out and make him the joker I'll feel very disappointed. Also, I thought his nose was quite pointed and beaklike and wondered early on if it was a prosthetic. And the whole, 'he needs to be short and fat' is just bs. He's a young man at this point. Believe me as a man who was tall and slender most of his life...Things change!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmmm,

Is it just me, or is Barbara (Gordon's girlfriend) becoming more annoying with each episode?

Can't put my finger on it, but I just don't trust her. :Shrug:

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Barbara (Gordon's girlfriend) becoming more annoying with each episode?

Can't put my finger on it, but I just don't trust her. :Shrug:

I kind of feel that way too.

I'm officially three episodes behind!! :eek: I've got lots of catching up to do.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I can't open the link. Sadness. Can you give a recap of the theory, please? Thanks...

It's a breakdown of a theory that Oswald is actually the Joker-to-be. Original Penguin was short and round, and mainly a thief / bruiser. Joker's the tall, thin cold blooded killer, so current Oswald is more like Joker than Penguin.

Basically, the idea is that Oswald pays the portly photog who snapped his picture on the warf with Gordon to assume the name Oswald Cobblepot in self-defense, then remakes himself as Joker.

IF that's correct, I think the psychiatrist lady from the last episode is a cypher for Harley Quinn and will be the one to light the fuse on his transformation. Big IF, but there you go.

If the show-runners really are teasing that character, and building toward him each week, there aren't too many other characters it could be.

shibby

Registered
Reaction score
But Penguin was born, Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot. He has been called Penguin by a few people already. He's going to be Penguin.

Why would he be The Joker?

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
This theory business reminds me of when Smallville first came on and I had this theory that Chloe had to die by the end of the series to give Clark Kent the impetus he needed to go to Metropolis and become a journalist, where he would later don the tights. Of course I was wrong. But I wanted to be right and it was just convoluted enough to get others (online anyway) excited by the idea.